Sponsored by:

what is the smoking package

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 04:37 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
It's a place that Porsche wants you to put your radar detector controls.

Why, yes it is. Although, your surround looks much neater. I'm a long way from Portland though. And the cover does still close.

Old 07-28-2017, 04:42 PM
GregD
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Or...you'd take up smoking if you got stuck with the useless cubby.

Seriously wish there was an option to put a parking brake switch that was actually intuitive there. I'd rather have that than the door or the cubby. An actual e-brake handle would be even better, but that ship has sailed.
Better yet, a parking brake button that sets when pulled and releases when pushed. Like, I don't know, every other car on earth, or the old manual brake...
>1 year with my 991 and I still can't get it right !
Old 07-28-2017, 04:45 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Here are two different Porsche smoking packages. One is OEM. The other is aftermarket.
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
AdamSanta85 (09-27-2019)
Old 07-28-2017, 08:00 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Someone say smoking Package?

I take it no one still smokes ....

Last edited by evilfij; 07-29-2017 at 12:01 AM.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:52 PM
*991*
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Here are two different Porsche smoking packages. One is OEM. The other is aftermarket.
I thought one was for during the week and the other was for weekends
Old 07-28-2017, 10:04 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 780 Posts

The smoking package is a little different here in Colorado. Here's a great example of how it looks in a Cayenne:
Attached Images   
Old 07-29-2017, 02:51 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

With so many getting the smoking package, Porsche must think everyone buying their cars are actual smokers!
Old 07-29-2017, 07:02 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4S
With so many getting the smoking package, Porsche must think everyone buying their cars are actual smokers!
The "ashtray" is tiny and appears to be made of plastic, though I haven't tried it out since I don't smoke. What I find odd is the default is an open cubby. Who wouldn't want a spring loaded cover and an extra 12V outlet?
I imagine they have a pretty good idea that most of those ashtrays don't see any actual ashes.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:18 AM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by GTOWN83
Power is always on and works well for chargers.
Power is not always on if you have Entry and Drive (I do). Took me a while to figure it out when hooking up trickle charger. If your car has entry and drive and has been sitting a while (don't know the exact timer setting) it goes into a sleep mode and disconnects the lighter outlet. Sleep mode has other functions besides shutting off the lighter outlet but I don't know them all. If my charger is plugged in, my car must somehow sense it and does not go into sleep mode, which would shut off the charger connection. The car wakes up if you open a door manually or operate any of the key fob functions. If your car is in sleep mode, you must wake it up to connect the battery to the lighter outlet. Normally this never comes into play, as soon as I park my car I plug in my CTEK, which keeps the car from going into sleep mode. However, if a power outage occurs and my CTEK shuts off long enough, car goes to sleep and does not reconnect until I wake it up. You can replicate this behavior by unplugging your charger at the outlet and let your car goe to sleep. Plug it back in, turn CTEK on, and you will not have a connection until you wake it up (open door manually or with fob). My first two pcars did not exhibit this behavior, but they didn't have entry and drive.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:20 AM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Adding Smokers Package

PCM / PDK Shifter / Console
Like many my car didn’t come with the “Smokers Package” and like many I disliked the hole in the center console. After reading many threads, reaching out to members and calling a number of dealerships no one really understood what is required to have a functioning modification. If you want to add a functioning ashtray two items are required (you may need to verify if your car came with the correct wiring harness to add the smokers package). The odds are you don’t have the correct harness and will need to order one. The OEM harness has four wires at the large male connector which terminates directly below the PCM on the passenger side. The OEM harness has two output plugs: 1) Interior Sensor which is located under the armrest. 2) Armrest 12 VDC power adapter.

Smokers Package Items:
1. Ashtray
2. Wiring Harness (This harness has seven wires at the large male connector).
- This harness has four output plugs: 1) Ashtray lighter & LED light. 2) Interior Sensor. 3) Telephone Mount. 4) Armrest 12 VDC power adapter.

Adding the smokers package is a straight plug and play and does not require reconfiguration. I found the level of difficulty to be a 4 out of 10 because of the delicate work trying not to mar or scratch the finish and leather. This mod took me two hours to remove and document each part while taking plenty of pictures. The assembly went smoothly and quickly without any hiccups.

Female Connector located on passenger side.

Functioning Smokers Package

Documentation

Last edited by Sidvicious7; 01-04-2018 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Add picture
Old 01-04-2018, 01:24 AM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Default More Pictures

Removed items to gain access to replace wiring harness for Smokers Package.

Wiring Harness: Smoker & Non-Smoker

Ashtray

Non-Smoker Harness / Smokers Harness

Last edited by Sidvicious7; 01-04-2018 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Add pictures
Old 01-04-2018, 01:30 AM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by *991*
I thought one was for during the week and the other was for weekends
Friday night was for the wives, but Saturday at the Copa was always for the girlfriends.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:04 AM
Daekwan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread. Bookmarking!
Old 01-04-2018, 03:10 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by GregD
Better yet, a parking brake button that sets when pulled and releases when pushed. Like, I don't know, every other car on earth, or the old manual brake...
>1 year with my 991 and I still can't get it right !
Exactly! But isn't it same everywhere else too, like choosing an option by pushing in multi-function display or even wipers operation reversal to any other car?
Old 01-04-2018, 05:51 PM
Scottish Pete
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you smoke fat cigars in your Porsche . . . it would seem that the open rubber tray would be easier to try to hit knocking off ashes than the optional tiny smoker's package opening with the lid up.

Quick Reply: what is the smoking package