Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS - xpel + cquartz finest reserve

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 12:22 AM
PorscheFrank
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 991.2 GTS - xpel + cquartz finest reserve

Hello! Long time lurker here with my first post.

First off I wanted to thank everyone here for all the information and advice you’ve unknowingly given me. You’ve answered so many of my questions and eased so many of my concerns. I’m truly grateful!

Today I picked up my car after getting an xpel wrap and cquartz finest reserve application and wanted to share my initial thoughts.

For the the xpel I initially was thinking to get what seems to be the standard application of full front + A pillars + rocker panels including replacement of the factory shark fin and a little bit behind on the rear bumper behind the rear wheel wells. Upon further consideration I decided I couldn’t live with any “lines” from the film cuts so I decided to wrap the entire car minus the doors and most of the rear bumper. You might be asking “why not just do the whole car at that point” and in retrospect I probably should have just done the whole car but i felt like I had to draw the line somewhere as the job was getting way more expensive than I intended.

Before the xpel was put on the car was thoroughly cleaned, decontaminated and the paint was corrected for very light swirls and cleaning marks.

I read some horror stories of crappy wrap jobs and was nervous about the results but I’m happy to report that the wrap came out great. I really can not tell it’s on the car. Every edge is wrapped and there are no lines anywhere including on the corners of the frunk near the hinges. It’s 100% true that your satisfaction with any PPF job is totally dependent on the level of skill of the installer and the amount of care they put into the install. Dirk at Darien Detail in Darien CT did an outstanding job. It wasn’t cheap (at all) and it took a long time (more than a week to complete everything) but I think the quality of the job was well worth it.

In addition I decided to get cquartz finest reserve applied. I enjoy washing and waxing my cars but I wanted to give ceramic coatings a try and heard good things about the level of protection and gloss that could be achieved with Cquartz finest reserve. Apparently cquartz finest reserve was introduced within the last year and is their most advanced ceramic coating product. I had a chance to see the car after the xpel was installed but before the coating was put on and when I went to pick up the car a couple days later I was very impressed and even surprised with the level of gloss. If you like the “wet look”I think you will love cquartz finest reserve. The paint looks and feels very slick. He applied two coats and three in the higher wear areas. obviously the coating is still new so I can’t speak to the longevity or ease of cleaning but I’m hopeful for good things. I’ll report back after a few months.

Anyway i I was able to take some pics while on the lift at the shop. You don’t get the full effect but I think you get the idea.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:32 AM
9ELOVIN
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 36 Posts

Looks great. Are you going to drive it through the winter?
Old 10-31-2017, 12:52 AM
PorscheFrank
Racer

Originally Posted by 9ELOVIN
Looks great. Are you going to drive it through the winter?
Thanks! I’d love to drive it during the winter but I haven’t figured out a winter wheel and tire solution yet.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:41 AM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 178 Posts

What a beauty! More pics outside please!
Old 10-31-2017, 07:20 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Looks great. I have CQuartz Pro now since late September. Very pleased. Prior to that I had OptiCoat Pro. Makes washing much-much easier with these nano coatings.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:16 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 182 Likes on 97 Posts

LexVan are you still having a pro installer do the nano coating and then take care of the Wheels yourself or do you do the whole shabang now?
Old 10-31-2017, 08:34 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
LexVan are you still having a pro installer do the nano coating and then take care of the Wheels yourself or do you do the whole shabang now?
Been using Lustr since about 2010.

They did the 991 in early 2014, again in late 2015, both OptiCoat Pro. Then they did The CQuartz Pro last month. I have them do the paint correction and nano coating every other year.

Yes, I do the wheels with Optimum Gloss Coat every fall prior to winter hibernation. I did the first two yesterday, along with the calipers and a complete detail of the wheel well area. The final two will be done today. Wednesday too busy. Thursday is car wash day. Then about a week's worth of interior work in my heated garage at my leisure. I should have the cover on it by the 12th. Then start again March Madness weekend 2018.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:42 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Please post in PPF community thread.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:13 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Originally Posted by LexVan

They did the 991 in early 2014, again in late 2015, both OptiCoat Pro. Then they did The CQuartz Pro last month. I have them do the paint correction and nano coating every other year.

Yes, I do the wheels with Optimum Gloss Coat every fall prior to winter hibernation. I did the first two yesterday, along with the calipers and a complete detail of the wheel well area. The final two will be done today. Wednesday too busy. Thursday is car wash day. Then about a week's worth of interior work in my heated garage at my leisure. I should have the cover on it by the 12th. Then start again March Madness weekend 2018.
Cleaning the seat seams with a q tip or just taking your time? It actually sounds relaxing. No winters here in CA so the most I do is a full day.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:17 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Can you shoot over your source for nano coating for the Wheels?
Old 10-31-2017, 09:40 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
Cleaning the seat seams with a q tip or just taking your time? It actually sounds relaxing. No winters here in CA so the most I do is a full day.
Taking my time. Two hours here. Two hours there. In total, about 20 man hours.

I recently bought the OGC for the wheels when Phil had a sale at Detailers Domain. It's $60 for a 10ml syringe.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:12 PM
Monetthecat
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan

Ivan is the best. I'll never buy another car again without its first stop being Lustr
Old 11-04-2017, 01:44 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 263 Likes on 173 Posts

OP - can you PM me the cost for the full XPEL wrap?
The car looks great, congratulations!
Old 11-04-2017, 02:07 AM
See U n RearView
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Lightbulb

Looks great! they spent some time on the details...
Old 11-04-2017, 07:58 AM
PorscheFrank
Racer

Originally Posted by Bemo
OP - can you PM me the cost for the full XPEL wrap?
The car looks great, congratulations!
thanks everyone. The wrap itself was around $4500 for pretty much everything except the doors and rear bumper. I shopped around a bit and know that this was on the expensive end but the result was worth it. Also I’m in the nyc area so prices are a bit higher here.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS - xpel + cquartz finest reserve