Sponsored by:

Opinions on Windshield Tint

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 06:18 PM
phx991
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Opinions on Windshield Tint

Has anyone tried windshield tint, and then removed it after not being happy with the optical quality?

I recently had 3M ceramic tint installed, including on the windshield. I'm fine with the fact that it's slightly darker, but during the day it also appears slightly hazy, if that makes any sense.

The side windows look great. It seems like any tint appears slightly hazy when viewed through an angle, so maybe the windshield is just not a great place for tint?
Old 09-21-2017, 07:02 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Interference with polarized sunglasses?
Old 09-21-2017, 07:06 PM
GTSMeister
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Arizona allows you to tint the windshield above the S1 line on the windshield. Actually they have a detailed way to measure it but it's close. And it can't be red or amber. An exemption is allowed for medical reasons.

If it's done at all it would be an 85% film. What did you have installed?
Old 09-21-2017, 07:18 PM
phx991
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTSMeister
Arizona allows you to tint the windshield above the S1 line on the windshield. Actually they have a detailed way to measure it but it's close. And it can't be red or amber. An exemption is allowed for medical reasons.

If it's done at all it would be an 85% film. What did you have installed?

It's 3M Crystalline C70, which I believe is 70%. The problem isn't that it's hard to see because it is too dark--it's hard to tell it's tinted. It's more of an optical quality issue.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:19 PM
phx991
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
Interference with polarized sunglasses?
No that's not it. Looks the same with or without sunglasses.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:25 PM
zx5go
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have 3M Crystalline on my windshield and I do not have an issue with optical quality. I've had Suntek on another windshield on a former DD and Llumar on my current DD. No optical issues with any of them. On my DD I went 50 percent and actually prefer it to the lighter windshield tints I've used in the past.

I have read that Crystalline can be difficult for installers that are not experienced with it due to its many layers. Mess up while heating it and it can cause optic problems due to the layers not heating and cooling consistently. That is all heresay and I'm no expert.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:28 PM
RONGLOS
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by phx991
It's 3M Crystalline C70, which I believe is 70%. The problem isn't that it's hard to see because it is too dark--it's hard to tell it's tinted. It's more of an optical quality issue.
I have this tint in both my 911 and C300 and I don't have a problem with polarization in either. I'm in Cave Creek AZ for reference in sun density. I did the tint to ease the heat from direct sun. Does make a difference.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:55 PM
GTSMeister
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by phx991
There's a lot of variables to consider and others have piped in with their results. Lots of anecdotes will line up with whatever result you want. I'd say you should get the installer to make it right. If your installer can't meet your requirements then get them to remove it and find one that will meet those requirements.

Reduced IR infiltration (pick a number you like, the 3M is 97% rejection)
Optical clarity (your eyes are the test)
No discernible visible light reduction (keeps the law away)
Cost
Warranty

You could take samples of tinted windshield laminate glass outside and tilt them at angles like a windshield to see what you like. Windshield glass is different than side glass and it's at an angle so that's going to affect your clarity issue.

Hope you find a solution you like.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:07 PM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I have Llumar Air Blue 80 on the windshield with no issues. Actually it cuts glare at night and reduces the Miami heat. Recently I also added Llumar Formula 1 30% to my glass moonroof. Great improvement since the cloth screen didn't help much with heat protection.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:36 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 735 Likes on 388 Posts

Have you tried taking it back to installer and seeing if there was an issue with film or installation?

Quick Reply: Opinions on Windshield Tint