Sponsored by:

Key trim

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 04:13 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by digits
Since I ordered too many as an experiment, I've now got an extra gray, silver, and carbon fiberish one that I can either return - or I could just share 'em (it's same amount of effort for me either way).

So... if anyone in the continental U.S. wants one of these - and is comfortable sending me your address in a PM - then do so and I'll drop it in the mail. No charge.
Very generous indeed. The "carbon covering" he is offering is the last production model of 1x1 Twill carbon weave which has a lower strength than the newer 2x2 Twill carbon weave.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2014/09/19/gu...eaves-fabrics/

Carbon enthusiast prefer the 1x1 Twill weave because there is a better connection between the drivers finger and key even though the 2x2 is a stronger, higher performance carbon product.

Some say the 1x1 Twill weave carbon will maintain its market value due to being the last model of its kind with limited production. Others say it will decline in value just as the satin and harness carbon weave. One thing is certain. The performance of the 2x2 Twill weave is unmistakeable. Time will tell if the 1x1 weave will appreciate in value.

My suggestion is just to use your carbon key regardless of weave preference! Your key is meant to be used to LOCK AND UNLOCK! One thing is certain, we can all agree that either carbon weave produces a fine product.

Can't we all just get along regardless of carbon weave preference.

Peace my brothers.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:24 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by digits
Since I ordered too many as an experiment, I've now got an extra gray, silver, and carbon fiberish one that I can either return - or I could just share 'em (it's same amount of effort for me either way).

So... if anyone in the continental U.S. wants one of these - and is comfortable sending me your address in a PM - then do so and I'll drop it in the mail. No charge.
digits...Thank you kind sir! I really appreciate your generosity. I will put my silver fob cover to good use!
Old 08-07-2017, 08:32 PM
shake1
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Cool little mod - I wish there was an option for Dark Metallic Blue.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:24 PM
Sanjuro_Makabe
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Thanks for the suggestion, got the black 3 piece from ebay, fast shipping.
Attached Images  
Old 08-13-2017, 05:45 PM
feh
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Amazon one, lighter than my Agate gray, but looks better than the black pieces.
Attached Images  
Old 08-16-2017, 01:28 AM
shake1
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by shake1
Cool little mod - I wish there was an option for Dark Metallic Blue.
Ended up ordering a white one. Pretty easy to swap out.

Amazon Amazon
Old 08-16-2017, 09:53 AM
Guzzgreg
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
Very generous indeed. The "carbon covering" he is offering is the last production model of 1x1 Twill carbon weave which has a lower strength than the newer 2x2 Twill carbon weave.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2014/09/19/gu...eaves-fabrics/

Carbon enthusiast prefer the 1x1 Twill weave because there is a better connection between the drivers finger and key even though the 2x2 is a stronger, higher performance carbon product.

Some say the 1x1 Twill weave carbon will maintain its market value due to being the last model of its kind with limited production. Others say it will decline in value just as the satin and harness carbon weave. One thing is certain. The performance of the 2x2 Twill weave is unmistakeable. Time will tell if the 1x1 weave will appreciate in value.

My suggestion is just to use your carbon key regardless of weave preference! Your key is meant to be used to LOCK AND UNLOCK! One thing is certain, we can all agree that either carbon weave produces a fine product.

Can't we all just get along regardless of carbon weave preference.

Peace my brothers.

Now THAT was some witty and funny siht.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:29 AM
Yard Dog
Instructor

Obsessing about the color of your key is a sign that you need a hobby.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:51 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Yard Dog
From a man who's socks probably don't match.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:40 PM
Yard Dog
Instructor

Originally Posted by BradB
From a man who's socks probably don't match.
I'm surprised there is someone other than my mother worried about that, but if you have the time, why not? Drive the car and don't worry about the color of the key fob.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:19 AM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Guzzgreg
Now THAT was some witty and funny siht.
Yeah, it was.

Joking aside, though - when you share a pair of keys for two Porsches with your significant other it really helps to keep the colors different. The first time I accidentally grabbed my wife's key and squeezed my knees when I started the car thanks to the seat memory and her genes that ran out of steam at 5 foot 2 - I realized something had to be done.

I don't care as much about the color as I do about the fit and finish of these cheap little key trim kits so I bought all of 'em. I was happy to report that they are all about the same and fit just fine.

BradB: glad you like the silver one!
Old 08-23-2017, 10:01 AM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Does this product change the buttons? Mine are fading.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:22 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,184 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by cmb13
Does this product change the buttons? Mine are fading.
No, but there are fob "shells" sold on ebay where you would be about to swap out the rubber buttons part.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:00 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
No, but there are fob "shells" sold on ebay where you would be about to swap out the rubber buttons part.

Yeah, I got one so I could swap out the Silver button surround on my wife's Macan key. Did it at the same time I put in my grey side trim pieces. Basically, you can get a complete key shell just without the electronics.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:09 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Yard Dog
If you've got keys for more than one Porsche on your key hanger, having some way to differentiate is very practical.

Myself, I took photos of our cars and put them on photo fobs from Zazzle. Also makes it perfectly clear which key is mine if I'm forced to give up a key to a valet. I avoid it when possible, but when I've parked in any of Manhattan's garages, I had to give over because they pack the cars in like sardines and have to be able to move them.

Quick Reply: Key trim