Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

USA vs ROW 991.1 LED Headlight Function - Same?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 11:45 PM
SDaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default USA vs ROW 991.1 LED Headlight Function - Same?

Some posts and technical information seem to indicate LED headlights are the same regardless of market and others say functionality in the US is limited.

If ROW is different from the US, is there a "hack"?
Old 09-05-2017, 07:26 PM
Soapman72
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed
Old 09-05-2017, 07:32 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,143 Likes on 982 Posts

German Configurator stated the following for LED lights (translated):

"Headlights with low beam and high beam as well as additional lighting in LED technology. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS +) with dynamic lighting control, dynamic cornering light, speed-dependent driving light control and headlamp cleaning system. In addition, with dynamic main light for continuous adaptation of the luminous width as a function of the traffic situation (camphased). Only in conjunction with windshield with gray wedge"

US confiurator states this:

"LED Main Headlights
Full LED headlights with low/high beams in LED technology, automatic headlight leveling and LED 4-point daytime running lights surrounded by the LED light ring.

Dynamic Cornering Light
Dynamic cornering lights swivel the low beam in accordance with cornering characteristics, depending on the steering angle.

Speed-Dependent Headlight Range Control
Speed-dependent headlight range control increases light distribution after 3,300 feet at 68 mph or higher, or immediately after 81 mph and above provided the steering wheel is not turned sharply.

Sport Mode
Activated in Sport mode - allows for greater swivel angle depending on steering input.

High Beam Assistant
When a camera located inside the rear-view mirror detects the headlights of an oncoming vehicle, the high beams are automatically turned off at a distance of approximately 2,600 feet. If the taillights of a vehicle traveling in front are detected, the high beam is then turned off at a distance of approximately 1,300 feet."
Old 09-05-2017, 09:06 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

I asked my Porsche dealership service advisor about this. He confirmed that they are different, and that the dealership cannot code the headlights on US spec cars to the Euro standard. I wasn't surprised by his response.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:16 PM
SDaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I asked my Porsche dealership service advisor about this. He confirmed that they are different, and that the dealership cannot code the headlights on US spec cars to the Euro standard. I wasn't surprised by his response.
Dennis C, The information from your service advisor confirms what I suspected that, while descriptions are similar, the Europeans again get a more effective system. Hopefully someone comes up with a hack that will enable the expanded range, etc. on US cars... "for off road use only" of course.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:39 PM
quattroboy
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm hoping someone can figure this out as I have the LED PDLS Plus on my 991.2 and would love to have it operate as intended.

Quick Reply: USA vs ROW 991.1 LED Headlight Function - Same?