Sponsored by:

Our new GTS

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 03:31 PM
macanakey
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Our new GTS

I've been meaning to share pics of our 2017 GTS since we got it this summer. We'd been looking at a very highly (almost overly) optioned CPO'd 2017 C4S at Hennessey in Atlanta, but we really felt like we were being jerked around by them. They wanted us to ship up our Boxster to them even before we had signed any paperwork, which we declined to do. We finally decided to walk away & continue to look for another lightly used vehicle that matched our specs.

One of the options I really wanted is front axle lift. Our office complex has a sharp dip in it & our 997 scrapes almost every time we leave. I realize that the FAL price tag pays for a lot of spoilers, but giving up that sense of dread I have every time I pull up to a sharp incline was worth paying for FAL.

The Hubster, then decided that he'd really rather have a GTS so we considered ordering a new one, but none of the dealers we spoke to were offering much discount on new GTS orders. We figured we'd just hold off & continue to check available inventory on occasion. The Hubster stumbled upon what became our GTS at Southpoint Porsche in Durham. It was configured almost exactly as we were configuring ours. Their pricing was reasonable & their trade in on our Boxster was far greater than other dealers had offered. Kim Smith was our SA & was excellent to deal with. We hadn't planned on buying a new 911, but it all came together very nicely.

So, here's our NBM 2017 GTS. It has the GTS Alcantara package, PDK, LCA, rear axle steering, FAL, Bose, a sunroof & premium package plus. It's missing voice control, which we wanted, but Suncoast has the VC module & it's pretty inexpensive to add, so we'll probably do so soon.

The GTS is the Hubster's daily driver, with me stealing it when I can. It's really a joy to drive & I find that I can't get behind the wheel without getting a stupid grin on my face!

Just for fun, I've attached a pic of our 997 at the end. That's a blast too, but the two cars feel & handle very differently. The 997 is a MT & a ton of fun, but it doesn't feel as tight as the 991 does.
Attached Images      
Old 10-13-2017, 03:54 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Beautiful! Saw a NBM GTS in the flesh a few weeks ago. NBM is such a great color.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:40 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Color looks great. Enjoy it!!
Old 10-13-2017, 05:44 PM
9ELOVIN
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Congratulations on the new GTS. I too came from a 997 Cab (4S) and agree the 991 is far "tighter" or more solid. Both are great looking cars. Sounds like your "Hubster" is lucky in many ways.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:01 AM
wes66vette
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Great looking car, congratulations and enjoy...

I would be interested in the voice control install and operation if and when you decide to do it...please keep us posted.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:10 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Nice car. I only think I figured out what hubster means.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:49 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Congrats!!!!!!
Old 10-14-2017, 10:41 AM
m5biemer
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Redacted post to repost from the correct account!
Old 10-14-2017, 10:47 AM
macanakey
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the kind comments, all. The NBM is really pretty. It's a bit quieter than some of the other colors, but still not as common as black/white & gray. We didn't want a loud color for a daily driver. The 911's shape is unmistakable, but we didn't want to draw any more attention to it than necessary at our office. It's funny, clients will often ask where our Porsche is. They're asking about the 997, which so noticeable in the yellow. They never notice the Macan or the 991.2 parked out there!

Hubster = Mr. Macanakey. He's on the Forum too, as m5biemer. He's been on here longer than I have & I think he's more active. I've got him, so I'm the lucky one!

Our GTS has the voice control button on the stalk, but not the software for it. Voice control wasn't on the build sheet, but when I asked our SA about it, he indicated that it was marked on the stalk & he assumed that the car had it. I spoke to Suncoast & they indicated that their module was exactly what was missing. It's here - https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU992VOICE.html

My Macan (a 2016 Turbo purchased 1/2016) was also purchased from inventory & is missing the VC option. It's also now available now & the since he doesn't really care about adding it to the 911, the Hubster is suggesting that maybe it we add it to the Macan first. I'm not a in-car-phone-yakker, but I do like the idea of not having to fumble with my phone or the PCM/MFD to call the home or office, etc. We'll see. The Macan's module is twice as much as the 991.2's, which is weird.

In any case, I've gone from dreaming about having a Porsche since I was a kid to having 3 of them in the garage now. We've worked our asses off for this & are fortunate, but I have to pinch myself every so often to be sure I'm not dreaming.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:04 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Well done on all parts. Shiny side up !
Old 10-14-2017, 11:06 AM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

It looks as if you added the front grills also or does PCNA now provide them standard on the GTS?
Old 10-14-2017, 01:07 PM
macanakey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by freeman
It looks as if you added the front grills also or does PCNA now provide them standard on the GTS?
We added them. The dealer had already put PPF on the car, but we added the ZunSport grills and a frunk lid liner. Dealer also included frunk cargo liner and all season floor mats.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:58 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

Hmm... My “Wifester” has a 2017 Macan and, when signaling, occasionally bumps the voice control button on the end of the turn signal stalk triggering the voice prompts. Is the voice control module removable? Is it software or some little doo-dad that can be unplugged? She never uses it and actually finds it to be annoying.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:51 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

NBM is an underrated and great color. Love the car, you two enjoy!
Old 10-15-2017, 07:16 PM
macanakey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by digits
Hmm... My “Wifester” has a 2017 Macan and, when signaling, occasionally bumps the voice control button on the end of the turn signal stalk triggering the voice prompts. Is the voice control module removable? Is it software or some little doo-dad that can be unplugged? She never uses it and actually finds it to be annoying.
"Wifester", LOL. Your better half, you mean I expect that your dealer may be able to deactivate the voice control. There's definitely software there for it, so it may be as easy as deactivating it. I don't use the phone much either. It's just that I hate not having it handy for the rare instances that I want to call. I'm just trying to decide if it's worth paying for the unit & dealer's time to install it on the Macan. I've used Siri to dial out, but I don't tend to keep the phone out, so I'm left fumbling for it in my purse. I know - first world problems.

Quick Reply: Our new GTS