Notices
991
Sponsored by:

911 Carrera T

 
Old 10-22-2017, 09:39 PM
  #16  
RINGMEISTER27
User
 
RINGMEISTER27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New York City
Posts: 490
Default

Haters. I like it.
RINGMEISTER27 is offline  
Old 10-22-2017, 10:07 PM
  #17  
Lapis
User
 
Lapis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 906
Default

Ok. After reading I gotta say, sounds like the best version of the regular (non-GT) 911 range....

LWB bucket seats (unavailable on anything other than a GT car otherwise), manual trans w/shorter throws, SPASM suspension lower 20mm, mechanical rear diff, and some nice cosmetic bits especially on interior that would otherwise only be doable at high cost with Exclusive. cool.

Put another way, this is what the base 911 should have always been. Despite less power, with a manual, buckets, SPASM and rear diff, this will probably be the most entertaining 911 short of a GT3 to wind out and run through some of your favorite twisty roads. Too bad they couldn’t just toss in the old NA engine from the 991.1 GTS!

Still, though, the naming confuses it with the GT3 Touring.

gotta also point this out:

For the same or less money, Iíd take a GT4 or 981 Spyder every day of the week. Better handling, just as good looking inside and out if not better looking, and most importantly, that wonderful wonderful wail of a natural aspirated high revving flat 6.

Used GT4s and 981 Spyders with low miles that are CPO (even with the bucket seats and other good options) are selling for right around the $100K mark, the same as the base price for this new 911T.

When the 718 GT4 and Spyder come out in next year with probably a detuned 4.0 NA flat 6, theyíll be priced similar to a well optioned 911T and again, will be far more engaging to drive and will hold their values far better long term.
Lapis is offline  
Old 10-22-2017, 10:11 PM
  #18  
Lapis
User
 
Lapis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 906
Default

The side decals look really dumb.
Lapis is offline  
Old 10-22-2017, 10:14 PM
  #19  
StudGarden
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,021
Default

Meh
StudGarden is offline  
Old 10-22-2017, 10:16 PM
  #20  
Lapis
User
 
Lapis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 906
Default

I guess when you get down to it, this car is the answer the to the question, ďif you had to buy a modern 911 as a purist driverís car, and you couldnít afford a GT3 much less a GTS, and you also have something against the GT4 and 981 Spyder, and if you also canít possibly consider buying a used 991.1 anything (or none of those are available to buy anywhere anymore)...Ē

Well, if all that were true, then yeah, the new 911T would be the car for you.
Lapis is offline  
Old 10-22-2017, 10:18 PM
  #21  
Lapis
User
 
Lapis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 906
Default

People, you do realize one can even buy a 991.1 GT3 Used CPO (like a 2014) for similar money as this new 911T with some options?
Lapis is offline  
Old 10-22-2017, 10:48 PM
  #22  
neurotic
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
neurotic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,589
Default

Originally Posted by Lapis View Post
People, you do realize one can even buy a 991.1 GT3 Used CPO (like a 2014) for similar money as this new 911T with some options?
guess people want the stick? al la R?
neurotic is online now  
Old 10-22-2017, 10:50 PM
  #23  
Archimedes
Super User
 
Archimedes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 8,467
Default

Originally Posted by Lapis View Post
People, you do realize one can even buy a 991.1 GT3 Used CPO (like a 2014) for similar money as this new 911T with some options?
Not really. You're around $130k min for a CPO '14 GT3. And no manual option.
Archimedes is offline  
Old 10-22-2017, 10:50 PM
  #24  
Archimedes
Super User
 
Archimedes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 8,467
Default

Originally Posted by Lapis View Post
Ok. After reading I gotta say, sounds like the best version of the regular (non-GT) 911 range....

LWB bucket seats (unavailable on anything other than a GT car otherwise), manual trans w/shorter throws, SPASM suspension lower 20mm, mechanical rear diff, and some nice cosmetic bits especially on interior that would otherwise only be doable at high cost with Exclusive. cool.
.
Where do you see LWBs as an option. Those are 18 ways in the picture.
Archimedes is offline  
Old 10-22-2017, 10:59 PM
  #25  
Lapis
User
 
Lapis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 906
Default

Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
Where do you see LWBs as an option. Those are 18 ways in the picture.
press release confirms bucket seats are optional on the 911T.
Lapis is offline  
Old 10-22-2017, 11:01 PM
  #26  
Lapis
User
 
Lapis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 906
Default

Originally Posted by neurotichamster8 View Post
guess people want the stick? al la R?
911T is manual or PDK. Sure, for folks who want manual, a used GT3 might no be of interest. But that makes it even more clear how niche a market the 911T is made for (who would want the PDK version of it?!)

even ideally configured (buckets, manual), itíd Still be less interesting than a GT4.
Lapis is offline  
Old 10-22-2017, 11:14 PM
  #27  
Drifting
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Drifting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: LA
Posts: 3,120
Default

Originally Posted by Lapis View Post
I guess when you get down to it, this car is the answer the to the question, ďif you had to buy a modern 911 as a purist driverís car, and you couldnít afford a GT3 much less a GTS, and you also have something against the GT4 and 981 Spyder, and if you also canít possibly consider buying a used 991.1 anything (or none of those are available to buy anywhere anymore)...Ē

Well, if all that were true, then yeah, the new 911T would be the car for you.
Also a Porsche for people want a drivers car, but donít have the time or dealer connections to land an allocation for GT3/GT4.

Playing that game does get tiresome.
Drifting is offline  
Old 10-22-2017, 11:20 PM
  #28  
neurotic
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
neurotic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,589
Default

Originally Posted by Lapis View Post
911T is manual or PDK. Sure, for folks who want manual, a used GT3 might no be of interest. But that makes it even more clear how niche a market the 911T is made for (who would want the PDK version of it?!)

even ideally configured (buckets, manual), itíd Still be less interesting than a GT4.
ya, a GT4 over this marketing gimmick is way, way better buy.
neurotic is online now  
Old 10-22-2017, 11:22 PM
  #29  
evilfij
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
evilfij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: On the internet
Posts: 4,087
Default

Right, but a 911 is a 911 and a cayman or boxster is not. New GT4 and spyders will have the same ADM game driving up the costs.

The NA ship has sailed, but otherwise this is pretty much the 911 everyone has been asking for. Value package with the common performance options including stuff you canít get on an S or even get without a 4. Sport chonro modes without the wart. Add some lightness without megabucks CF and mag. LWBs and rear seat delete and radio delete and ditches the hideous silver interior trim for black. I mean even a shorter final drive.

Given that the engine is the same internally base to GTS eventually someone will figure out how to add a power kit ($6k) to the base (hack the ECU) and you have a very fast car for $50k less than a GT3 which will weigh less and be faster than an S or a GTS. Hell, there is absolutely nothing stopping porsche from offering a power kit directly once production of the 991.2 ends so it does not poach S and GTS sales. The parts are the same (new turbos) itís just the ECU tune that Porsche wonít do on a base.

The real interesting question is what demand and supply will look like for this car. I think demand will be really strong. There are a lot of disappointed would be GT3 (especially touring) buyers out there and it is a lot of car for a lot less. It will be interesting to see if the standard 911 discounts can be had on this model as it is much more attractive proposition for the enthusiast crowd.
evilfij is online now  
Old 10-22-2017, 11:22 PM
  #30  
Mech33
Super User
 
Mech33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,028
Default

Looks like a street-focused version of the GT3.

The Touring is still a GT3 track-focused machine but with diffferent cosmetics.
Mech33 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 911 Carrera T


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: