Sponsored by:

Shopping around for a discount on a GTS order

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 07:53 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Shopping around for a discount on a GTS order

I talked to a couple of dealerships today about ordering a GTS 4 Cabriolet. I got a couple of variations on "I don't think we'll discount an order like that," even though a couple of forum members here have mentioned getting 5%-6% discounts on GTS orders.

Is it workable, looking long distance for dealers that might make better offers? I'm in the Boston area.

As to why an order - what I want is a manual GTS 4 Cab in sapphire blue. As far as I can tell, there are none of those in anyone's on-the-lot inventory, anywhere, and they're pretty much nonexistent used as well.

The closest I've seen is the manual RWD GTS Cab in Racing Yellow in Arlington. Since my wife doesn't want to replace her Cayman, and we do want at least one AWD car in the garage, I don't feel I can compromise on the RWD vs. AWD issue.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:05 PM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't know the logistics of having something shipped versus flying in to take delivery, but you can get 4-5% here in Dallas.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:05 PM
DDT99
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got 4.75 percent off a 2018 Targa GTS build in the LA area if that is any help. First time buyer. In talking to other people and based on the comments on this forum, that is a very fair deal.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:08 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DDT99
I got 4.75 percent off a 2018 Targa GTS build in the LA area if that is any help.
I'm a bit surprised by that in particular, because the impression I got from the HFS thread was the California was a skewed market, and discounts less common there. I used to live in the LA area - Redondo beach at one point, Sherman Oaks later - and I'm aware that it's very much a car culture there.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:18 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 205 Posts

This is what I've learned from buying a lot of cars. Don't choose your dealership based on the biggest discount. Establishing a relationship with a local dealership will give you the best experience and will avoid the need for transporting a car. I've had a couple of transport horror stories. Unless it's a GT3 or GT3 RS, you should be able to get some kind of discount. Whether it's 3% vs 5-6% it shouldn't matter that much.
Another point: don't get lazy if trading a car. If local dealer is a 1-2k less then it's reasonable to maintain a relationship. However, you will find that on many occasions you will get more elsewhere (more than tax credit you will receive on trade).
Old 08-20-2017, 11:26 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Give Hoffman in Hartford, CT a call. About an hour and a half drive from Boston, but a smaller market and historically a bit more willing to deal.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:26 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kyrocks
Another point: don't get lazy if trading a car. If local dealer is a 1-2k less then it's reasonable to maintain a relationship. However, you will find that on many occasions you will get more elsewhere (more than tax credit you will receive on trade).
I'm not really understanding your reasoning here.

Trade-ins seem like the hairy part of dealing with a dealership long distance, not the discount. On an ordered car, you know what you're getting from the dealership, so you don't need to see the car, just discuss figures. However, the dealership is definitely going to want to see the car before they make an offer, and if you don't like the offer, you're in a bad bargaining position, since you've already moved the car there one way or another.

Unless there's some way for dealerships to evaluate a trade long distance? I.e. work through a local dealership? I'd think that wouldn't hold any incentive for the local dealership.

I've only one done long distance purchase in the past, and that was with a FSBO and no trade, so it was pretty straightforward. I've sold a couple of cars long distance, but of course that was just a matter of showing the cars to interested buyers.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:11 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 205 Posts

I meant evaluate both sides of the deal if you're trading. I buy my new Porsches at my local Porsche dealer (3 of them) even though the discount may be larger somewhere outside DFW. That doesn't mean I do my trade at the Porsche dealer (if I'm trading). I have found that the dealer here really lowballs me on trades so I sell elsewhere (dealer or private).
Old 08-20-2017, 02:06 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 399 Likes on 226 Posts

This is a lesson I've learned as well. It takes awhile and some give and take but it works.

Originally Posted by kyrocks
This is what I've learned from buying a lot of cars. Don't choose your dealership based on the biggest discount. Establishing a relationship with a local dealership will give you the best experience and will avoid the need for transporting a car. I've had a couple of transport horror stories. Unless it's a GT3 or GT3 RS, you should be able to get some kind of discount. Whether it's 3% vs 5-6% it shouldn't matter that much.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:12 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 736 Likes on 365 Posts

I live in Houston, but have been buying from Autobahn in Fort Worth.

I was offered 4% off of a 2018 GTS orders to my specs. We have purchased 5 cars from them in the last 10 years.

Quick Reply: Shopping around for a discount on a GTS order