Sponsored by:

Bad tower for Porsche Roadside Assistance

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 08:46 PM
AKawasaki
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Bad tower for Porsche Roadside Assistance

Today I had my 2018 C4GTS towed (by Custom Towing, MD) to Porsche of Rockville due to a rear flat tire. All arranged through Porsche Roadside Assistance.

Custom Towing managed to scrape the exhaust tips and bottom of the exhaust on the asphalt while residing the car onto the flatbed. They left a foot long marks on the asphalt. The bottom of my car’s exhaust tips are now ground down to bare metal.

I am am greatly disappointed that Porsche Roadside Assistance would use this towing company. I checked on Yelp and this lousy towing company (Custom Towing, MD) has a history of doing this. The dealership stated I would need to folllow-up with Custom Towing. This to is also disappointing, since it does not readily speak to their customer support.

Ultimately, those of you in the Rockville, Gaithersburg and Montgomery County MD area do not use Custom Towing. They will damage your car. Regarding Porsche Roadside Assistance, I question their vetting process (or lack there of) of the vendors and 3rd parties they use. Porsche approved or authorized is meaningless from my perspective.

Very disappointed.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:50 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Wow, sorry to hear this. I think that you might wish to press PAG to make good on the Tip replacement. I would be willing to bet a beer that they make you whole.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:55 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,142 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
Wow, sorry to hear this. I think that you might wish to press PAG to make good on the Tip replacement. I would be willing to bet a beer that they make you whole.
I think you meant PCNA and not PAG but I agree. The dealerships really have little to with it....they are not Porsche - they are franchises owned by private business people. PCNA is Porsche who negotiated the road side assistance.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:03 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Your agreement was with Porsche RSA. If THEY contracted out then the damage is contractually on them.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:31 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I know it won’t help you now, but next time fix it yourself using the slime kit in the frunk. Very easy to do. I’ll never tow my car if I can help it.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:43 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,142 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I know it won’t help you now, but next time fix it yourself using the slime kit in the frunk. Very easy to do. I’ll never tow my car if I can help it.
I would be interested in hearing experiences with this stuff.....

I thought that it screws up your TPMS and gunks up the inside rim and is a pain to remove.

I carry a plug kit with me. I hope I never have to use it.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:02 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

I also carry a plug kit--counting on the voodoo.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:03 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Plug kit. I can fix a tire in under 5 minutes. Buy lots of plugs, practice on an old tire, and get the kit with the T handles. Walmart $10. The cheap Walmart compressor works fine too. $25 out the door for everything or so.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:25 AM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Land Rover was towed via road side assist. Company they used cinched down SUV via straps through wheels. Left a (rub) mark on all 4 black rims. Annoyed but I gave up and moved on. Wasn't happy but that is our fun car and it goes off roading, camping, dog in back, etc..,

But boy I'd be pissed if it happened to my GTS' CL wheels. Don't blame you.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:36 AM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

All these towing companies are of dubious reputation. They are subcontractors and are used to towing anything from Priuses to Accords. I just had my Acura towed by AAA and they also used a subcontractor. By the way, hello from MoCo!
Old 11-10-2017, 07:44 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Did you get any prior indication that the tire was going down? Or was it a sudden catastrophic loss of tire pressure?

Often, we can baby these things along, by airing up, and/or the use of a tire plug kit or the Porsche sealant, to avoid towing and the dreaded roadside assistance.

Using our excellent multi function display menu, I check tire status no less than twice on every drive.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:32 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

I had read elsewhere on RL that use of the slime kit should be avoided. You will end up paying extra for the labor to clean the wheel and most likely be buying another TPMS sensor.

I carry a plug kit - though I don't carry a jack so it will be an interesting adventure if I have to plug a tire.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:44 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Originally Posted by Jabs1542
I had read elsewhere on RL that use of the slime kit should be avoided. You will end up paying extra for the labor to clean the wheel and most likely be buying another TPMS sensor.
I think the new "slime" has been improved, and this is not an issue now with the TPMS. Archimedes should know and can confirm??
Old 11-10-2017, 09:46 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default AAA BMW

Had AAA towing a project BMW to the body shop. I had owned the car less than a week. Flat bed driver somehow floored it and drive into his own cab destroying the front end. The tow company paid and apologized but did not make it suck any less. Now I just borrow a trailer.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:42 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

My alternator died a few years ago, called Porsche Roadside and tow truck came about 2-3 hours later (it was a Sunday). Guy did a careful job of pulling car up onto the flatbed, then started to strap the wheels down and I said, "whoa, don't do that, you will f up my wheels!" He looked at me like I was crazy and said, "don't worry, these straps don't mar." I let him strap the wheel down and hoped for the best. When I picked up the car, no issues with the wheel. Who knows, maybe the guy did not cinch down on the strap when I expressed concern.

Quick Reply: Bad tower for Porsche Roadside Assistance