Sponsored by:

Brakes and rotors

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 01:54 PM
Inbyten
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brakes and rotors

I've got a '14 C4S with about 17k miles on it. My rear brakes need replacing. I used them up at my last DE weekend.
I was looking at my options for aftermarket pads. I drive my car year round, and I do about 2-3 DE weekends a year. I'd rather not put on track pads each time.
Given how I use the car, I'm leaning towards either Brembo TS20 pads or Endless MX72 pads. Has anyone used these, and if so, have you been happy with them? Am I going to get better performance and wear vs OEM? They cost about 2x vs OEM, so I'm trying to decide if they're a worthwhile upgrade.

One other thing, what's the consensus on replacing rotors every time the pads are replaced? The dealer says that is what is recommended, but I'm thinking if the rotors are within spec and aren't badly grooved or have a lip, then I should get more life out of them. Thoughts?
Thanks!
Old 09-17-2017, 03:28 PM
Inbyten
Advanced

Regarding the rotors, they measure 27.5mm and they have a small lip.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:09 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Inbyten
Regarding the rotors, they measure 27.5mm and they have a small lip.
Check the rotor hats, there might be a marking that indicates the minimum thickness.

However, if you are tracking the car, you might as well replace it. Brakes and tires are very important.

Stick with OEM pads until you feel that they are not performing for you. You'll know.
You will then have to swap to race pads before a weekend or live with the annoying squeal and weak bite in the cold (depending on where you live). It's a rabbit hole and you are staring down it.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:15 PM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Received 549 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Series
Stick with OEM pads until you feel that they are not performing for you. You'll know.
You will then have to swap to race pads before a weekend or live with the annoying squeal and weak bite in the cold (depending on where you live). It's a rabbit hole and you are staring down it.
I agree with this. Until you're outperforming the stock pads, stick with them.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:58 PM
Inbyten
Advanced

Thanks for all of the replies!
My understanding is that new rear rotors are 28mm thick, and at 26mm they need to be replaced.

Quick Reply: Brakes and rotors