Sponsored by:

Back to Square One/GTS Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 09:38 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Back to Square One/GTS Build

I've been VERY conflicted about how to build a 2018 C2S 911 in Carmine Red. Carmine Red really has my interest, so tomorrow I am going to drive 3+ hours to another dealer that has a 911 GTS Cab in Carmine Red. Have never seen Carmine Red in person on a 911, this will be a first. My conflicted part is three fold...is Carmine Red the correct color for me (over GR for example - I do like reds), was my choice of Guards Red interior trim highlights in the C2S too much with CR, and by the time I specced out a C2S why not build a GTS for just a little more dinero? I currently have a C2S on order, but today stopped by the dealer and asked the SA 'is there any way you can get me a GTS?' His face lit up.

He went online and said, holy cow there are 3 new allocations at other dealers, let me see what I can do. A few phone calls, emails, texts, and about 2 hours later and I get BINGO! I have a GTS coupe allocation for you! He's trading a GTS Cab allocation for a GTS coupe allocation with first week of Dec delivery. What a lucky find, and what a great SA! And I'm getting the identical % discount off MSRP as the C2S!

So here's my build (I am already WAY over budget so can't go with much more, if any). Comments most welcome!:

Price

Base Price 911 Carrera GTS
991140 $120,700

Price for Equipment $24,850

Delivery, Processing and Handling Fee $1,050

Total Price* $146,600

Exterior Color Carmine Red 0L $3,150

Interior Color Leather Interior in Black AZ $3,850

Packages

Premium Package Plus i.c.w. Power Sport Seats (14-way)P3Em$2,160

Porsche Entry & Drive $0

Auto-Dimming Mirrors $0

Light Design Package $0

Seat Heating (Front) $0

Seat Ventilation (Front) $0

Exterior

Power Folding Exterior Mirrors 748 $0

Electric Slide/Tilt Sunroof in Glass 653 $2,000

SportDesign Package Porsche Exclusive ManufakturXAT $1,510

Headlight Cleaning System Covers in Deviated Exterior Color Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur 88 - Satin Black (or gloss black???)CGU $300

Side Mirror Painted (Lower Trim) Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur CNL $650

Performance

Manual Transmission 487 $0

Rear Axle Steering 470 $2,090

Wheels 20" 911 Turbo S Wheels 449 $0

Interior

Lane Change Assist (LCA) 457 $850

GT Sport Steering Wheel 858 $0

Heated Multifunction Steering Wheel 489 $470

Deletion of Alcantara® 714 $0

Power Sport Seats (14-way) with Memory Package P06 $1,530

Smoking Package 583 $0

Interior Leather

Extended Interior Package with Stitching in Deviated Thread Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur XVL $3,500

Porsche Crest on Headrests Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur XSC $290

Interior Aluminum

Door-Sill Guards in Stainless Steel, Illuminated Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur XXB $900

Audio and Communications

BOSE® Surround Sound System 9VL $1,600

Color Leather / Deviated Stitching

Color Selection for Stitching in Deviated Thread
U2 - GT Silver 00480 $0

Total Price*$146,600

Any and all input most welcome!

Last edited by flickroll; 08-19-2017 at 12:21 AM.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:59 PM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Your build looks great, very similar to the options I myself have chosen. I did not go with the sport design spoiler as it is a very small visual difference for the money. I also think sport design mirrors look best so be sure to compare those.
Carmine red is pretty, not as bright and "in your face" as guards. I just compared them side by side and you can see guards has an orange tonewhen side by side to Carmine. I personally like GR better but I am having a midlife crisis and like wild and crazy right now. Many people love Carmine as a more true "Ferrari -ish" red.
Deviated stitching is GORGEOUS.
Putting $24,000 of options on your build is really easy to do. If you're going to keep the car for several years, it's worth it. If you're like me and trade every 2 to 3 years, Bear in mind you won't get any more trade value than a very low optioned car. ( this is something I'm ok with).
Having said all this, if you get your color firmly decided, you have specc'd out one hell of a 911.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:22 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by docmalone
Your build looks great, very similar to the options I myself have chosen. I did not go with the sport design spoiler as it is a very small visual difference for the money. I also think sport design mirrors look best so be sure to compare those.
Carmine red is pretty, not as bright and "in your face" as guards. I just compared them side by side and you can see guards has an orange tonewhen side by side to Carmine. I personally like GR better but I am having a midlife crisis and like wild and crazy right now. Many people love Carmine as a more true "Ferrari -ish" red.
Deviated stitching is GORGEOUS.
Putting $24,000 of options on your build is really easy to do. If you're going to keep the car for several years, it's worth it. If you're like me and trade every 2 to 3 years, Bear in mind you won't get any more trade value than a very low optioned car. ( this is something I'm ok with).
Having said all this, if you get your color firmly decided, you have specc'd out one hell of a 911.
thanks for the input. I too like sport design mirrors, however in the configurator I'm not seeing them unless you get half painted, half carbon fiber. Can you get all painted some other way?
Old 08-18-2017, 11:26 PM
mrneddles
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Great build!

If it were my money, I would skip the sport design package and the rear wheel steering. That would save a bunch.

Also, do the headlight washers in gloss black to match the gloss black lettering on the rear.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:40 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

I would save the $300 for the headlight washers as I believe they are already black on a GTS. I would also skip sport design as it is just the rear spoiler (I think). Finally, I am not sure of your ownership horizon, but Rear Wheel Steer seems expensive and not worth it to me. Sport design mirrors are standard on the GTS. $650 to paint the bottom body color is offensive to me.

Last one, $3500 for deviated stitching would also be somewhere to cut. I know everyone loves it, but it is so, well it is an in thing now, but maybe not so cool down the line.

I should say it is a great build and these were only comments in reference to budget.

Last edited by evilfij; 08-19-2017 at 01:07 AM.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:04 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by evilfij
I would save the $300 for the headlight washers as I believe they are already black on a GTS. I would also skip sport design as it is just the rear spoiler (I think). Finally, I am not sure of your ownership horizon, but Rear Wheel Steer seems expensive and not worth it to me. Sport design mirrors are standard on the GTS. $650 to paint the bottom body color is offensive to me.

Last one, $3500 for deviated stitching would also be somewhere to cut. I know everyone loves it, but it is so, well it is an in thing now, but maybe not so cool down the line.
Good catch on the washers, I took that option off and sure enough they remained black in the 3d configurator, thanks!

I go back and forth on the rear spoiler and will likely ditch it, but it looks really cool, so we'll see. I have gone to sport design mirrors with the lower half black. With all of the black on the car they will look great. I will likely keep the rear axle steering as well as the stitching. Having said that, cutting both the spoiler and the stitching significantly lowers the cost of the car. Going to give those things some thought over the weekend as on Monday the SA and I will enter the design into the system.

Last edited by flickroll; 08-19-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:59 AM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 561 Likes on 211 Posts

Needs more carbon fiber
Old 08-19-2017, 03:48 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

I am glad my endless hours on the configurator have born some small amount of fruit. Lol. I swear I could recreate it from memory, prices and all.
Old 08-19-2017, 04:06 AM
Ed911.2
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

...Rear Wheel Steer seems expensive and not worth it...
...would skip the sport design package and the rear wheel steering...
As the owner of a GTS with RAS and having test driven cars with and without it I would say it is one of the better value options you can specify on a 911.

For the cost of a bit of interior trim you get: a) a smaller turning circle, b) more manoeuvrability when parking/garaging, c) keener turn-in on tight bends and d) better high-speed stability. It takes the agility of the car to a higher level in most driving situations, especially (so I’m told) when on the track but you benefit from the effects in daily driving, too.

I managed to parallel park mine in a space that a Mini had failed to get in to, mostly down the rear end being able to move laterally, rather than supreme skill on my part.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:53 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 84 Posts

Looks like a nice build! I'd also say keep the RAS, LCA, and stitching. I like the GTS alcantara stuff but that's all personal taste. Enjoy a great car!
Old 08-19-2017, 08:27 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

I've seen Carmine Red in person and it's very nice...it ties in the red on the Porsche Crests on the hood and wheels very well

..however the guards red interior will not match at all...if you want painted interior with Carmine and Porsche won't do Carmine paint interior....I don't know if they do or now....do glass black interior and then have a few parts on exterior down in gloss black to tie it all in.

Good choice on the GTS...only way to go in my option if your not doing a Turbo or GT3.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:37 AM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm currently in the process of spec'ing a manual Targa (or cab, still not made up my mind) GTS, so this stuff is uppermost in my mind.

I echo that the SportDesign package seems like a small aesthetic change for the money. The fixed Aerokit Cup wing is dramatic, and I could see wanting that, but not the small changes the SportDesign package brings.

I might skip the door sill guards, since that doesn't seem like a dramatic change either.

Things you've specified that I think are a good idea:

Lane Change Assist. A few months ago I pulled away from my tire place and almost got sideswiped. I did a headcheck, and still didn't see him coming. The extra warning of LCA might have avoided the close call. At $850, it's cheap insurance against that sort of thing.

Rear axle steering for reasons already outlined by Ed911.

Originally Posted by flickroll
And I'm getting the identical % discount off MSRP as the C2S!
How much of a discount? I really want to negotiate this deal better than I did my last.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:49 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mdrums
I've seen Carmine Red in person and it's very nice...it ties in the red on the Porsche Crests on the hood and wheels very well

..however the guards red interior will not match at all...if you want painted interior with Carmine and Porsche won't do Carmine paint interior....I don't know if they do or now....do glass black interior and then have a few parts on exterior down in gloss black to tie it all in.

Good choice on the GTS...only way to go in my option if your not doing a Turbo or GT3.
All, thanks all for your input, it has been very helpful. So far I deleted the painted headlight washers....didn't realize they were already included in black. Changed the side mirrors to Sport Design. The only way you can get them is painted upper and black lower. That's ok because the black lower will blend nicely with the the other black accents on the car. I agree with the comments on the Sport Design Package - it is a lot of money for what it is. To me however it looks really cool....like the Duck does to others...but it is a lot of cash for what you get. My current thought is if I don't get it, I would later regret it, so we'll see. Only other concern is the deviated stitching color-GT Silver. I think it will look very sharp but am concerned about it showing dirt, and also the blue dye from jeans. Any suggestions on other thread colors to choose? The only red thread is GR and I don't think it will look right, but others have said that would be fine. Believe it or not I perused EVERY dealer in the US and did not find a single Carmine Red car with GR interior accents-that tells me something. If a car had different seat belts or gauge faces it was always in Bordeaux Red, never in GR. Come to think of it I don't think I saw a car with stitching in a light color thread, but I do think it would look nice.

Last edited by flickroll; 08-19-2017 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:56 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
How much of a discount? I really want to negotiate this deal better than I did my last.
6.5%. I think that is pretty good, perhaps others have received a bigger discount, but I am happy with 6.5, especially since they offered a nice trade in value for my 2015 black Cab. I am a regular customer of this dealer and they are a pleasure to work with. The work the SA did yesterday locating a GTS allocation on my behalf is a good example. He said 'I WILL find you a GTS' and within 2 hours had a deal with another dealer.

Last edited by flickroll; 08-19-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:00 AM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

GTS in Carmine is gorgeous. You won't regret it.

Quick Reply: Back to Square One/GTS Build