991.2 GTS Winter Tires... - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
991
Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS Winter Tires...

 
Old 09-06-2017, 03:04 PM
  #1  
KenTO
User
Thread Starter
 
KenTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Toronto
Posts: 676
Default 991.2 GTS Winter Tires...

Time to start planning for winter. Anyone have any info on what winter tires are compatible with the the GTS OEM rims? it seems the GTS rears are wider than the Turbo S (305 vs. 295). Can we use 295 Winters on the rears? I want to do Tires only as Tires and Rims rediculously expensive, thanks.
KenTO is offline  
Old 09-06-2017, 03:13 PM
  #2  
911boy
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,273
Default

Porsche recommends 245/295.
Dedicated tires and wheels aren't that expensive unless you buy from a Porsche dealer. You can get wheels for around $300 each. Changeover takes about 5 times longer and your OEM wheels get winter abuse. I'm in Toronto too and always use 2 sets. Sell second set when youre done. I use HRE in summer and OEM in winter
911boy is offline  
Old 09-06-2017, 03:15 PM
  #3  
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member
 
Dennis C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Evergreen, Colorado
Posts: 14,254
Default

The Turbo S uses 305s for the rear tire width for summer tires. I mounted the winter tires recommended by Porsche on my OE summer wheels, and I bought new wheels for my summer tires. So to answer your question, yes you can use 295 winters on the rears.
Dennis C is online now  
Old 09-06-2017, 03:31 PM
  #4  
Gus_Smedstad
User
 
Gus_Smedstad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Boston
Posts: 704
Default

The Turbo S centerlocks are 20 x 12; the Carrera S wheels are 20 x 11.5.

11.5" = 290mm.
12" = 305 mm.

11.5" wide rims can fit tires between 285 and 315mm, with 295-305mm preferred.
12" wide rims can fit tires between 295 and 325 mm wide, with 305-315 preferred.
Gus_Smedstad is offline  
Old 09-06-2017, 03:39 PM
  #5  
Gus_Smedstad
User
 
Gus_Smedstad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Boston
Posts: 704
Default

Originally Posted by 911boy View Post
You can get wheels for around $300 each.
That's what I did for my 4S, but I'm pretty sure KenTo is talking about the centerlocks. I haven't seen any relatively inexpensive Centerlocks.
The Tire Rack, for example, lists their cheapest centerlocks at $550 a wheel (US).
Gus_Smedstad is offline  
Old 09-06-2017, 03:46 PM
  #6  
caritch
User
 
caritch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Westchester, New York
Posts: 137
Default

I just spent time last weekend at the dealer and yesterday / today otp with [email protected] (who was super helpful). I have a 2017 C4 GTS w/centerlocks. 295 will not work on the 12in rears. I mean you can mount them - but you'll likely incur some damage to the wheel lip over the winter (happened to me on my wife's merc sl). Tire rack also reached out to pirelli to see if there would be a matching set of 245 / 305 in the Sotto 2 or 3 and the answer was no and they also explored other sizing. I am about to pull the trigger on a set of oz CL wheels (11 inch with 295s in the rear) just waiting to hear back from Damon later to confirm the fit - he is checking with their engineers (since they do not list the 2017 GTS with CL as an option).
caritch is offline  
Old 09-06-2017, 04:42 PM
  #7  
Airandwater
User
 
Airandwater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 73
Default

Tire Rack is a great source, but they only quote on things they sell. The Hakka 8 is available in 911 sizes. While not a N0 or N1 tire, it is the tire that Porsche uses on all their sports and SUV cars at their winter driving schools. So take that as you may.

I bought my rims and toms sensors at Tire Rack and my tires at Kal Tire. The rims I bought have the right offset that even a 285 tire fits nicely in the rear wheel well.
Airandwater is offline  
Old 09-06-2017, 04:46 PM
  #8  
KenTO
User
Thread Starter
 
KenTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Toronto
Posts: 676
Default

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad View Post
That's what I did for my 4S, but I'm pretty sure KenTo is talking about the centerlocks. I haven't seen any relatively inexpensive Centerlocks.
The Tire Rack, for example, lists their cheapest centerlocks at $550 a wheel (US).
Yes I am referring to Centerlocks, looking at $8-10K for wheel and tire option.
KenTO is offline  
Old 09-06-2017, 04:48 PM
  #9  
KenTO
User
Thread Starter
 
KenTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Toronto
Posts: 676
Default

Originally Posted by caritch View Post
I just spent time last weekend at the dealer and yesterday / today otp with [email protected] (who was super helpful). I have a 2017 C4 GTS w/centerlocks. 295 will not work on the 12in rears. I mean you can mount them - but you'll likely incur some damage to the wheel lip over the winter (happened to me on my wife's merc sl). Tire rack also reached out to pirelli to see if there would be a matching set of 245 / 305 in the Sotto 2 or 3 and the answer was no and they also explored other sizing. I am about to pull the trigger on a set of oz CL wheels (11 inch with 295s in the rear) just waiting to hear back from Damon later to confirm the fit - he is checking with their engineers (since they do not list the 2017 GTS with CL as an option).
Thanks for the info, keep us posted with what you find out.
KenTO is offline  
Old 09-06-2017, 04:52 PM
  #10  
KenTO
User
Thread Starter
 
KenTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Toronto
Posts: 676
Default

Originally Posted by Airandwater View Post
Tire Rack is a great source, but they only quote on things they sell. The Hakka 8 is available in 911 sizes. While not a N0 or N1 tire, it is the tire that Porsche uses on all their sports and SUV cars at their winter driving schools. So take that as you may.

I bought my rims and toms sensors at Tire Rack and my tires at Kal Tire. The rims I bought have the right offset that even a 285 tire fits nicely in the rear wheel well.
No 305 option.
KenTO is offline  
Old 09-06-2017, 05:03 PM
  #11  
caritch
User
 
caritch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Westchester, New York
Posts: 137
Default

Thanks. Will update when I have more info.
caritch is offline  
Old 09-06-2017, 05:07 PM
  #12  
Boulder Mike
User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 494
Default

Subscribed. Going to dealer this weekend to discuss options.
Boulder Mike is offline  
Old 09-06-2017, 05:17 PM
  #13  
caritch
User
 
caritch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Westchester, New York
Posts: 137
Default

Originally Posted by Boulder Mike View Post
Subscribed. Going to dealer this weekend to discuss options.
Boulder Mike - looking at another thread - I think you have the 11.5 inch rears v12? So you could be ok with the 295s
caritch is offline  
Old 09-06-2017, 05:35 PM
  #14  
Boulder Mike
User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 494
Default

Not sure. I have a 2018 gts4. Can you please advise? Thank you.
Boulder Mike is offline  
Old 09-06-2017, 05:46 PM
  #15  
caritch
User
 
caritch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Westchester, New York
Posts: 137
Default

Ahh. 2018. Then you will have the 12s.
caritch is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS Winter Tires...


Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: