Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Track their 911-50

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 03:27 PM
slvr993
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

Wow - The range of advice mirrors the voices in my head. I bought this car because it was a good deal and I thought it could be a dual purpose car. After owning 2-3 cars at a time, one for track a couple for weekends, I am on a mission to find one car that is fun on the street and capable at the track. This fits the bill for sure- Its just that after I got it home, saw the low miles, perfect condition etc, I got cold feet about really using it. But, its just a car. Its a slightly nicer 991.1 GTS.

Thanks guys
Jeff
Old 10-26-2017, 03:54 PM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by slvr993
Wow - The range of advice mirrors the voices in my head. I bought this car because it was a good deal and I thought it could be a dual purpose car. After owning 2-3 cars at a time, one for track a couple for weekends, I am on a mission to find one car that is fun on the street and capable at the track. This fits the bill for sure- Its just that after I got it home, saw the low miles, perfect condition etc, I got cold feet about really using it. But, its just a car. Its a slightly nicer 991.1 GTS.

Thanks guys
Jeff
This is always hard to get around but there is a big difference between a frequent track car and taking your car to the track a few times per year. If the latter, there are many things you can do to mitigate the worries.

For me, I just try to take it easy on the track, avoid the advanced group if possible (mainly due to the higher prevalence of stickier tires and rubber flinging and more aggressive passing zones and drivers), and I try not to tailgate anyone to better keep my front end untainted. I also bring some tire rubber remover and try to remove as much as I can after each session (it gets much harder to remove if you let it sit for too long). Track day insurance is a good recommendation too.

If your track day org. has 2 intermediate groups like the one I usually do, I find that the Int 2 run group often has the fewest number of drivers but for the most part, all good skill levels. Not sure why but could be that the Int 1 drivers are not ready or comfortable moving to Int 2 and the advanced drivers dont want to slum it in Int 2. So Int 2 sessions end up being wide open with the track mostly to myself.

I have 1 car and prefer to drive in and drive home. So my mods are generally no more than brake pads, fluid, and alignment. If you never take your car to the track, you will never get the full experience of owning such a car.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:14 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
Same here. Awesome car and certainly track capable, but too nice for the track.

BTW, Ill be putting mine up for sale soon. PM me if interested.

DaveGee
Graphite grey 911.50
PDK
No sunroof
9700 miles
Warranty to 04/18
I may be interested in your vehicle, please forward the details.

Thanks,

Neil
Old 10-27-2017, 12:23 AM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

I’d take it to a track but wouldn’t “track” it. A nice speedway/abandoned airport strip to wind it out fine. Seeing how many minutes it takes to wear out pads rotors tires and fluids trying to get that extra 0.01 in a car like that? No way.

I would however drive it as many miles as possible. Try to get a million on it like a boss. Screw the flippers and bubble wrappers.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:07 PM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by StudGarden
I€™d take it to a track but wouldn€™t €œtrack€ it. A nice speedway/abandoned airport strip to wind it out fine. Seeing how many minutes it takes to wear out pads rotors tires and fluids trying to get that extra 0.01 in a car like that? No way.

I would however drive it as many miles as possible. Try to get a million on it like a boss. Screw the flippers and bubble wrappers.
Taking a 911 to an airstrip for straight line wind outs would be the most boring use of a 911 imo. And doing an HPDE doesn't need to be about squeezing out an extra .01 seconds each lap. For me, an HPDE is primarily about untimed driving pleasure in a safe, enclosed environment.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:40 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Rambler_13
Taking a 911 to an airstrip for straight line wind outs would be the most boring use of a 911 imo. And doing an HPDE doesn't need to be about squeezing out an extra .01 seconds each lap. For me, an HPDE is primarily about untimed driving pleasure in a safe, enclosed environment.
That’s why I said a speedway or an airstrip. As well as a “track” to drive it fast on but not to try and ride the apex razors edge trying to get that hundredth as if anyone would even care.

I’m NOT saying baby it and don’t ever drive it. But I’m a huge fan of the 50th and IMO it’s the best anniversary model they’ve ever made. It’s limited and truly special and we might not see anything like it again, even if the 60th and beyond aren’t gross turbo electrics 🙄

It’s just not a consumable toy where you can see how close to “loosing it in turn four” trying to pass a Miata or whatever. Only a true baller would do that, but if so then why not a GT2RS or better yet chop it up with chainsaws like Jay Z’s Maybach just because you can. At the very least a garden variety GTS.

I absolutely get the ship in the harbor/horse in the stable analogies and all that. If I had one I’d drive it as much as I could including pushing it within reason for fun. But it’s above and beyond a potentially throw away track toy.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:54 PM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by StudGarden
That’s why I said a speedway or an airstrip. As well as a “track” to drive it fast on but not to try and ride the apex razors edge trying to get that hundredth as if anyone would even care.

I’m NOT saying baby it and don’t ever drive it. But I’m a huge fan of the 50th and IMO it’s the best anniversary model they’ve ever made. It’s limited and truly special and we might not see anything like it again, even if the 60th and beyond aren’t gross turbo electrics 🙄

It’s just not a consumable toy where you can see how close to “loosing it in turn four” trying to pass a Miata or whatever. Only a true baller would do that, but if so then why not a GT2RS or better yet chop it up with chainsaws like Jay Z’s Maybach just because you can. At the very least a garden variety GTS.

I absolutely get the ship in the harbor/horse in the stable analogies and all that. If I had one I’d drive it as much as I could including pushing it within reason for fun. But it’s above and beyond a potentially throw away track toy.
Got it, thanks for clarifying! I've had a couple of previous cars where my biggest regret was not ever taking them to the track. The car I tracked the most was my '13 M3 and when I sold it, it still looked and drove like brand new. My current '11 Turbo may not be great on the track in stock form (haven't brought it yet) but I want to try it at least once.
Old 10-28-2017, 02:59 AM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 148 Posts

I plan on taking her out once or twice at Sonoma. No harness bar so won't work with my HANS so I'll be taking a spirited track drive... not hard core like in my Miata. But I feel like all cars need to breathe on the track once or twice in their lives, so I try to get all my cars on track at some point.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:20 PM
Mish1785
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Autocross it, track it and take it for long drives on backcountry roads. As much as the pepita houndstooth seats, the green instrument cluster, the fuchs and the chrome deck lid are an homage to 50 years of the 911, so is an odometer filled with experiences of spirited driving.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:26 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 928 Likes on 550 Posts

Why on earth would you preserve a 911 for the next owner ???!!!!
Old 01-31-2018, 08:28 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by Mish1785
As much as the pepita houndstooth seats, the green instrument cluster, the fuchs and the chrome deck lid are an homage to 50 years of the 911, so is an odometer filled with experiences of spirited driving.
Truer words never spoken.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:05 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Autocross it, track it and take it for long drives on backcountry roads. As much as the pepita houndstooth seats, the green instrument cluster, the fuchs and the chrome deck lid are an homage to 50 years of the 911, so is an odometer filled with experiences of spirited driving.
Yep - very well said

Also - at the end of the day, it's a Porsche 911. Whether a Carrera, GT3, Turbo, special edition, it's meant to be THE car for your daily drives, to the track, in the rain, in the sun, anywhere and everywhere IMO...to me that is the spirit of a 911, which makes it the best sports car in the world!!
Old 02-01-2018, 08:44 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

That course looks familiar....
Old 02-01-2018, 09:49 AM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

There's one down here that I see driving at Roebling Road all the time, and I think I have seen it at Sebring as well. Beautiful car. It is kind of off-white and the owner has a really nice decal with the number 50 as his car number.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:29 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny5Alive
I think you should track it. Sure, it's a special car but if you really think it could be collector status one day, take a look at the 1973 Carrera RS and how many of those have seen track time and still go for as much as 100k.
I agree, but your estimate is missing a zero

https://www.highsnobiety.com/2017/08...7-lightweight/

Quick Reply: Anyone Track their 911-50