Sponsored by:

Night-night for the winter

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 04:13 PM
MeshGearFox
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Night-night for the winter

After an Indian summer for the books, temperatures finally dropped today. Suppose I could have stretched it out to Thanksgiving, but decided to take advantage of the fair weather to put my 991.2 to bed. Got my last wash in for the season; picked up some remnant carpet squares for the tires to rest on; filled her up and added some Stabil; plugged in the trickle-charger; and covered her up. Let’s see yours tucked in for the winter.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:29 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Looking good, MGF! Got those tires overfilled to about 55-58 PSI? Please do me a favor, and throw a zip-tie on the top bike rack. That's got me a little nervous. I'm working in the garage now. I'll be done next weekend. The big stuff (wheels, wheel wells, RaggTopp Cleaner, and car washed) is done.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:43 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,143 Likes on 982 Posts

I tried doing this with my Boxster. The first winter, I lasted 7 days until I couldn't stand it anymore and ripped her cover off and took her out for a drive. After three winters of failing to keep her buttoned up for more than a couple weeks, I just gave up on it.

I've never done drugs or been addicted to anything in my life until I bought a Porsche. I get it now.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:50 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Meanwhile, I can't wait to slap on the Sottozeros and the roof rack to go for a ski trip or two.

Btw, Indian summer is right, this feels like some full force global warming, I did not even need a jacket for most of last week.
Old 11-04-2017, 05:24 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

I think there are some good warm driving days left. I am holding out for as long as I can. Been kinda warm here on the east coast - hopefully can hold off on putting her to bed until beginning of December (fingers crossed).
Old 11-04-2017, 05:55 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 522 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by MeshGearFox
After an Indian summer for the books, temperatures finally dropped today. Suppose I could have stretched it out to Thanksgiving, but decided to take advantage of the fair weather to put my 991.2 to bed. Got my last wash in for the season; picked up some remnant carpet squares for the tires to rest on; filled her up and added some Stabil; plugged in the trickle-charger; and covered her up. Let’s see yours tucked in for the winter.
Her next owner will be very pleased.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:08 PM
RichAA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

October 20. Gorgeous morning, and a spirited drive with my son in his GTI to drop it off. (repost, sorry)

Old 11-04-2017, 10:37 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't the Germans in Germany drive their non awd Porsches all year long. They are designed for German weather.

I have awd car and live in the North East, so I am not the one to talk

But my believe is any Porsche 911 will be fine in decent winter roads
Old 11-04-2017, 11:00 PM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 76 Posts

My TTS went into winter storage (at a local car dealer's storage facility, heated, cared for, paid for) on Nov. 2. A melancholy time. Things start looking up on "hump day", the storage half-way mark, in mid-January. This coming week, my C6 Vette gets pre-traded when I sign my new order for a new Boxster GTS. Next spring, there will be two expected arrivals -- the TTS from hibernation, and the Boxster GTS from across the great pond!
Old 11-04-2017, 11:24 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Too early, I was on the roads between Fairfield and Danbury today and it felt like Spring all over again
Old 11-05-2017, 09:57 AM
RichAA
Racer

Originally Posted by captainkirk
Don't the Germans in Germany drive their non awd Porsches all year long. They are designed for German weather.

I have awd car and live in the North East, so I am not the one to talk

But my believe is any Porsche 911 will be fine in decent winter roads
I'm sure you're right, but it's not that. They spread rock salt and coarse sand before it snows and during any storm. It's hard on the car, so it makes more sense for me to store the Porsche and drive something else.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:57 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by RichAA
I'm sure you're right, but it's not that. They spread rock salt and coarse sand before it snows and during any storm. It's hard on the car, so it makes more sense for me to store the Porsche and drive something else.
The rocks mixed in with the sand just makes me sick. Roads are ok now in the Northeast, just leaves and a few twigs from the wind. Sometimes we luck out and snow doesn't come until January. I have no issue using the car on clear roads if it isn't too cold for the summer tires.
I've had non-snow worthy cars for the last 13 years (Jag XJ, BMW 535, MB E550 cab), there are days its just fine to use the car. I'd probably be more cautious with the 911, but it will be driven on warmer days if the streets aren't too rocky. I'd never be able to not use it all winter....
Old 11-05-2017, 01:52 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

What a sad collection of pictures. Real men put on snow tires--and do it themselves.

Yes I have a beater for the bad days, but plenty of beautiful blue sky driving days throughout the long New England winter, if you can stand the occasional rock chips.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:15 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

I used to do the same when I lived in Iowa. Thank god i don’t have to deal with that anymore. So depressing. However, it is exciting when you get to drive it in the spring again.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:31 PM
neuneleven
Instructor

Central Illinois yesterday here. Still have driving weather, though less and less so. When we get ground frost or I have longer early morning drives, I take my winter truck (the Infiniti to the left in the picture). I did occasionally take the 997 out in Winter when salt was mostly driven off and temps above 40F to treat my addiction. I never completely turned the car down for winter, I guess I'll be doing the same for the 991!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Night-night for the winter