Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

getting bored with the car

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 05:29 PM
Capt_and
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe get another car for a DD? I bought a GTI with a 6MT as a DD so I wouldn't get bored with the 911. If you are driving yours everyday, that might be why you're bored, you're just used to it. I love steak and told my wife that I wish I could eat it everyday. We recently did that for the better part of a week and at the end I just wanted a burger. If you are like me, repetition and familiarity leads to boredom. Maybe do a cobb tune so it drives like a different car and feels less familiar, then use another car as your DD and whenever you return back to your 911, it'll feel more special.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:34 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin-Guy
After about a year of ownership on the 911 I started missing the sound, look and feeling I had in the Ferrari, sadly it just never happened in the Porsche..
You need both! The 911 is a perfect daily to complement a nice gated Ferrari.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:45 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

You will get bored with any commodity. Use a Ferrari daily in traffic and see how entertained you are after a few weeks. End of road they are all just cars.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:01 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I may bore the folks who heard this before but I have owned a 1987, 1989, 1995 911 all purchased new with manual transmission. I then had several back surgeries when I owned the 1995 993 for 18 years and thought I better buy a PDK because my heel/clutch talent was diminishing. In 2013 I bought a new Base C2 991 with PDK. I drove it for 15 months but could not experience the same feelings I had when I drove the others. After asking my wife, I put it in Cars.com and sold it in 3 days for exactly what I was asking.That was 2015 so I ordered a C2 GTS with MT and other stuff that took 3 agonizing months to arrive. The bottom line is that I love my 2015 991 GTS. It responds to all of my wishes. I do not drive it in inclement weather but, when I drive it in fine weather, I never fail to get a compliment from a 10-16 yo boy who knows more about it than me or women who have various other intentions. I lecture to the former of the value of the massive post-high school education I have and the latter receive a very kind thank you (though I wish more). The GTS is enduring misshifts and multiple other transgressions but I can still take it around "The Tail of the Dragon" with aplomb. So, the truth is, get what you think will keep your fire alive. As they say, life is too short. I tell my wife that my GTS is my last. She kindly says, "I hope not".
Old 10-23-2017, 08:55 PM
pprj
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt_and
If you are like me, repetition and familiarity leads to boredom.
I guess this explains why I've been thinking about trading in my wife and getting a new one.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:01 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by pprj
I guess this explains why I've been thinking about trading in my wife and getting a new one.
Make change - I used to threaten 2 21 year olds for my wife when she turns 42. She's there now and still covered under CPO with all maintenance up to date but reality is she is the one deciding to keep me....
Old 10-23-2017, 09:05 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
^I'm doing the "master the Manual " in 911s in 2 weeks. Been driving MT for 44 years and still love it but I'm sure I'll learn a lot. I'd be bored to tears in PDK. Try tracking it...thats where PDK shines IMO. I couldnt imagine being bored in my 991.2. Maybe you need a Lambo or something. New Z06?
Which one are you going to; LA or Atlanta? I had tons of fun and learned a lot. I plan to go every year since it's near by. 90 mins of 1-1 coaching is well worth the price and helps you realize that HP makes up for lack of skill.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:06 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
Which one are you going to; LA or Atlanta? I had tons of fun and learned a lot. I plan to go every year since it's near by. 90 mins of 1-1 coaching is well worth the price and helps you realize that HP makes up for lack of skill.
Not to mention -the wear and tear of this kind of driving in someone else's car!
Old 10-23-2017, 09:34 PM
Capt_and
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pprj
It seems like a good idea until you realize how much of a hit you'll take on a trade in.

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Make change - I used to threaten 2 21 year olds for my wife when she turns 42. She's there now and still covered under CPO with all maintenance up to date but reality is she is the one deciding to keep me....
I'm with you on that one. I am surprised how my wife is ok with the cosmetic wear and tear I've been through. No body shop can help this train wreck. I like wide hips but she must like wide waist.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:04 AM
porschedev
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 991.1 MT base, no PSE.
Was getting bored after 3 months, only thing exciting is trying to get a higher MPG than previous day.
I installed AWE switchpath(and pse button retrofit).
Wow, this changed the car so much.
I now always want to drive my car, brings a smile to my face everytime I hear the exhaust.
downside is lower MPG.

Bring your car to the track and you’ll realize how fast it is and how you’re barely using the potential of the car on the street.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:44 AM
docjohnM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

go to an SCCA Solo event...

Get SPANKED!

Get some skills and training (Evolution Autocross School), and master the car. In a few years, you'll be glad you did, and you'll have a new hobby. The car becomes secondary.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:18 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
Interesting. I'm going to Atlanta. Really looking forward to it. Flying in at 11am, driving and flying home at 7pm.
So I'm going to want to trade my C2 for an S??
Old 10-24-2017, 11:49 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Free up the exhaust and let the N/A flat 6 sing. Usually does the trick.

Sounds like you went from 2 cars to 1? That’ll do it. Get a second car with some variety to the 911. Even an old muscle car. Having a complimentary vehicle is the best way to keep you appreciating your other vehicle thus keeps you in it longer.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:51 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by K-A
Free up the exhaust and let the N/A flat 6 sing. Usually does the trick.

Sounds like you went from 2 cars to 1? That’ll do it. Get a second car with some variety to the 911. Even an old muscle car. Having a complimentary vehicle is the best way to keep you appreciating your other vehicle thus keeps you in it longer.
yessir. You can get F10 5 series for cheap now and they are great on gas. Makes my 991 feel small and way faster than it otherwise would.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:16 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Not to mention -the wear and tear of this kind of driving in someone else's car!
Do you know what they do to those cars?

Originally Posted by 911boy
Interesting. I'm going to Atlanta. Really looking forward to it. Flying in at 11am, driving and flying home at 7pm.
So I'm going to want to trade my C2 for an S??
Awesome, have fun because it's an amazing experience. I live 1.5 hrs away from PEC LA yet spent majority of the day there absorbing everything, having lunch with the coaches, touring the garage, gift shop etc.

Which class are you taking? I wanted to focus on master the manual so I wanted the lowest HP car available. So it'll depend on what you gained from the class.

Quick Reply: getting bored with the car