Sponsored by:

2017 991.2 GTS front spoiler lip

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 02:36 PM
tcdeaver
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 991.2 GTS front spoiler lip

I purchased a new 2017 Carrera GTS a month ago. Drove it straight from the Porsche Austin dealership to my detailer to have it clear bar'd. This took two days. The very first time I parked it in the garage the (cheap) black plastic front spoiler lip was ripped off due to the incline of the driveway. Talk about upset, less than 80 miles and already have a problem.

Long story short, a week later when I took it to the dealership I was told the part was back ordered. Since then I relocated to VA Beach VA. My salesman said he would get everything to the Checkered Flag Porsche dealership. Well I just got back from Checkered Flag and they haven't heard anything from Austin.

They send me to the parts department, and according to Don the parts guy per Porsche, the only way the Front spoiler lip comes is premiered. OMG its a black piece of plastic! According to Don it has to be ordered from Germany, wait 3 weeks and when it gets here their going to paint it black to match the rest of the plastic body parts. Are you kidding me???

Does anyone know where I can get a plan black plastic front spoiler lip for my car??
Old 07-21-2017, 02:50 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

From 2 weeks ago. Did you call?

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9984...oiler-lip.html
Old 07-21-2017, 02:54 PM
Benedict14
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by tcdeaver
I purchased a new 2017 Carrera GTS a month ago. Drove it straight from the Porsche Austin dealership to my detailer to have it clear bar'd. This took two days. The very first time I parked it in the garage the (cheap) black plastic front spoiler lip was ripped off due to the incline of the driveway. Talk about upset, less than 80 miles and already have a problem.

Long story short, a week later when I took it to the dealership I was told the part was back ordered. Since then I relocated to VA Beach VA. My salesman said he would get everything to the Checkered Flag Porsche dealership. Well I just got back from Checkered Flag and they haven't heard anything from Austin.

They send me to the parts department, and according to Don the parts guy per Porsche, the only way the Front spoiler lip comes is premiered. OMG its a black piece of plastic! According to Don it has to be ordered from Germany, wait 3 weeks and when it gets here their going to paint it black to match the rest of the plastic body parts. Are you kidding me???

Does anyone know where I can get a plan black plastic front spoiler lip for my car??
I think this is what you're looking for. Call them and check. It's not listed in their GTS section. But it is listed in all of the other 991.2 sections. I think it's the same piece for all Sport front bumpers.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKUG2991SL.html

Luckily you broke the only 'cheap' piece of your car

Edit - Lex posted at the same time. What he said.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:08 PM
tcdeaver
AutoX

I can't find an aftermarket part and according to Porsche (the two parts departments i've spoken to) the replacement is premiered and would have to be painted black to match black plastic. That just doesn't make any sense to me.

I just want what came with the car.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:09 PM
tcdeaver
AutoX

And yes I called
Old 07-21-2017, 03:26 PM
Benedict14
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 149 Posts

Then you're going to have to wait. Remember the old saying - silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:08 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Buy two.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:23 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

This is a vote *for* the Front Axle Lift option that so many people seem to poo poo.
The following users liked this post:
box (09-08-2019)
Old 07-21-2017, 06:25 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,032 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by bwiele
This is a vote *for* the Front Axle Lift option that so many people seem to poo poo.
Or just order a spare lip before your car gets in and wait...you can go through like 6 of them or more for the cost of FAL. Granted if its the driveway ya, that could be a helpful thing ha.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:48 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 178 Posts

So glad you all talked me into FRONT AXLE LIFT!!!
Even though it takes 4-5 replacements before you equal the price of FAL, i'd prefer to never go through that experience.

I was able to add it a few days after Lock Date.
My GTS is still scheduled for 3rd week of October.

OP, sorry about the painful experience you're going through.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:08 AM
XLOR8T
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexVan
Buy two.
+1 I bought two on my 991.1 and my body shop knew that and called me in same situation and agreed to pay for it and still replace my spare when they came in stock. so always good to have a spare. Too cheap not to
Old 02-07-2018, 02:02 AM
pelleran
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tcdeaver

Hi.
I had the same ordeal, with the difference that my spoiler was damaged during the shipment from Germany after I did the European delivery with my new 2018 GTS. My dealership has been going around in circles about this, telling me the same story: get it primed and paint it. I don't want something that does not match the black plastic of the other trims and that looks horrible after few rock chip hits that uncover the white under the black paint. So I got creative and contacted directly the part department at the dealership in Stuttgart, right next door to the factory. Quick reply, very efficient and polite as you would expect from passionate car enthusiasts rather than a bunch of salesmen. Well, here is your part number: 991-505-557-04-OK1. Interestingly enough, these parts are under the 2017 GT3RS (yes I know, nice!) but they all have a "w/o GT3" note in the description. I guess they did not know where to catalogue these special GTS parts...
Hope this helps you and ease off some of that frustration that I have recently developed toward my dealership...
Stefano.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:11 AM
m5biemer
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Another "yes" vote for the FAL. Dealer tried to convince me that it was cheaper to buy the replacement spoilers, as their car didn't have the FAL, so we went out of state to purchase. It takes a lot of pressure off when going in and out of steep driveway entrances. We don't exactly have a lot of hills here but a surprising number of steep access points to houses and commercial locations. I use it daily leaving my office complex. My Boxster GTS hit the ground every time no matter how carefully and slowly I went.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:58 AM
mikex25

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pelleran
Hi.
I had the same ordeal, with the difference that my spoiler was damaged during the shipment from Germany after I did the European delivery with my new 2018 GTS. My dealership has been going around in circles about this, telling me the same story: get it primed and paint it. I don't want something that does not match the black plastic of the other trims and that looks horrible after few rock chip hits that uncover the white under the black paint. So I got creative and contacted directly the part department at the dealership in Stuttgart, right next door to the factory. Quick reply, very efficient and polite as you would expect from passionate car enthusiasts rather than a bunch of salesmen. Well, here is your part number: 991-505-557-04-OK1. Interestingly enough, these parts are under the 2017 GT3RS (yes I know, nice!) but they all have a "w/o GT3" note in the description. I guess they did not know where to catalogue these special GTS parts...
Hope this helps you and ease off some of that frustration that I have recently developed toward my dealership...
Stefano.
Did you actually order that part number? I ask because this was the exact same part number that suncoast accidentally ordered for me, but it was the standard PASM front lip.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:30 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 47 Posts

Last week I had a flat that necessitated a tow to the dealer and the tow company damaged that lip while unloading the car. it’s worth noting that this is a sacraficial body part and I gotta give credit to Porsche for designing it this way rather than damaging the expensive part of the bumper after that incline in your garage. No other car I own, or have owned, is designed this way.

I got the car back the next day with that black plastic lip like new. Several people on this forum asked me how I got it and I said “dunno, the car just showed up with it.” I was talking with the GM at my dealership yesterday and he mentioned that they didn’t have the part in stock so they took one off a new car in inventory and installed it on my car. I guess the reports are true, this is a part that nobody seems to have available right now.

Quick Reply: 2017 991.2 GTS front spoiler lip