Sponsored by:

Ashtray Lid Will Not Close

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017 | 01:32 PM
cmb13
Racer

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Awesome! Glad you got it fixed.

I wonder how that catch got misaligned. That's weird!
Thanks - don't know but now I can take it apart and put it back together in minutes. I'll bet they (dealer) would have charged $200 to fix it.

Reminds me of when I had a BMW 3 series 12 yrs ago - the sliding shade covering the moonroof went off track. The BMW dealer called it an "elevator lift mechanism" or something like that - can fix it for $750. I went on the BMW forum, was advised to purchase 4 clips that cost $16, received instructions to remove the glass roof and replace the clips - it ended up costing me $16 and took 15 minutes.
Old 01-27-2019 | 12:35 AM
alberthyc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cmb13
Fixed - I removed the ashtray, found a tiny silver catch on the L side that I pushed in about 1 mm, and it works. That's it - just one stinking mm. Little silver spec on the left is the catch. Need to advance inwards so it catches.
hi, how do you remove the ashtray? Mine just happened an hour ago. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2019 | 01:19 AM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Remove trim pieces and button box.

Tabs hold ashtray firm.

Pull power connector horizontally to detach from ashtray.
Originally Posted by alberthyc

hi, how do you remove the ashtray? Mine just happened an hour ago. Thanks.
You need to remove the side panel/s, open the center console lid, remove the top metal trim piece and the button tray/box. Once you remove the button box and disconnect a small connector, you push the ashtray forward. There are two dimples, one on each top side (left & right) that hold the ashtray firm on rails. Just separate one dimple at a time by applying a tiny bit of sideways force with a plastic trim tool, (be gentle) and slide the ashtray forward. Once you dislodge the ashtray you will need to pull the black power connector horizontally outward. Installation is the opposite.

Quick Reply: Ashtray Lid Will Not Close