Sponsored by:

New experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 02:14 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Default New experience

I’m absolutely in the NA camp for these cars... I’m comparing a 991.1s and a 987.2 base....

In my 991s the redline comes fast and in the right gear acceleration is amazing but you get to triple digit speed VERY quickly. I’ll save someone the typing... yeah it’s probably a little quicker in the cars that blow.

I’ve read comments about love for the base 987.... mind you this is just after an IPD plenum +82mm tb install to which the owner testified to a noticeable difference. What a great balance of power, linearity and sound. I thought for sure that being under 300hp this would feel underpowered.... was thinking of getting an S for the wife but now I’m thinking a base with headers, plenum, tb and tune is pretty ideal for street experience and drivability.

Oddly, the car seemed to have just the right amount of power and my 911 seemed almost overpowered by comparison. The smaller flat 6 sung and you get to experience it where by the time you experience the same rpm and shifts you are way to fast for public roads. Really adds validation for the base/stripper/T positions in either gen.

Thoughts?
Old 10-29-2017, 03:05 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

A few points to validate your thoughts:
My first really fun car was 1986 Honda Prelude Si. 110hp, 5 speed, drove thing like rocket. Loved every mile- yes only 110hp.
Second memorable car was a 1999 BMW 528i Touring wagon. With two little kids it was great, we used to go for Bavarian Snooze Cruises to put the kids to sleep. Only 194 hp in a 4,000 lb wagon. Fantastic car to drive, every mile was a treat.
Third- test drove an older base Boxster recently- manual- on the back roads of Greenwich, CT. Just fun. Gets you as fast as you want to go.
Fourth- my base 991.2- involving, and simply amazing. The Mrs and I went on a short ride yesterday to enjoy some amazing weather- on a winding road I was grinning like a kid. This car is way beyond my abilities, and I have no desire (at least now) for a faster car.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:10 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Fourth- my base 991.2- involving, and simply amazing. The Mrs and I went on a short ride yesterday to enjoy some amazing weather- on a winding road I was grinning like a kid. This car is way beyond my abilities, and I have no desire (at least now) for a faster car.
Ditto, but my 2.7L Cayman was a hoot to drive.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:39 PM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I went from a 991.1 4S cab to a 987.2 Boxster S. I agree with you about how fast the 911.1 is. By the time I hit 6-7k rpm in the 991, I was way over the speed limit, in 2nd gear.

I also agree that the Boxster engine and gearing contribute a lot to its overall balance and fun factor. I can get into the power band and I won't get arrested. But its still fast enough that it never feels underpowered. 310 horsepower is plenty for this car. I don't like my cars too loud but headers and exhaust really let the engine sing and give you a little boost in hp.

The Boxster is arguably a better convertible than the 991. I like the smaller size, mid engine balance, steering feel and simplicity of the Boxster over the 991 cabrio. Its also relatively inexpensive compared to a 911. In fact, I've seen a few guys have both a Boxster and a 911. I've definitely caught the Boxster bug and am seriously considering a 718 Spyder when it comes out. As good as the 991.2 T will be, the new Spyder may be better, especially if it its naturally aspirated.

Quick Reply: New experience