991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did you choose a 4S?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017 | 07:53 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

I and previously had a 4 and then an S. I found I missed the wider hips while I had the 997.2 S but that was about it. The S did feel a bit more nimble.

When searching for the current car, after 3 months of looking I finally found a 4S with every option I wanted except one I could add later. I really like the light bar so that was a plus too. The 4 also seems to be helpful in autocross, I seem to be in better control on the really tight courses there than the S's I have seen.

One observation I had during my hunt is that I'm pretty certain that 4S's on average are more fully optioned than the average S. I guess the folks buying them new tend to willing to spend more money on the car. I don't know if this is true or not???
Old 11-05-2017 | 08:50 AM
boatracer
Rennlist Member

My 991.2 C4S was an easy choice for most of the already stated reasons:

1. Mine is a daily driver, including through MI winter
2. Love the looks of it
3. My wife does drive it s bit, including in winter and I want peace of mind
4. I wanted the best daily option of the 911 range and GTS wasn’t available when I got mine. Considering a TTS next time.
Old 11-05-2017 | 08:55 AM
budrichard
Banned

Originally Posted by ducstar
I live in mild Northern California. I will be driving it mostly on the weekends. Not tracking. Definitely not in the snow if I can help it. I'd like to keep the paint as nice as possible.

I have had a 991.2 C4S for a year and a half.
Daily driver here in Wisconsin with a Porsche 19”ContiWinterContact pakage for the winter. Ran two SnowCrosses last winter at RA as well as two summer Track Seasons.
You would be well served by a C2, period!
Save the money, for something that will sit in your garage as you will never use it’s potential, C2, GTS or GTS4.
The C2 is more than enough car.
If I didn’t drive in snow, I would have a C2.
It’s only on Track that you can use a fraction of the traction and power of an C4S.-Richard
Old 11-05-2017 | 09:04 AM
911seeker
Pro

I was searching for a list of must have options and I happened to find them in a 4S. No regrets.

I wanted to try a RWD in the track to see what I was maybe missing, so did a Porsche experience with a 991.2 c2S in Atlanta a month ago. Didn't feel different on the circuit, but was definitely easier to break the rear loose in the low friction areas. Actually, even the instructors had a hard time completing the "circles" sliding in a 4S that was there as well.

If buying new, and if was to be owned in Florida, I would do RWD most likely.
Old 11-05-2017 | 09:06 AM
911seeker
Pro

I forgot to add that it would be more for the money saved than for the fun difference
Old 11-05-2017 | 10:08 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

I went from a 4S to the Turbo S so I really like the widebody look. It is just a preference for me as I think the widebody stance is more appealing. The AWD is awesome for driving also and really is only used when necessary. But it feels more planted and sure in the corners. Even in areas with good weather year round the driving characteristics are noticeable.
And again the look is beautiful.
Old 11-05-2017 | 10:56 AM
kuma1416
Racer

If I lived in northern CA, I'd get a C2S and save the extra money on options, no question. In the midwest where I am, I thought the C4S would be more helpful in inclement weather. Go to a dealer and look at a C2S and C4S side by side for 5 minutes- if you think the difference in looks is worth the $, get the C4S, or else you'll always be regretting it.
Old 11-05-2017 | 11:05 AM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

To each his own, but to me the C4 simply comes with more weight and more aerodynamic drag. Why would I pay extra for that? Of course, I'm an engineer.
Old 11-05-2017 | 04:13 PM
Spyharpy
6th Gear

If you haven't seen this, Nick Murray has video on the difference between the two.

Old 11-05-2017 | 08:27 PM
budrichard
Banned

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
To each his own, but to me the C4 simply comes with more weight and more aerodynamic drag. Why would I pay extra for that? Of course, I'm an engineer.
What are your degree or degrees in and from where?
Any engineer I would have ever work for me, wouldn’t make that statement without quantative data that the weight and increased drag would result in any quantitive negative effect!-Richard
BTW. You pay extra for traction out of corners and acceleration!
Old 11-05-2017 | 08:30 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Originally Posted by subshooter
Reading what you are writing, I think the GTS is the car for you. Wide body, RWD, handles great. It's also at the top of the Carrera lineup.
Yup, that's what I went with. I was going to order a C4 with SC, PSE, tinted lights, SD mirrors, GT steering wheel. But no allocations. So ordered RWD GTS, dealer happy to assist, and I could get SPASM too. I will DD with winter tires but have a beater AWD BWM for snow days.

If you are ordering your own build (and you should), factor in what allocations your dealer has, it may make the decision for you.

Quick Reply: Why did you choose a 4S?