Sponsored by:

Ferodo Pads now available for 991S

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 04:49 PM
whoddoo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
^^^ Squeal is always part of good track pads. Quiet pads are not the compromise you want for the track. With the caliper studs changing pads is not a big deal. I do it for every event.

Probably true except that the DS2500 were advertised as not squealing which is why I purchased instead of the D1.11. So I will be changing out for each event instead of having a sweet combo pad. Will go with the D1.11 when these wear out. I already swap wheels and tires so adding pads will not increase the time involved significantly with the stud kits.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:07 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by whoddoo
Probably true except that the DS2500 were advertised as not squealing which is why I purchased instead of the D1.11. So I will be changing out for each event instead of having a sweet combo pad. Will go with the D1.11 when these wear out. I already swap wheels and tires so adding pads will not increase the time involved significantly with the stud kits.
Oh, I didn’t realize they were advertised that way. I understand your disappointment. But the stud kit is life changing...so at least you can enjoy that!
Old 11-04-2017, 03:00 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 61 Posts

Just for completeness sake, I'll come back to this thread, since I'd said I was gonna report back.

So I ran the DS1.11 + Girodisc setup at VIR last weekend. It's a new track and new brakes at the same time for me, so it took me a while to acclimate.

First few sessions, being used to the Pagid pedal feel, I was overslowing for literally every corner. Braking power is really substantial with this setup, so you can't be too liberal w the pedal. Thankfully I got over that and I managed to push my braking zones pretty deep towards the end of the weekend.

Some notes:
1) As I previously mentioned, tons of initial bite. It works really well in corners where ideally you just do a little tap to set the car and immediately turn, that tap is now just a brush of the pedal, which I really liked.
2) Fairly linear brake modulation. It was reasonably easy to brake hard and late and gently release into the corner.
3) Threshold braking force is fierce. Gives a lot of confidence in terms of how late you can start braking after long straights.
4) Noise was way down after a hot session or two, as pads got bedded fully. Presumably this'll get worse again w street driving. Floating rotors are silent.
5) Performance did not degrade much w heat, I had a slightly softer pedal as day went on which I suspect was the fluid. No pedal vibration after heavy use (this was a big issue for me as the oem rotors w holes got covered in pad material)

Overall, great setup, and a substantial improvement vs oem rotor + pagid yellows, at least it felt so to me. I managed to run some consistent 2:13s at VIR with this setup, which is kinda slow but was substantially better than my times earlier this summer w the previous setup at the Glen (~2:18) which is very comparable in terms of lap times.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:48 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Received my Ferodo DS2500 pads last week and spent the weekend installing the Tarett Engineering caliper stud and bracket stud kits as well as the new pads,...also flushed my hydraulic system and changed to Motrul 600 RBF. Everything worked out great and the only issue is that the DS2500's do squeal. Disappointed as I was hoping for a combo street/track pad but it appears this is not the one. Like the pads,...hate the squeal!
My DS2500 rear pad squealed a little until this weekend I got to actually properly bed them in and in the last 200street miles there is no sequel anymore.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:09 PM
whoddoo
Advanced

Default Will see if bedding in removes the squeal

Good information. I just spent Saturday at Chuckwalla Valley Racetrack and much improvement with the DS2500 pads over OEM. Bedded them in prior to the event and worked them hard on the track. No squeal on the drive home so I have my fingers crossed that these may work as a combo pad. It is easy to change out pads with the new caliper studs but even easier not having to change them. Interested to see how they treat my OEM rotors.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:06 PM
whoddoo
Advanced

Good information. I just spent Saturday at Chuckwalla Valley Racetrack and much improvement with the DS2500 pads over OEM. Bedded them in prior to the event and worked them hard on the track. No squeal on the drive home so I have my fingers crossed that these may work as a combo pad. It is easy to change out pads with the new caliper studs but even easier not having to change them. Interested to see how they treat my OEM rotors.
Following up to my earlier posts on the Ferodo DS2500 brake pads they are currently quiet and appear to produce less dust since I cleaned the car after track day at Chuckwalla. Could be on to something here,...better stopping power than OEM, less dust and (fingers crossed) no squeal. Happy with the upgrade.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:43 AM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Following up to my earlier posts on the Ferodo DS2500 brake pads they are currently quiet and appear to produce less dust since I cleaned the car after track day at Chuckwalla. Could be on to something here,...better stopping power than OEM, less dust and (fingers crossed) no squeal. Happy with the upgrade.
Thanks for your update on the performance of the DS2500. From what I can determine they are the best "cross over" pad available.

ApexPerformance.net
Premier Racing Outfitters

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: chamerly@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist-10 on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor
Old 11-10-2017, 12:55 PM
smbryan
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would you install these as an upgrade from OEM knowing they will never see a track?
Old 11-10-2017, 01:11 PM
whoddoo
Advanced

Early times with these pads but so far I would install even if I did not track the car. Probably depends on your driving style as the Porsche OEM pads are good as well. So far the Ferodo's seem to dust less than OEM and that is a good thing.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:29 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by smbryan
Would you install these as an upgrade from OEM knowing they will never see a track?
No reason to...

I use the Ferodo DS2500 right now and they are no better on the street than stock pads but they are better on the track than stock pads.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:42 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Update on the Ferodo ds2500 pads...I have 2.5 days on them at Sebring which is a tough on brakes track. GTS. I use to run Pagid Rs29 Yellows on the 2012. The ds2500 worked great on the street...quiet and stopped as well as stock. On the track they worked well too but they would experience some mushy fade towards the end of a session.

However I need to get more than 2.5 days out of brake pads. So I will be looking to see if there is anything other than Pagid RS29 Yellows Out there
Old 12-11-2017, 12:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Update on the Ferodo ds2500 pads...I have 2.5 days on them at Sebring which is a tough on brakes track. GTS. I use to run Pagid Rs29 Yellows on the 2012. The ds2500 worked great on the street...quiet and stopped as well as stock. On the track they worked well too but they would experience some mushy fade towards the end of a session.

However I need to get more than 2.5 days out of brake pads. So I will be looking to see if there is anything other than Pagid RS29 Yellows Out there
checkout PFC, much more consistent and longer lasting than pagid. I prefer 01s but 08s are ok and 11s are very good.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:58 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by 008

checkout PFC, much more consistent and longer lasting than pagid. I prefer 01s but 08s are ok and 11s are very good.
I was told PFC has nothing to fit 991S/GTS brakes. I will look again...thanks Mike
Old 12-11-2017, 11:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

I run the GT3 pads and just chamfer the edge. If you get aftermarket rotors you can get them the same as the GT3 in diameter and run all their pads. Also, you can get folks like porterfield to add different compounds to your backing plates. I’m going to do this with the 01 compound next.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:45 AM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I was told PFC has nothing to fit 991S/GTS brakes. I will look again...thanks Mike
PFC makes the GT3 front pad in 11 compound only. They have no pads at all for for the 991S stock calipers

I’m going to do this with the 01 compound next.
PFC Has not offered 01 compound on Porsche pads for 5 years. 11 compound replaced 01.

Quick Reply: Ferodo Pads now available for 991S