Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 w/ X51 Powerkit as a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 12:23 PM
hopetogolf
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 991 w/ X51 Powerkit as a daily driver?

Hello all...long time lurker.

Assume you have a short in-town commute over not so great but not horrible roads. Would you consider a used 991 with X51 as a daily driver? The car will probably not be tracked but may autocross once or twice a year. It would probably get 10k miles a year on the dial. This car will also be driven in the rain and mid-Atlantic snow (assuming I can make this work if I buy snow tires). I would probably keep the car for a long time with an assumption that it could be my last car with an internal combustion engine.

Yes the car will not be utilized to its potential but would I be hurting the engine/mechanical parts and destroying the value by driving it this way?

For the record, I am thinking about a number of different cars for my next purchase including potentially a Cayman. That said, I saw the above for sale and it looks very interesting, albeit a lot of car and probably blowing tens of thousands of dollars (vs. the alternatives) but getting myself into a car that will be fun and on “my list” since I was a kid. Frankly, my head is telling me buying this car is pretty stupid unless I’m comfortable taking the money and essentially setting it on fire since most of the seat time will be spent at slow speeds and not really “enjoying” the car.

There is so much to think about with this purchase, it can drive someone to drink. I’m getting close to saying YOLO on this one.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:43 PM
Philip Goughary
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:48 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

You won't be able to tell it's an X51 car on a commute!

Yes - if you have the chance to get one.... without question.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:50 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

YOLO indeed, and the X51 kit will be just fine in a DD. Make the purchase and never look back.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:58 PM
phx991
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You won't hurt the car, but if you're not going to use the horsepower, you may want to consider spending it on things you will see and use every day, such as full leather, Bose, sunroof, wheels, PSE (assuming this car does not already have all that stuff).

I bought a 991.2 base that I track once a month and I don't regret not getting a car with more power. If I had to do it over, and had it been available at the time, I would have gone with a 911T with full leather, ventilated seats, and black satin wheels. Those will be must have items on my next 911, along with PSE depending on how that's implemented on the 992.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:02 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 134 Posts

I can't imagine you're going to find a "don't do it" vote here...but you never know.

Get it, it'll make you happy on a daily basis. FWIW, I had a 996 4S when I lived in New York and used it as my daily car. I had a second set of wheels with snow tires that were on the car from first threat of snow until around Easter and, except for ground clearance, it worked great. And, honestly, ground clearance was typically not a problem for the way it was used.

YOLO, indeed. If you can afford it, don't over think it.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:47 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Whether or not you have the money / want to spend the money on a car like this for a short daily commute is one question only YOU can answer.

To your original question, no you won't be destroying the car unless that's ALL you ever do with it. In which case, back to my first statement above, you don't want this car. But the beauty of the 911 is you CAN commute in it and then take it out for a romp on the weekends. But you must do the latter...take it out, give it the "italian tune up" get the fluids up to temp for an extended period of time, burn the carbon out of it, etc. or you will have issues. But that's with any modern car.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:50 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by mathfuzzy
I can't imagine you're going to find a "don't do it" vote here...but you never know.

If it is pretty much ONLY going to be a daily driver - may want to consider [the boring] #2 car base with all the niceties for similar monies.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:54 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,203 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by hopetogolf
Hello all...long time lurker.

Assume you have a short in-town commute over not so great but not horrible roads. Would you consider a used 991 with X51 as a daily driver? The car will probably not be tracked but may autocross once or twice a year. It would probably get 10k miles a year on the dial. This car will also be driven in the rain and mid-Atlantic snow (assuming I can make this work if I buy snow tires). I would probably keep the car for a long time with an assumption that it could be my last car with an internal combustion engine.
I would definitely do it but make sure during the winter/cold months you wind it out every week or so as short in-town commutes may not get the engine warmed up enough to burn off the water vapors in your engine.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:04 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

OP....Let me know if you're interested in a 991 C4S with an X51 Powerkit (and PDCC, PDK, and tons of leather), as I have one I am contemplating selling. As you may know, 991s with X51 are extremely rare. Once I asked a dealer and he thought fewer than one percent of (non-GTS) 991s have X51 Powerkits.

Old 11-08-2017, 03:06 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

I drove mine daily....
Old 11-08-2017, 03:15 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Hurricane
I drove mine daily....
Yeah - how'd that work out for you....
Old 11-08-2017, 04:40 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Yeah - how'd that work out for you....
Could have happened in any car. So you suggest I shouldn't take it out to drive five minutes away to pick up dinner?

You can keep yours hermetically sealed in bubble wrap, that's fine, but I don't buy cars to put on a rotating pedestal as a museum piece in your life sized curio cabinet. Life happens.
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

I am unaware of anything that would impact daily driving except for always being tempted to feel the extra rush above 5k RPM. Ok that could be serious.
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
OP....Let me know if you're interested in a 991 C4S with an X51 Powerkit (and PDCC, PDK, and tons of leather), as I have one I am contemplating selling. As you may know, 991s with X51 are extremely rare. Once I asked a dealer and he thought fewer than one percent of (non-GTS) 991s have X51 Powerkits.

Oh man, I love that pic. Looks like you have all the cool options and I absolutely love Sport Techno wheels.

I need few more months before I buy another car. I will hit you up if you still have yours by then.

Quick Reply: 991 w/ X51 Powerkit as a daily driver?