Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 Carrera T

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 08:48 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,282 Likes on 593 Posts
Default Daily Driver T V.s. Garage Queen GT?

Originally Posted by Dot23RS
thats just funny. Guessing you aren’t one of those owners. I have multiple 911’s and they are such complete different cars you wouldn’t trade one for the other. Maybe to Ferrari or M. Maybe.
Yes, you are correct - I am not one of those owners. In truth, there was no way I could get one. A quick scan of any online car site will show 25 GT3's to 1 or 2 T's. The latest GT3 "pump & dump" investment craze irritated Porsche execs to the point where they're re-thinking their allocation process. I question, did new buyers really understand what a GT car was and what it's like to live with one before they jumped in?

I've had multiple Porsches at the same time and am mid thinning the herd and look forward to the simplicity of owning one Porsche - in this case, a T as a DD. I may keep the Gen-1 Spyder as IT is a very very different car and there's nothing else like driving in on those summer nights with the top off. Magical. I suspect the T will bring its own magic to the road in due time.

Originally Posted by Das14444
did you read the 5 posts above from people stating they made this trade?

Exactly. It's agreed that a T is VERY different, for example, from a GT3 RS. No question. My comment, and backed by others, is that the T, in all of its ethos, is good enough for some GT owners to pick it up as a DD or in some cases sell the GT and move over 100% into a T. One thought I have is that one has less of a tendency to thrash around in a $250K car vs. a $100K T. Could it be that we're less concerned and less nerded-out when driving the T and just simply enjoy it without the constant math calculations of depreciation that occurs with every passing mile of a rare GT car? No question there are different driving styles for different Porsches. I suspect some of the GT - T conversions are with people that love driving a Porsche sports car daily. Food for thought, no?
Old 04-11-2019, 12:19 PM
seis-speed
Pro

Received 494 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by FORENN
You're going to sacrifice some sound when you go turbo. And you're going to gain torque. It's a trade-off. Even the GT2 RS, which I love and consider to be one of the best sounding turbo-charged cars I've ever heard, does not sound like the GT3 RS. But if the exhaust sound on the Carrera T is the car's only weakness (per Cormid), that says something pretty spectacular about the car. I've been buying and enjoying Porsches for over 20 years now and, pound for pound (or fun per dollar), the Carrera T is right up there with the best I've driven.
I think this sums it up....

The T is enough. That was my conclusion after driving multiple 911’s.
With a manual transmission and other touches to enhance the driving experience it was a good balance for an enthusiast driving experience.
Is it better than other cars, not necessarily, but it is enough to thrill, IMO.
That is the draw, at least for me. YMMV!

Old 04-11-2019, 12:34 PM
Das14444
Pro

Received 333 Likes on 160 Posts

In response the exhaust comment above:
The carrera T with cat bypass pipes and PSE sounds amazing. Of course you will still hear that turbo spool but the sound of the engine with the cat deletes is just as loud and raw as my 997.2 GTS (the gts also has bypass pipes.)

Compared to a stock 997 - the carrera T is louder IMO.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:31 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 667 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
Haha! I was one of them...
I'm one of them, as well. For the track, the GT3 is the easy choice. But for the road...the T is just as easy a choice for me. It's odd to me that some GT3 owners get upset when they read these reports. Perhaps this is why this thread was moved from the GT3 forum to here. No one is saying the T is in the same class as the GT3 or that the GT3 is not a heck of a car. But the two cars were clearly designed with different kinds of driving in mind. And they are priced in completely separate classes. So it really shouldn't be surprising (or upsetting) to anyone that many of us would prefer the Carrera T.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:42 PM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Exactly. It's agreed that a T is VERY different, for example, from a GT3 RS. No question. My comment, and backed by others, is that the T, in all of its ethos, is good enough for some GT owners to pick it up as a DD or in some cases sell the GT and move over 100% into a T. One thought I have is that one has less of a tendency to thrash around in a $250K car vs. a $100K T. Could it be that we're less concerned and less nerded-out when driving the T and just simply enjoy it without the constant math calculations of depreciation that occurs with every passing mile of a rare GT car? No question there are different driving styles for different Porsches. I suspect some of the GT - T conversions are with people that love driving a Porsche sports car daily. Food for thought, no?
Almost totally agree with this but with a difference, at least in my case: for me it's not the price difference that would lead me to thrash around one more than the other, its the power/speed. I just find the GT3 to not really be a lot of fun until you're running it over 5K rpms, and at that point you're going way way way too fast for public roads. So the choice is between a car you can drive at 7 or maybe 8/10ths vs a car you're lucky to do 4/10ths in. Even on the track I don't feel comfortable running it on the ragged edge with no cage and just OEM 3-point seat belts.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:48 PM
Das14444
Pro

Originally Posted by _fletch
Almost totally agree with this but with a difference, at least in my case: for me it's not the price difference that would lead me to thrash around one more than the other, its the power/speed. I just find the GT3 to not really be a lot of fun until you're running it over 5K rpms, and at that point you're going way way way too fast for public roads. So the choice is between a car you can drive at 7 or maybe 8/10ths vs a car you're lucky to do 4/10ths in. Even on the track I don't feel comfortable running it on the ragged edge with no cage and just OEM 3-point seat belts.
thats the beauty of driving a “slow” car fast vs a fast car slow. and why so many are spending top dollar for older models - or even e46 m3s “driving a slower car fast is exciting” if you cant even push the GT3 on a public road - well you can, you’re just entering jail time ticket zone quickly
Old 04-11-2019, 11:07 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 356 Likes on 214 Posts

I just find the GT3 to not really be a lot of fun until you're running it over 5K rpms, and at that point you're going way way way too fast for public roads. So the choice is between a car you can drive at 7 or maybe 8/10ths vs a car you're lucky to do 4/10ths in.
Agree with you. And the GT3 suspension just makes road driving unenjoyable to me a lot of the time.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:58 AM
_fletch
Racer

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is it still possible to spec a new build for a T? Finding it hard to find a good spec'd one on the lots.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:43 AM
Das14444
Pro

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is it still possible to spec a new build for a T? Finding it hard to find a good spec'd one on the lots.
no
Old 04-13-2019, 11:06 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 667 Likes on 328 Posts

This is not a stupid question at all. The answer, as Das stated, is unfortunately no. Your question touches upon a much-discussed problem with lot inventory, though, and that is that many/most dealers didn't take the time to understand the ethos or underlying intention of the Carrera T. As a result, an unfortunate percentage of what was already a rather limited-production model was poorly specced. So you have the enthusiast specs that sold quickly (many of which were enthusiast-ordered, of course) and the dealers specs, many of which remain unsold. I would recommend starting a WTB thread in the Marketplace/Classifieds section of RL and specifying your preferred options. This has worked for a couple of Carrera T hunters already.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:12 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 726 Likes on 335 Posts

On dealer lots there are some T's spec'd w/ a manual and generally accepted option with the T ethos in mind. They may have a few options that you may come to like over time i.e. PCCB's that you thought you didn't need but realize how good they are. Or a sunroof etc.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:23 AM
Das14444
Pro

hey fletch - if you are looking for the right spec- here is one option...this one has everything you’d want except rear wheel steering - I wanted the RAS but some feel the ethos of the T is spot on without it.

ceramics
buckets
Cobb tune making 500 HP!

I tried to purchase unfortunately couldnt get them to $96k (that was all I was willing to pay on a pre-owned) they held firm around $108, still a killer spec!

https://www.isringhausen.com/invento...ockNum/106285A

others are correct - many T’s sitting due to sunroof, pdk, and options that add weight back to the car
Old 04-13-2019, 12:21 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Production numbers for T. Did anyone ever fully total the production numbers of the '18/19 T.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:41 PM
Das14444
Pro

Originally Posted by white6speed
Production numbers for T. Did anyone ever fully total the production numbers of the '18/19 T.
was around 910 in US.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:12 PM
_fletch
Racer

Originally Posted by Das14444
hey fletch - if you are looking for the right spec- here is one option...this one has everything you’d want except rear wheel steering - I wanted the RAS but some feel the ethos of the T is spot on without it.

ceramics
buckets
Cobb tune making 500 HP!

I tried to purchase unfortunately couldnt get them to $96k (that was all I was willing to pay on a pre-owned) they held firm around $108, still a killer spec!

https://www.isringhausen.com/invento...ockNum/106285A

others are correct - many T’s sitting due to sunroof, pdk, and options that add weight back to the car
Thanks for this. I'm actually looking for one with sofas. I want this to be the car that can do absolutely everything - like my old 964. Interesting what you say about the RAS. I was expecting the opposite to be true. I haven't tried a T with RAS but my GT3T has it and it definitely makes it feel smaller and pointier. But I get the whole simplicity thing. Would be great to try one with and without back-to-back in the canyons.

Quick Reply: 911 Carrera T