Sponsored by:

Few questions about manual transmission on 991.2 c4

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 01:45 AM
Greenfall
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few questions about manual transmission on 991.2 c4

1. Read porsche press tech materials. Noticed that the rear axle ratio on c2 is 3.44 while the ratio on c4 is 3.09. Any idea why is that the case, and how would it affects in real life?
2. Hows the transmission feels in driving experience? Hoes the feeling of padel, hows the shifter etc... Comparing to manual in other porsches or other cars like f80 m3 (The car im currently owning), or sti (I happened to drive few times) or vw passat (my first car) or any other cars. I wish I could test drive the car, but my local dealer dont have a manual 911 for now. But I ordered it anyway since porsche has such a high reputation. What can possibily go wrong?
3. Does porsche 7mt has synchronizer on reverse gear?

Thank you. Have a nice day.

Last edited by Greenfall; 07-28-2017 at 02:05 AM. Reason: forgot to say have a nice day
Old 07-28-2017, 12:17 PM
ATLBond
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Greenfall
1. Read porsche press tech materials. Noticed that the rear axle ratio on c2 is 3.44 while the ratio on c4 is 3.09. Any idea why is that the case, and how would it affects in real life?
2. Hows the transmission feels in driving experience? Hoes the feeling of padel, hows the shifter etc... Comparing to manual in other porsches or other cars like f80 m3 (The car im currently owning), or sti (I happened to drive few times) or vw passat (my first car) or any other cars. I wish I could test drive the car, but my local dealer dont have a manual 911 for now. But I ordered it anyway since porsche has such a high reputation. What can possibily go wrong?

Thank you. Have a nice day.
I drive a 991.2 C2S MT. I chose MT purely for the joy of orchestrating my own symphony with a clutch and stick, and free revving with PSE on whenever I feel like just for the heck of it. All the MT cars I have driven in the past were 5 speed and none had the kind of torque or power of the C2S. Getting used to 911's 7 speed took few weeks. Before deciding on MT, I test drove similarly equipped 911 with MT and PDK. I did not feel very involved (purely my opinion, could be biased because of my love for MT) with the PDK and PDK manual mode was not gratifying without a clutch. Make no mistake, you are never going to beat PDK. Its all about involvement and emotional feel. The shifts are short and precise and clutch pressure / release point is perfect. I'd recommend you test drive a MT, even if its a 991.1, so you can make an informed decision. Response from this forum is likely to be biased (like mine). Maybe someone who has owned and driven both can chime in. All the best, you are going to have a blast irrespective.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:48 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,143 Likes on 982 Posts

I have a 2018 991.2 C4 7MT and also a 2014 981 Boxster S 6MT. Both transmissions are fantastic.

The 981's clutch is heavy while the 991.2 is very light. It almost felt flimsy to me the first time I drove it. After I put 2800 miles on the 991 during European delivery, I came back to my 981 and the clutch just felt extremely heavy - like a tank..... 10 minutes and I got used to it again.

I don't like the 7th gear in the .2. I prefer 5 speeds and I routinely skip gears going up and down the rowing motions. 7th is locked out when shifting to 5th from 4th so you can't skip gears going from 4th to 7th. You have to go to 6th first. I love the rev matching in both cars. You have to get sport chrono package to get that feature though.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:01 PM
ATLBond
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
I have a 2018 991.2 C4 7MT and also a 2014 981 Boxster S 6MT. Both transmissions are fantastic.

The 981's clutch is heavy while the 991.2 is very light. It almost felt flimsy to me the first time I drove it. After I put 2800 miles on the 991 during European delivery, I came back to my 981 and the clutch just felt extremely heavy - like a tank..... 10 minutes and I got used to it again.

I don't like the 7th gear in the .2. I prefer 5 speeds and I routinely skip gears going up and down the rowing motions. 7th is locked out when shifting to 5th from 4th so you can't skip gears going from 4th to 7th. You have to go to 6th first. I love the rev matching in both cars. You have to get sport chrono package to get that feature though.
You can go 5th to 7th, I do it all the time.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:03 PM
quattr0
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coming from MT M4, the manual in my C2 is 6-7 times better than M4's (scale to 10). More direct and buttery smooth! I just wish that there isn't a 7th gear. I know I don't need to shift but seeing the rpm difference (very little) and wanting to save gas so I shift lol
Old 07-28-2017, 01:33 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

On my recent trip from D.C. to Florida, I used 7th for highway driving. I was averaging about 31 MPG according the PCM. It's the first time I really used it, but if you just want to cruise and listen to music, it's nice to have. Otherwise, 6th and 7th are mostly ignored as the exhaust note sounds so much sweeter in lower gears.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:35 PM
Greenfall
Intermediate

Good news. I prefer light clutch because thats the way I like it. I thought the clutch on .2 would be heavy since it is a dual mass clutch with big diamter. Seems like its not true.
And I will get sport chrono for sure.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:13 PM
Biff trout
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2017 991.2 C4S 7MT and it is a true joy to drive. Installed the short shift kit for the 981 - stock was great - w/SSK is superb.

Not worried about PDK being faster - I bought the car for driving pleasure, not racing.

Regards,

BIFF
Old 07-28-2017, 11:30 PM
asia
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

1. Final drive ratios are actually S/base 3.59/3.44. Spec. The large S ratio effectively increases driving torque by the ratio of the two, or ~1.04x or 4%. So improved acceleration with a corresponding decrease in vehicle speed at any given rpm. So redline speeds in each gear are lower. Also top speed (autoban) may be lower (less available torque/power at a given max mph in 6th gear) that it would have been with the base ratio.

2. IMO it's really good. Maybe not quite as good as my S2000 AP1, but good. See here for a gearbox review which I agree with. Maybe go to PEC Atlanta for a test drive?

3. ?
Old 07-28-2017, 11:31 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,143 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by ATLBond
You can go 5th to 7th, I do it all the time.
How do you do this? Manual states that this cannot be done in a .2. I can't do it either after multiple attempts. Are you short shifting to 6th first?
Old 07-29-2017, 12:04 AM
Greenfall
Intermediate

How do you do this? Manual states that this cannot be done in a .2. I can't do it either after multiple attempts. Are you short shifting to 6th first?
Actually, according to manual
"A sequential gearshift lock is installed to prevent an accidental shift to 7th gear when a sporty driving style is adopted.

It is only possible to shift to 7th gear from 5th or 6th gear (see Fig. 265, white and yellow line)."
Old 07-29-2017, 12:09 AM
Greenfall
Intermediate

Originally Posted by asia
1. Final drive ratios are actually S/base 3.59/3.44. Spec. The large S ratio effectively increases driving torque by the ratio of the two, or ~1.04x or 4%. So improved acceleration with a corresponding decrease in vehicle speed at any given rpm. So redline speeds in each gear are lower. Also top speed (autoban) may be lower (less available torque/power at a given max mph in 6th gear) that it would have been with the base ratio.

2. IMO it's really good. Maybe not quite as good as my S2000 AP1, but good. See here for a gearbox review which I agree with. Maybe go to PEC Atlanta for a test drive?

3. ?

Thank you for the reply. But I was asking about the gear ratio difference between the carrera all wheel drive version versus two wheel drive version not base vs s. As stated in the press material I downloaded from " http://press.porsche.com/models/911 ", they are different too. It is 3.44 on c2 and 3.09 on c4. Not sure why. And I also noticed that even though the final ratios are dofferent for c2 and c2s. Its the same for c4 and c4s, both 3.09.
Syncronizer is not a must have for reverse gear, but its better to have it. However, even though I could not find the answer. Since 7 mt shared almost entirely same design as pdk except its manual, I can assume it must has one.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:14 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,796 Likes on 4,779 Posts

Yes, no need to double-clutch.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:16 AM
Greenfall
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Yes, no need to double-clutch.
I think 7mt is the manual version not dual clutch.
Beside, I dont know too much about mechanics, but I think at least most dct do have synchros
Old 07-29-2017, 12:23 AM
Greenfall
Intermediate

Originally Posted by quattr0
Coming from MT M4, the manual in my C2 is 6-7 times better than M4's (scale to 10). More direct and buttery smooth! I just wish that there isn't a 7th gear. I know I don't need to shift but seeing the rpm difference (very little) and wanting to save gas so I shift lol

N I C E !

Quick Reply: Few questions about manual transmission on 991.2 c4