Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

>> The Official Porsche 991.1 GTS Club << Natural Aspiration Lover's >>

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 12:24 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,053 Likes on 668 Posts

Wow, in the 5+ months this thread has been in place, couple hundred posts & tons of great pics. Well done guys. I've read them all (including all the links to video's etc!!)

Ok,... so I'm now "here" because I think this may be the right place to solicit some thoughts. If not, & there is another GTS thread better suited, please let me know. I have not "hung out" here, so I have not dug deep into other GTS threads.

I do have a single, simple, question for you all,... but first some background so you have a frame of reference. For the past year, we've been chasing down knowledge (specs, choices, etc) on GT3's, and I think I've may have come to the realization that a GTS might be a better choice. We (my wife spirit drives too) have owned our 964Turbo for a long time. Kids grew up in the back seats (they're gone from the house now),.. and we are MANUAL shift people. That is a MUST have. And even though we still drive the 964T,.. the last 4-5 yrs we have moved it to Concours level quality (we took 3rd place at last years Amelia Island Werks reunion out of 22 cars in the 964 & 993 class).... and we also just recently put XPEL film on the front end, just so we can keep driving it,... BUT,... the Naturally Aspirated bug has bitten us. We also have 2 1st Gen Camaro's, one of which is a big block 396/375 M21, and the other a SBC screamer. SO,... the natural progression is a NA 911 MT. (i know 1st world problems right?!)

Oh, we were in Germany for a couple weeks last summer & had a 2017 C4GTS Coupe that we drove for 2 straight days. Great car & loved the back-pressure gurgle when letting off the gas,... which I think is "manufactured" by Porsche, as it ALWAYS sounds exactly the same every time, and only lasts about 1-2 seconds. I think they adjust the timing or something for that 1-2 seconds to give it that crackle sound. I wish it lasted longer. And although the twin turbo's gave it lots of torque,... it was still not the NA sound & feel we are looking for. We have 2 "turbo" Porsche's now,... so we do not want another one. And in the years coming up soon,... NA will be NLA.
anyway....

So HOW would we use this next car? ... NOT as a daily driver (that is what my 2012 958 Cayenne Turbo is for,.. plus as a tow vehicle, autocrosser, & general hauler of all things fun as I'm a kiteboarder & ice hockey player, so we through everything in & at it).

This next car would be a weekend driver. Seeking out the twisties..... which brings me to my question:

If you had $110k to spend, WHICH would you choose & why? 1) 2011 997.2 GT3 MT - or - 2) 2015 GTS MT ??? (both are in about that same price range)

Oh, while I have your attention... another question (I guess I fib'd about having only 1)..... what is the the extra wing mounted on the duck tail that I see on some of your GTS's? Is that a specific option? Looks cool.

=Steve
Old 03-10-2018, 12:43 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

^^^Steve - great post and intro. Why don't you arrange a back to back test drive of both and decide for yourself?
For the wing, google "2015 porsche 911 gts aero kit" and have your pick, I don't know what your options would be for the 997, maybe that forum can help.

Either way, exciting NA choices lie ahead. Best of luck with your selection and keep us posted.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:11 AM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 68 Posts

I think they are both great, great cars. I'd drive and see which you prefer. I can see the 997 GT3 holding it's value, perhaps a little better, both will be good. But for me and it sounds like you it's about a companion for the next 10 years your more interested in
Old 03-10-2018, 05:10 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve

me to my question:

If you had $110k to spend, WHICH would you choose & why? 1) 2011 997.2 GT3 MT - or - 2) 2015 GTS MT ??? (both are in about that same price range)

Oh, while I have your attention... another question (I guess I fib'd about having only 1)..... what is the the extra wing mounted on the duck tail that I see on some of your GTS's? Is that a specific option? Looks cool.

=Steve
Greetings,

Thats a great looking 964 ! Would love to see some more photos.

I own a 2015 991.1 GTS, so I may be a little biased. It’s my only car, and I daily drive it. It’s incredibly versatile and the exhaust sounds considerably different to the 991.2. I think you’ll. Be very pleased. In Sport Plus, it’s incredible. If you buy one, I think you’ll be surprised by how much you choose to drive the car. The Cayenne may end up as a winter and equipment backup. The Duck Tail can be added to the car after purchase for a reasonable price if you can’t find one with the option. Suncoast etc. sells the parts and your dealer/local shop can install.

I’ll add a gratuitous photo.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:03 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Steve,
I looked at both. These two are obviously very different animals. The GT3 is a track oriented fighter. 991.1 GTS is an excellent "do it all" car. My choice was 2015 991.1 GTS MT. Love it and for me it was the right choice. You need to compare and choose yourself.
Would love to see more pics of your 964T.
The following users liked this post:
Maik 123 (02-13-2021)
Old 03-10-2018, 10:02 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Wow, in the 5+ months this thread has been in place, couple hundred posts & tons of great pics. Well done guys. I've read them all (including all the links to video's etc!!)

Ok,... so I'm now "here" because I think this may be the right place to solicit some thoughts. If not, & there is another GTS thread better suited, please let me know. I have not "hung out" here, so I have not dug deep into other GTS threads.

I do have a single, simple, question for you all,... but first some background so you have a frame of reference. For the past year, we've been chasing down knowledge (specs, choices, etc) on GT3's, and I think I've may have come to the realization that a GTS might be a better choice. We (my wife spirit drives too) have owned our 964Turbo for a long time. Kids grew up in the back seats (they're gone from the house now),.. and we are MANUAL shift people. That is a MUST have. And even though we still drive the 964T,.. the last 4-5 yrs we have moved it to Concours level quality (we took 3rd place at last years Amelia Island Werks reunion out of 22 cars in the 964 & 993 class).... and we also just recently put XPEL film on the front end, just so we can keep driving it,... BUT,... the Naturally Aspirated bug has bitten us. We also have 2 1st Gen Camaro's, one of which is a big block 396/375 M21, and the other a SBC screamer. SO,... the natural progression is a NA 911 MT. (i know 1st world problems right?!)

Oh, we were in Germany for a couple weeks last summer & had a 2017 C4GTS Coupe that we drove for 2 straight days. Great car & loved the back-pressure gurgle when letting off the gas,... which I think is "manufactured" by Porsche, as it ALWAYS sounds exactly the same every time, and only lasts about 1-2 seconds. I think they adjust the timing or something for that 1-2 seconds to give it that crackle sound. I wish it lasted longer. And although the twin turbo's gave it lots of torque,... it was still not the NA sound & feel we are looking for. We have 2 "turbo" Porsche's now,... so we do not want another one. And in the years coming up soon,... NA will be NLA.
anyway....

So HOW would we use this next car? ... NOT as a daily driver (that is what my 2012 958 Cayenne Turbo is for,.. plus as a tow vehicle, autocrosser, & general hauler of all things fun as I'm a kiteboarder & ice hockey player, so we through everything in & at it).

This next car would be a weekend driver. Seeking out the twisties..... which brings me to my question:

=Steve
I ran into this great looking air cooled turbo coming out of my local gym a few months ago. offered to trade the guy straight up for my car.
J
Old 03-11-2018, 03:51 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

...and?
Old 03-11-2018, 07:35 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
...and?
I've still got the red sled!

J
Old 03-11-2018, 09:57 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Great. Stick to it!
Old 03-11-2018, 10:04 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Today during my bath day

I 1st time tried Poorboy's spray and rinse wheel cleaner. It worked great on the wheels and esp. cleaned the barrels well. After rinse I saw some rust on the disks though.

So went for a ride to clean the rust away. Beautiful sunny day here.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:50 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bemo
^^^Steve - great post and intro. Why don't you arrange a back to back test drive of both and decide for yourself?
For the wing, google "2015 porsche 911 gts aero kit" and have your pick, I don't know what your options would be for the 997, maybe that forum can help.
Either way, exciting NA choices lie ahead. Best of luck with your selection and keep us posted.
Thanks for the input Bemo. With you hint, I found lots more pics out there of the ducktail & DT w/ wing. Sounds like the aero kit option gives you that wing on top of the ductail.
Would love to see the option codes from yours (or any) window stickers to help me with option codes & what to look for.

Originally Posted by Carrera2RS
I think they are both great, great cars. I'd drive and see which you prefer. I can see the 997 GT3 holding it's value, perhaps a little better, both will be good. But for me and it sounds like you it's about a companion for the next 10 years your more interested in
Thanks Carrera2RS. To be honest,... "holding it's value" is not too big of a concern for me. It's ironic that GT3's holding value (or in many cases increasing over MSRP thru the years), is kinda the reason I'm here in the first place. The dang things are so expensive, and hard to find in the spec that my wife & I can agree on. And since we want a "drivers" car that we can enjoy, and not worry so much about putting miles on it,.. the GT3 is getting further & further from my sight. Sure I'd love one,.. but so many are tracked too (as they should be), and a PPI becomes a very important part of the process. And to pick up a nice example usually means buying one with very low miles,... and the price goes up accordingly. Anyway,... not too worried about re-sale in the future.

Originally Posted by Benedict14
Greetings, Thats a great looking 964 ! Would love to see some more photos.
I own a 2015 991.1 GTS, so I may be a little biased. It’s my only car, and I daily drive it. It’s incredibly versatile and the exhaust sounds considerably different to the 991.2. I think you’ll. Be very pleased. In Sport Plus, it’s incredible. If you buy one, I think you’ll be surprised by how much you choose to drive the car. The Cayenne may end up as a winter and equipment backup. The Duck Tail can be added to the car after purchase for a reasonable price if you can’t find one with the option. Suncoast etc. sells the parts and your dealer/local shop can install.
I’ll add a gratuitous photo.
Daaaaaymn that is a beautiful GTS. The wide body really speaks to me (as you can tell from our love of the ol skool 964T too). Pics? sure,.. I've posted hundreds. I'll throw one at the bottom here for giggles....
Oh,... and regarding the exhaust note,.. yea it is sweet on the GTS. My local dealer has a nice C2GTS MT for sale, so I sat in it, crawled around it, and yes started & blipped the throttle both with PSE on & off to compare. even just sitting parked with the door open it sure sounded sweet. I can only imagine what it sounds like blasting past at 7k (since it was not the color my wife & I agreed on,.. I'm not a prospect,... so I did not ask to drive it). Speaking of rpm,... the red line on the 997.2 GT3 is about 8,600 I think,... and the 3.8 NA GTS is 7,600? ... So maybe not as much scream involved,... but I'm sure the GTS would still fit the bill.

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
Steve,
I looked at both. These two are obviously very different animals. The GT3 is a track oriented fighter. 991.1 GTS is an excellent "do it all" car. My choice was 2015 991.1 GTS MT. Love it and for me it was the right choice. You need to compare and choose yourself.
Would love to see more pics of your 964T.
nice ride too Papa. so yea the GT3 is obviously more track oriented,... and I am sure I would still love it on the street (the GT3RS would be the over-kill for street use),... but it is more my wife that I think would appreciate a slightly tamer GT 911 in the GTS. Which brings me to comfort. We would both go with sofa's no matter what. LWBS are just too extreme for the two of us (she's petite & fits in them fine, but hated getting in&out of the car with them),... plus we both enjoy getting up early in the mornings, doing spirited drives & using the heated seats we already have in both our Porsche's,... so 4-ways or 18-way seats w/ heat would be our choice,... and I think there will be more cars for sale out there with sofa's that are GTS, verses GT3.

.... nice color choice 96redLT4.

Hope my ramblings are still welcome in this thread (OP See U n RearView),... pics upon pics are great,... but sometimes just helping a guy out that is considering one, fuels your own stoke. The more & more I think about a GTS, the more it seems this is the right place to be.

Ok,.... I'll sneak a pic in here, hoping not to get thrown off the thread for posting a non-GTS in here
I really liked this pic from last years Amelia Island Concours, when we took 3rd place out of qty 22 993's & 964's at the Werks Reunion,... but more so because the pic has the 2 other cars in it. The Triple Black is the original Bad Boys Movie Car that my buddy owns, and the other is another buddy's car that is a 1 of 1 in U.S. '94 in my favorite color Cobalt Blue... great memories from that trip too....

Thanks again for chiming in on the details of your cars!!!
=Steve

Last edited by bweSteve; 03-12-2018 at 11:24 AM. Reason: reduced size of pic
Old 03-12-2018, 01:59 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Oh yea,... I have a follow-on question.... Is the GTS ride height slightly higher than the GT3? If we went with a GT3, the front axle lift would be yet another must have (due to our driveway),... and so it would be awesome if the GTS was just slightly higher & thus we would not need the axle lift option.

TIA,
=Steve
Old 03-12-2018, 03:17 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Nice pic and congrats on the Concours score!
GTS can be had in -10mm or -20mm vs standard carrera height. I have a -10mm and prefer it due to no need for the FAL.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:58 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 560 Likes on 348 Posts

GT3 is -30mm over std Carrera I believe.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:15 AM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
GT3 is -30mm over std Carrera I believe.
I understand so, the 991.1 GT3 brochure quoted 30mm. I have seen 25mm quoted in the 991.2 brochure, but ofcourse the GT3 suspension is height adjustable. My 991.1 GTS looks as low as a GT3 with Techart springs, they measured up about another 10mm lower than Sport PASM at the front and about 6mm lower than Sport PASM at the back, so in theory I am 30mm lower at the front and 26mm at the back than std carrera

Quick Reply: >> The Official Porsche 991.1 GTS Club << Natural Aspiration Lover's >>