Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Anyone skipping the 10K service? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1032667-anyone-skipping-the-10k-service.html)

kuma1416 10-31-2017 10:31 PM

Anyone skipping the 10K service?

Looking at the dealer website, it looks like other than the oil change and service interval reset, everything else at the 10K service is just a "visual inspection" (underbody, brake lines, tires). It seems like if I just change the oil myself q5K miles, then I could just skip this and wait until the 20K check , which is a bit more extensive. Or am I being penny wise and pound foolish?

LexVan 10-31-2017 10:39 PM

Change your own oil, and do the visual inspections. Document your service and save your receipts. Get something like Durametric to reset your service reminder.

If your car is 2 years old, it needs a brake flush.

Airandwater 10-31-2017 10:41 PM

If there are any software or other updates to your car, you'll miss them. But none are likely to be urgent and you can check to see if there are recalls or TSBs. You should visually check all the same things they do, which usually means having a lift. Given that at 10k you are likely still under warranty, seems like you might want to see how things are progressing at the first checkup time point.

Homeles 10-31-2017 10:42 PM

I would say so. You paid +$100K for a car and you want to skip a $250 oil change. Why open a possible can of worms? Pay the $$

Rocket_boy 10-31-2017 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by LexVan (Post 14573009)
Change your own oil, and do the visual inspections. Document your service and save your receipts. Get something like Durametric to reset your service reminder.

If your car is 2 years old, it needs a brake flush.

This,....exactly what I do.....

JW1 10-31-2017 11:34 PM

Isn't the first service at 10K miles included for free?

9ELOVIN 10-31-2017 11:48 PM

For the 991.2, the first service is free. Do not skip. Also, don't bother with a 5000 mile oil change. Unless you have been tracking the car, it's just not needed anymore.

subshooter 10-31-2017 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by 9ELOVIN (Post 14573159)
For the 991.2, the first service is free. Do not skip. Also, don't bother with a 5000 mile oil change. Unless you have been tracking the car, it's just not needed anymore.

Yep. On both points.

stealthboy 11-01-2017 09:10 AM

I did my own 4 year / 40K service. I printed out the official Porsche tech checklist and went through every single item, checking them off as I completed them. I even signed it as the tech who performed the work :). Filed it away in my service binder for the future.

ericmeds 11-01-2017 09:58 PM

I just had my oil changed @ the dealer and it was 405 buckaroonies.

Topped it off 2 days after because it lost one of the green dots :X

Originally Posted by Homeles (Post 14573015)
I would say so. You paid +$100K for a car and you want to skip a $250 oil change. Why open a possible can of worms? Pay the $$

Archimedes 11-01-2017 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Homeles (Post 14573015)
I would say so. You paid +$100K for a car and you want to skip a $250 oil change.

If only. The 10k service is a lot more than $250.

stout 11-01-2017 10:07 PM

People do. Depends on what your goal is with the car, and how you view your stewardship over it.

One thing to remember is that the 10,000-mile intervals have more to do with what consumers want than what engines "want." 3000-mile intervals are excessive in this day and age of oils and metallurgy—but I like oil changes at 5000 miles or every year a lot better than 10,000 miles. I also like an early oil change (500-1500 miles) as or after the engine is broken in. Is that the easy or cheap way? No. Is it necessary? For those who are leasing the car, the minimum might be the best way. For those who might buy it, or did, or just care about the car, the answer might be different.

I won't claim to know what's right for you, but I'll stick to a pre-emptive oil change @ 500-1500 miles followed by changes at 5000-mile intervals. A friend who worked in the motor oil industry and raced a factory 3.0-liter Carrera RSR viewed oil changes before and after every race weekend as "cheap insurance" even just a few years ago. And he would've known...

Dewinator 11-02-2017 02:45 AM

If you plan to only have the car for a couple years, you can probably in fact skimp on the services and leave issues that might arise because of it to sucker future owners that buy your neglected car unbeknownst...

However if you plan to keep the car for a long time like me, it’s probably best to get some pro eyes (whether dealer or indy) on the car every 10k miles to make sure everything is going well, but change the oil yourself every 5k because it’s really easy.

stout 11-02-2017 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Dewinator (Post 14575736)
If you plan to only have the car for a couple years, you can probably in fact skimp on the services and leave issues that might arise because of it to sucker future owners that buy your neglected car unbeknownst...

However if you plan to keep the car for a long time like me, it’s probably best to get some pro eyes (whether dealer or indy) on the car every 10k miles to make sure everything is going well, but change the oil yourself every 5k because it’s really easy.

^ Fully agreed if you'll just turn the car back in at the end of the lease or have someone else sell it on. Still, it bothers me to not treat a nice car well.

Only thing that has me thinking twice about doing my own oil services is resetting the oil level—which apparently requires a PIWIS tool. I understand some owners and some shops get around this by measuring whatever they took out and replacing it with the same amount of oil, but this seems a bit imprecise? Gotta love that you have to "set the oil level" now. I thought losing the old-fashioned dipstick was bad...now it sounds like the electronic "dipstick" is variable and set-able. Gotta love "progress."

Dewinator 11-02-2017 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by stout (Post 14575743)
Only thing that has me thinking twice about doing my own oil services is resetting the oil level—which apparently requires a PIWIS tool. I understand some owners and some shops get around this by measuring whatever they took out and replacing it with the same amount of oil, but this seems a bit imprecise? Gotta love that you have to "set the oil level" now. I thought losing the old-fashioned dipstick was bad...now it sounds like the electronic "dipstick" is variable and set-able. Gotta love "progress."

I think the set your oil level thing is a rumor... I just put the recommended amount from the manual back in, grit my teeth and drive it around enough to get the computer to do a reading, and top it off until it say it’s within a dot of optimal. Hasn’t blown up yet.