Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kind of watches to 911T shoppers wear?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 07:01 PM
KONG991TT
Rennlist Member

Received 333 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by lamacan
he asked opinions. i gave one. i didn't say "wow why would you buy such a stupid thing?" i said "personally not a fan." to each their own.
I’m curious- what’s your problem with a conglomerate brand? I mean hell, Porsche is owned by Volkswagen AG (who Porsche automobile holdings also has a controlling stake in).
Old 04-17-2020, 07:07 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,554 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by KONG991TT
I’m curious- what’s your problem with a conglomerate brand? I mean hell, Porsche is owned by Volkswagen AG (who Porsche automobile holdings also has a controlling stake in).
Agreed. Some would consider Rolex to be a conglomerate unto itself considering their sister brand Tudor. I think combine they sell around a million watches per year and been using most of the same tooling since 1950s. Not knocking Rolex at all. They make great watches, but with Tudor they make products at many price points.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:24 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 888 Likes on 400 Posts

A covey of Kobolds...

Plenty of drama associated with this brand and Michael himself. All unfounded in my experience.

The following users liked this post:
B Russ (04-17-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 07:27 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by B Russ
Thoughts?
I owned several over the years, but they've all come and gone. This was when you could make money flipping the right ones...
You have the wrist for it. Great looking, subdued watch, and you're only going to see others in the wild if you hang with lawyers or Wall Street money types. Keep rocking it and wear in the best of health!

​​​​​
The following 2 users liked this post by S S:
B Russ (04-17-2020), Carlo_Carrera (04-17-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 09:09 PM
KONG991TT
Rennlist Member

Received 333 Likes on 172 Posts

not a panerai fan. personally not a fan of any "conglomerate" owned brand. only rolex, patek and AP for me.
he asked opinions. i gave one. i didn't say "wow why would you buy such a stupid thing?" i said "personally not a fan." to each their own.
What I find paradoxical is the how you can say "to each their own" in defense to telling someone "not a fan of Panerai" (theirs) under the guise of "I don't like conglomerate brands". The crescendo was your smug follow-up comment "only rolex, patek and AP for me". The fact that you can mingle on a Porsche forum and talk watches (although I'd question whether you're actually a watch guy) shows that you've found some success in life but have failed to learn any class or humility along the way. You strike me as a person who holds themselves in a much higher regard than what others actually hold you in.

Carry on Mr.-Only-Rolex-Patek-AP-for-me-because-I-only-like-non-Conglomerate-owned-brands. Carry on.
T3X4S (04-19-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 12:00 AM
lamacan
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 230 Posts

totally true. but my basis for wanting one product isn't the same for wanting another. i like "benchmark" products. i think there's something special about brands that blend ubiquity with exclusivity. i don't like having something you see all over the place. 911 is a perfect example. super rare? no. but it's the benchmark, up or down, that all sports cars are measured against. Carrera T great example, not technically the "best" 911, but it's special for a variety of reasons, and actually far fewer of them produced than the "better" 911's. GT3, Turbo, etc.

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Agreed. Some would consider Rolex to be a conglomerate unto itself considering their sister brand Tudor. I think combine they sell around a million watches per year and been using most of the same tooling since 1950s. Not knocking Rolex at all. They make great watches, but with Tudor they make products at many price points.
sure, but it's proprietary. rolex's aren't particularly spectacular watches from a technical perspective, but they have a history and influence in culture (like a 911) that makes them a barometer in its own sector. rolex is also a non-profit.

there's also the element that, with the brands i mentioned, if you buy the right pieces, they will never, ever, ever go down in value. and in many cases (literally every watch i own) are worth 50%-100% more than you paid the second you walk out the store.

i'm not evangelizing the merits of one brand over another or telling someone how to spend their money. everyone can and should do with their money whatever it is they choose to. like anything,

Old 04-18-2020, 12:09 AM
lamacan
Rennlist Member

What I find paradoxical is the how you can say "to each their own" in defense to telling someone "not a fan of Panerai" (theirs) under the guise of "I don't like conglomerate brands". The crescendo was your smug follow-up comment "only rolex, patek and AP for me". The fact that you can mingle on a Porsche forum and talk watches (although I'd question whether you're actually a watch guy) shows that you've found some success in life but have failed to learn any class or humility along the way. You strike me as a person who holds themselves in a much higher regard than what others actually hold you in.

Carry on Mr.-Only-Rolex-Patek-AP-for-me-because-I-only-like-non-Conglomerate-owned-brands. Carry on.
not really. read below. you're making it about money. it's not about money. that Panerai is way more than many Rolex's.

he didn't say "here's mine." he said "thoughts?"

and yeah, those brands for me, not because i look down on other peoples choices. but because they're investment pieces. so if i am going to spend $23,000 on a watch, i'd like to not lose money on that purchase. i can buy a 5711, wear it for a year or two, and sell it for double, and move on to the next piece. it's better than keeping cash in a vanguard account. i've done this for years and by this point my entire collection is beyond well beyond free by now.

i love omegas too due to their cultural influence/importance. they have a place in history. there is a sentimental element to it. every watch should have a story. many times certain brands lend themselves to a higher likelihood of an interesting story.

if he said "check this out, my grandpa won it in a french dice match during WW2 and gave it to me in his will." i'd be like "wow that's a ****ing awesome story."

some watches are stories by themselves. some have a story attached to them. any watch with a good story is a cool *** watch.
S S (04-18-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 01:13 AM
GONEIN10
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 26 Posts

Old 04-18-2020, 01:47 AM
ducktails
Racer

Received 463 Likes on 189 Posts

rolex's aren't particularly spectacular watches from a technical perspective, but they have a history and influence in culture (like a 911) that makes them a barometer in its own sector.
Also, the experience for a first-time buyer walking into an AD asking for a stainless sports Rolex is exactly same as the experience for someone who walks into a Porsche dealer inquiring about a GT car
S S (04-18-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 01:51 AM
lamacan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ducktails
Also, the experience for a first-time buyer walking into an AD asking for a stainless sports Rolex is exactly same as the experience for someone who walks into a Porsche dealer inquiring about a GT car
not wrong.
Old 04-19-2020, 05:45 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts

As much as I love seeing different pictures of watches (some of which are unique), I hate these types of threads because they appear to me to be a marketing inquiry or an inquiry by one who simply wants to keep up with the Jones, so to speak. That said, there is nothing wrong with posting your watch and sharing (even if it’s a coy photograph with the Porsche emblem or other item in the background that the poster wants us to see). My only concern is the cross-post criticism about one watch or another. I find it amusing that one who wears a higher end watch would criticize another higher end watch when the opinion is clearly subjective, notwithstanding whether the opinion concerns the watch’s appearance or cost or rationale for buying it. Those who criticize others for what watch they wear should seek life elsewhere.
The following 2 users liked this post by awrryan:
Alansglide (04-19-2020), KONG991TT (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 07:47 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 206 Posts
Default Jaeger Perpetual...

S S (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 09:05 AM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 569 Posts

No one Needs a $100k toy car either lol
KONG991TT (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 09:44 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by B Russ
No one Needs a $100k toy car either lol
Couldn't agree more. We are fortunate and I am grateful for what I have had the opportunity to do.
The following 2 users liked this post by rnl:
KONG991TT (04-19-2020), sr5959 (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 10:47 AM
S S
Burning Brakes

Unfortunately just a reissue... But still a great watch.

The following 2 users liked this post by S S:
B Russ (04-19-2020), dukerules (04-19-2020)

Quick Reply: What kind of watches to 911T shoppers wear?