Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 12:18 AM
pprj
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTS ride quality

Guys.
Still on my first P, still learning.
I have a base 991 with pasm and 20 inch wheels.
How does the 911 GTS compare? Is the ride quality the same with the same wheel / tire combination?
Thanks.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:31 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

First drive one. Then decide. Talk won't help.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:14 AM
mikex25

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The same as an S with SPASM.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:17 AM
mrmojom3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikex25
The same as an S with SPASM.
Are you sure this is true? SPASM is not standard on a GTS.

So if you have an S w SPASM. And a GTS with no SPASM. Then why would a GTS with no SPASM ride the same as an S w/ SPASM?
Old 08-27-2017, 11:18 AM
mrmojom3
Racer

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
First drive one. Then decide. Talk won't help.
I'm interested as well. However there are no GTS anywhere near me to drive to compare. Using the forum is helpful to get others feedback.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:49 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmojom3
I'm interested as well. However there are no GTS anywhere near me to drive to compare. Using the forum is helpful to get others feedback.
I 100% agree, you will most likely get several responses on what the differences are but there is zero connection between that info and the actual driving experience for YOU.

A better way may be to see if any rennlisters have one in your area for you to take a drive in. I'm in the Bay Area and didn't see your location but I would be willing to help you out if you wanted to take a test drive.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:50 AM
9ELOVIN
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

You are going to have to drive one. Ride quality is a very subjective subject and what is comfortable to me may not be comfortable to you and vice versa. I recently sold my 2006 Carrera 4S Cab. I now have a couple of hundred miles on my 2018 Carrera 4 GTS Coupe. Here is the build: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1013...-gts-coup.html

To me, in normal mode, the GTS feels like a stiff luxury sedan. The ride is far more comfortable then my cab. In sport mode, it stiffens up but the car is solid as a rock. As you can see from my build, however, the car has PDCC. While that is a ride leveling system it is also a Comfort System. The bottom line is that unless you are looking for a plush ride, you will love the right of the GTS. You will also love its capabilities. Hope this helps.

Last edited by 9ELOVIN; 08-27-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:19 PM
Ira Blumberg
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

So if you have an S w SPASM. And a GTS with no SPASM. Then why would a GTS with no SPASM ride the same as an S w/ SPASM?

At least in the US, SPASM is standard on the coupe GTS models (2 & 4). You can option for PASM instead, but that is an option.

Thus, I agree, you can get a good feel for the GTS coupe ride if you can find and test an S coupe with SPASM. Also try to find one with PDCC as this definitely helps the ride quality.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:21 PM
Ira Blumberg
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 9ELOVIN
You are going to have to drive one. Ride quality is a very subjective subject and what is comfortable to me may not be comfortable to you and vice versa. I recently sold my 2006 Carrera 4S Cab. I now have a couple of hundred miles on my 2018 Carrera 4 GTS Coupe. Here is the build: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1013...-gts-coup.html

To me, in normal mode, the GTS feels like a stiff luxury sedan. The ride is far more comfortable then my cab. In sport mode, it stiffens up but the car is solid as a rock. As you can see from my build, however, the car has PDCC. Wow that is a ride leveling system it is also a Comfort System. The bottom line is that unless you are looking for a plush ride, you will love the right of the GTS. You will also love its capabilities. Hope this helps.

I agree completely. I have a C4 GTS with SPASM & PDCC. I leave it in sport mode. It is no firmer than the M4 I used to drive and at least for me, it is entirely comfortable even on some mediocre roads.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:28 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

I don't think this is correct. SPASM is included on the 2018 GTS according to this option which is about selecting PASM (not SPASM), and came from the configurator:

Standard Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) (10 mm lower)

Note: Selection of this option removes PASM Sport Suspension (20 mm lower) which is fitted as standard equipment on the 911 Carrera GTS coupe models.
Old 08-27-2017, 04:41 PM
mikex25

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ira Blumberg
At least in the US, SPASM is standard on the coupe GTS models (2 & 4). You can option for PASM instead, but that is an option.

Thus, I agree, you can get a good feel for the GTS coupe ride if you can find and test an S coupe with SPASM. Also try to find one with PDCC as this definitely helps the ride quality.
+1 on this, SPASM is standard except on Targas.
Old 08-27-2017, 05:36 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mikex25
+1 on this, SPASM is standard except on Targas.
And cabs
Old 08-27-2017, 06:05 PM
mrmojom3
Racer

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
And cabs
So to make sure I'm clear. I'm shopping 15 / 16 GTS. I do NOT want SPASM. I have it on my 14 4S and its too stiff for me.

So when I'm pulling build sheets, I see some 991.1 GTS where SPASM is listed. And some do not list SPASM. Thus I assumed it had to be added. You are saying SPASM is standard on all 991.1 unless its specifically stated on the build sheet or sticker "PASM" option.

I remember reading some threads where 991.1 GTS guys were mad they didnt opt for SPASM on the GTS.

Here's an example. Does the following 991.1 GTS have SPASM? I dont see it listed. But other 991.1 GTS build sheets specifically state SPASM.

I have a deposit on a 991.1 GTS under the assumption that it didnt have SPASM. I will need to cancel my GTS search if this is indeed true!!

You can see in the pics I posted. SPASM is specifically called out as a line item. In the GTS I'm looking at, there is no mention of SPASM on the build sheet or the window sticker. Thus I assumed SPASM was an optional add on for the 991.1 GTS.
Attached Images  
Attached Files
Old 08-27-2017, 06:06 PM
mrmojom3
Racer

I can attach more build sheets. Some state SPASM so do not.

I'm using Chrome and the insert tool for the forum isnt working for me, so I cannot post them.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:46 PM
mrmojom3
Racer

All the reviews state GTS includes PASM active suspension not Sport PASM. Even Edmunds lists SPASM as an option for the 15 GTS

https://www.edmunds.com/porsche/911/...eatures-specs/

I see the code 030 - PASM Sport Suspension listed on many build sheets. Why would that code be listed on some build sheets, but not others if its standard?

All the info I can find on the 17 GTS states Sport PASM is standard.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...rsche-911-gts/

Can anybody show me documentation where it states the 991.1 GTS includes Sport PASM as standard? I need to cancel a flight I was about to book today to pick up a GTS

Again, I'm not looking to debate or disagree, but get my facts straight. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: GTS ride quality