Sponsored by:

Current best finance rates?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 02:28 PM
wassy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Current best finance rates?

Hi all. Should be picking up my 2018 next week. Gonna finance a bit of it. I have a credit union or two that I can get awesome rates from for 72 months but dealer won’t take a bank draft. I’d have to buy car for cash then refinance with title in hand because of that. Rate is 1.79%.

I know buy rates at dealers are usually just under 2% lately and I was promised buy rate. I’m wondering if any of you recently financed some or all of a new Porsche at a Porsche Dealer what kind of rates you got? I’m being told it looks like 2.75%. I think that’s high comparatively speaking to what I can get elswwhere or on recent purchases from other brands and dealers. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:34 PM
Double_J
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wassy
Hi all. Should be picking up my 2018 next week. Gonna finance a bit of it. I have a credit union or two that I can get awesome rates from for 72 months but dealer won’t take a bank draft. I’d have to buy car for cash then refinance with title in hand because of that. Rate is 1.79%.

I know buy rates at dealers are usually just under 2% lately and I was promised buy rate. I’m wondering if any of you recently financed some or all of a new Porsche at a Porsche Dealer what kind of rates you got? I’m being told it looks like 2.75%. I think that’s high comparatively speaking to what I can get elswwhere or on recent purchases from other brands and dealers. Thanks in advance.
Why won't dealer take a bank draft? I don't think I've ever had a problem doing it before. Is it common for high end cars?

Tell the dealer the rate you can get through the credit union and refuse to buy unless they get it for you. Can't they buy it down for you (out of their end of the deal) should they choose to do so?

Edited to add that 1.79% seems really low. My credit union is currently at 2.79% and they're usually pretty good about being on the low end of the scale.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:07 PM
ajskydiver
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

1.79% is fantastic. Lower than USAA and penfed.

Only Ford is lower at 0%. But you have to buy a Ford.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:37 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Never heard of a dealer not taking a bank draft for financing from a 3rd party. I show up with the letter stating the funds are available and then get the dealer to match or beat it.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:49 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 245 Likes on 153 Posts

Only Ford is lower at 0%. But you have to buy a Ford.
Not on the GT-350 or GT-350R.....or even the Focus RS. I've looked!
Old 08-01-2017, 04:53 PM
wassy
Rennlist Member

I agree. Never had an issue before. I’m not sure why this dealer won’t take a draft. Possibly to make it more difficult and force the average Joe into their rates? Or they were burned before. I don’t mind going a tad higher to 1.99% or so direct
From dealer but I’m waiting for a callback after they speak to bank reps.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:17 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It surprised me once that a dealer was not aware a bank draft is the same as a certified check. Once he realized that, it was smooth sailing. If it's a good deal, tell him to keep the car till the check clears if you have to. Whats a couple of days.

Dealer interest rates sometimes are from banks they have a relationship with. In that relationship, the dealer gets a kickback for high interest rate loans. Because of that, too, the dealer will discount the car if you finance through their bankers. The discount more than compensated for by the amount of the kickback.

Stay alert.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:32 PM
Cherryblock
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 76 Posts

2.49 percent on a 60 month loan with 20 percent down
Old 08-01-2017, 07:15 PM
wassy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fuddman
It surprised me once that a dealer was not aware a bank draft is the same as a certified check. Once he realized that, it was smooth sailing. If it's a good deal, tell him to keep the car till the check clears if you have to. Whats a couple of days.

Dealer interest rates sometimes are from banks they have a relationship with. In that relationship, the dealer gets a kickback for high interest rate loans. Because of that, too, the dealer will discount the car if you finance through their bankers. The discount more than compensated for by the amount of the kickback.

Stay alert.

They don’t accept bank drafts apparently as he said because it can take up to two weeks to clear. Never heard of such a thing. Must have had a bad experience long ago. Lol.

I can can pay cash and then finance the portion I wanted to if all else fails. I was offered Buy Rate. No markup. Part of my agreement, inclusive of discount.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:06 PM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just purchased a 2014 Cayman S through a Porsche dealer at 2.44%
Old 08-01-2017, 08:30 PM
wassy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChicagoSpeed996
I just purchased a 2014 Cayman S through a Porsche dealer at 2.44%

thanks. PFS or another bank? How long?
Old 08-01-2017, 10:19 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wassy
thanks. PFS or another bank? How long?
That's not PFS, I can promise you that.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:13 AM
wassy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 81911
That's not PFS, I can promise you that.
LOL. No kidding
Old 08-02-2017, 09:58 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Default RAtes vs refi rates

I just did a rate of 3.24 for 72 mths on a 2012 with SDFCU. Thier refi rate is much lower and for some reason most of the credit unions have a much lower refi rate. Why would a refi rate be a point lower than a purchase rate ?
Old 08-02-2017, 12:48 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 113 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by fuddman

Stay alert.
There's no "kickback" but I think you mean the same thing as wholesale rate vs retail rate. The dealer buys at 1.5%, sells you at 2.00% and they profit off the interest difference. There's no magic formula, the sales manager looks at the deal in its entirety, profit from sale and profit from financing. With that said, if you get a loan from your own bank, you have the bank cut the check to the dealer and you present it when you sing the purchase agreement. I'm not sure why any dealer would not accept this. A sale is a sale to them.

I use this Credit Union for my car loans, you can see the rates they publish.
https://www.dupagecu.com/

With the way the market has been, it makes no sense to put any money into these cars.

When I bought my wife's MDX, Acura had special financing rates, but that was bought new.

Quick Reply: Current best finance rates?