Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS with coilover upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 04:30 PM
991.2GTS
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

side question. Anyone thinking of getting the GT3 sway bar, drop links? and the Tarett rear bar and drop links?
Old 11-04-2017, 12:46 PM
quattr0
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 991.2GTS
side question. Anyone thinking of getting the GT3 sway bar, drop links? and the Tarett rear bar and drop links?
I have a base 991.2 and do plan to have gt3 conrrol arms, front and rear anti-roll bars, springs and spacers installed next year. I have a quote from my shop if you r interested.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:46 AM
GNH
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have KW on my 991 and LOVE them. If anyone has questions on them feel free to PM me. Can also refer you to an awesome shop that took great care of me.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:29 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,022 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Understand the need for coil-overs in race cars.

Understood the need for coil-overs in older street cars.

Stopped understanding the "upgrade" around the time PASM showed up. Tested a very well set up 997 Turbo with GT3 arms, new ARBs, etc on stock PASM dampers with H&R springs and then the exact same car on $10,000 coil-overs set up by a big-name shop. The car was MUCH better on back roads with the PASM and H&R springs, and I was surprised to find that I preferred it that way on track, too.

So the upgrade might actually be a downgrade. Especially as PASM has only gotten better since the 997 era. My advice? Start with DSC and/or some H&R springs if you want to get the car a little lower and a little firmer. The beauty of PASM dampers is they adjust to deal with the oscillations as needed...and were set up by some of the best suspension people on earth.

EDIT: Just saw that you're in Taiwan. May I recommend calling Tom or Mike at TPC Racing in Maryland? I know it's a world away, but I've come across very few people who have a "knack" for great street cars that also do well with track work. Mike Levitas is one of them. It would be interesting to see what he says. I'm sure DSC will be part of his solution, but I'd be curious what else he would recommend. Nice call on the move from RS to GTS—should be a great car as a daily!

TPC is the RIGHT company to go to for something like this, and I echo the fact that coilovers in this case won't be the best solution. TPC will definitely have the best solution for this overall. FWIW, I've been through JRZ, moton, ohlins, bilstien AND H&R products...if that helps out...

I think the sweet spot for these cars is playing with control arms, shims and springs, tires and a few similar parts to get a proper alignment and road feel you're looking for.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:46 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
TPC is the RIGHT company to go to for something like this, and I echo the fact that coilovers in this case won't be the best solution. TPC will definitely have the best solution for this overall. FWIW, I've been through JRZ, moton, ohlins, bilstien AND H&R products...if that helps out...

I think the sweet spot for these cars is playing with control arms, shims and springs, tires and a few similar parts to get a proper alignment and road feel you're looking for.
^ One who gets it, and clearly seeks the same thing I do in a sports car.

If we haven't met already, I hope we'll do so down the road…
Old 11-07-2017, 07:43 PM
rcusick
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do not do coil overs

Trust me. Try dsc before coil overs. Wore thing that happens is you buy some more aggressive bilsteins or tractive coilovers. I loved kws on my bmws but something is seriously off with the spring rates on 911s.
The following users liked this post:
isugoo (04-03-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 06:55 AM
Irish996
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by quattr0
I have a base 991.2 and do plan to have gt3 conrrol arms, front and rear anti-roll bars, springs and spacers installed next year. I have a quote from my shop if you r interested.
Looking to do similar on my base 991.2. Can you let me know if you went ahead with this and how it turned out?

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS with coilover upgrade?