When to do Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 07:14 AM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts
Default When to do Alignment

Hello, Owner of a 4GTS here

Should I do my alignment every time I put on new set of tires?

I just went through the stock set of PZeros after a few trips to the local track (I'm in S Korea). I thought maybe my alignment was off as the left side tires were much more worn compared to my right side. So I went ahead and requested an alignment done while putting on my new tires (trying out Cup 2s) and what do you know my before alignment data was not so off. In hindsight, the track I run is much more right turn intensive, hence I think my greater wear on the left side tires.

But this got me thinking if I indeed need an alignment after every tire change. Also, is there a way to roughly check left/right alignment balance without taking it to the shop, aside from checking tire wear as it looks like my tires will most likely not wear evenly left/right with the current track I'm driving on?

Thank you

C
Attached Images  
Old 11-04-2017, 07:26 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

(1) Were most of the corners right handers - if thats the case the left hand tires take a lot of punishment (obviously the opposite applies).

(2) does your car tramline or feel twitchy - worth an alignment

(3) if you change type of tire - you may want to get an alignment - what works for one brand/type may not work as well for another. (see 2).

(4) when you get an alignment make sure you get a before and after print out.

Lovely photo
Old 11-04-2017, 09:24 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 837 Likes on 418 Posts

I only had one alignment (around 10K miles) so far in my almost 4 years of ownership after the 1st set of tires cup so bad I had to get them replaced.

After a good bit of tweaking to get everything where it needed to be my tires have been wearing perfectly. (almost 75K miles now)
Old 11-04-2017, 10:02 AM
usccharles
Pro

Originally Posted by randr
(1) Were most of the corners right handers - if thats the case the left hand tires take a lot of punishment (obviously the opposite applies).

(2) does your car tramline or feel twitchy - worth an alignment

(3) if you change type of tire - you may want to get an alignment - what works for one brand/type may not work as well for another. (see 2).

(4) when you get an alignment make sure you get a before and after print out.

Lovely photo
1) both left and right handers but most of the fast and long spit-rubber-out-the-back corners go right

2) no tram or twitch but thanks noted

3) makes sense

4) yes for sure.

Thank you!
Old 11-04-2017, 10:06 AM
usccharles
Pro

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
I only had one alignment (around 10K miles) so far in my almost 4 years of ownership after the 1st set of tires cup so bad I had to get them replaced.

After a good bit of tweaking to get everything where it needed to be my tires have been wearing perfectly. (almost 75K miles now)
Sorry not sure I understand your message correctly. How many alignments have you had in 75k miles? Only one?? Do you track your car?
Old 11-04-2017, 10:55 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you track your car regularly I would advise once a year. Otherwise, it depends on tire wear and alignment settings. You should have a printout of your settings as a guideline. Also you should get an alignment if you feels the car needs it or if you curb a tire. IMO
Old 11-04-2017, 11:40 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 837 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by usccharles
Sorry not sure I understand your message correctly. How many alignments have you had in 75k miles? Only one?? Do you track your car?

Just one alignment ....... one track day..... multiple spirited driving car events.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:53 AM
mrmojom3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I paid $60 for the "check and print out" at the local dealer. If I choose to do the alignment then the $60 go towards it.

I'm doing it since mine is a bit off and I want my car to drive perfect
Old 11-04-2017, 12:10 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 61 Posts

Tough to know if your camber is off as easily (you can see that from tire wear mostly) but you can feel if your toe is off if your car isn't tracking straight under full acceleration and braking. In a controlled environment, you can see this by not holding the steering wheel, and accelerating and braking, car should stay perfectly straight (you need piece of asphalt that's even).

It happened to me a few times where I had a few dicey situations on track, hit a curb or two too hard, and the next lap, at the end of the straight, under hard braking, car pulls left or right as opposed to tracking straight, that's usually a clear sign. After each of those incidents, next time car's on the alignment rack toe was definitely way off.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:20 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Out of curiosity how many miles did you get out of the first set?

Alignment certainly isn't needed every set unless there is some wear indication leading you to believe you need it.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:06 PM
usccharles
Pro

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
Just one alignment ....... one track day..... multiple spirited driving car events.
Wow impressive
Old 11-04-2017, 01:16 PM
usccharles
Pro

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
Out of curiosity how many miles did you get out of the first set?

Alignment certainly isn't needed every set unless there is some wear indication leading you to believe you need it.
I did three track days. About 15 sessions total. My left rear corner was very near threadless by the end of third day, rest of tires were still good for a few more track days I presume. then my rear right caught a metal scrap and flattened. So I figugured a good time to replace tires and get an alignment while I’m at it. But seeing with the data sheet that my alignment wasn’t so off before this new alignment, I’m guessing the wear was due to the track characteristics and so plan to investigate more with the new Cup 2s and new alignment and a few more sessions shortly in a couple weeks.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:24 PM
usccharles
Pro

Originally Posted by erko1905
Tough to know if your camber is off as easily (you can see that from tire wear mostly) but you can feel if your toe is off if your car isn't tracking straight under full acceleration and braking. In a controlled environment, you can see this by not holding the steering wheel, and accelerating and braking, car should stay perfectly straight (you need piece of asphalt that's even).

It happened to me a few times where I had a few dicey situations on track, hit a curb or two too hard, and the next lap, at the end of the straight, under hard braking, car pulls left or right as opposed to tracking straight, that's usually a clear sign. After each of those incidents, next time car's on the alignment rack toe was definitely way off.
My car was tracking pretty straight throughout. One thing I did notice by the end of each session was that my car got a bit squirmy under heavy braking I’m guessing because the tires were hot and slimy. Was running 32/36 psi hot. Had good traction until then though.

I’ve been reading up on the cup2s and seems I need to be a bit lower around 29-33 psi with these tires. Will have to experiment soon.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:26 PM
usccharles
Pro

Originally Posted by mrmojom3
I paid $60 for the "check and print out" at the local dealer. If I choose to do the alignment then the $60 go towards it.

I'm doing it since mine is a bit off and I want my car to drive perfect
Good idea. I’ll check if my shop also does a check and print too before committing to an alignment.

Thanks
Old 11-04-2017, 01:30 PM
usccharles
Pro

Originally Posted by seapar
If you track your car regularly I would advise once a year. Otherwise, it depends on tire wear and alignment settings. You should have a printout of your settings as a guideline. Also you should get an alignment if you feels the car needs it or if you curb a tire. IMO
Thank you

Quick Reply: When to do Alignment