Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 08:04 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts
Default 991.2 Turbo Power & Torque Upgrades

We recently completed a 2nd round of upgrades to a customer's 991.2 Turbo and with the new ECU, I am in total awe of the power of this car. While it was already an impressive car out of the box, now the acceleration is just downright ludicrous. I've gotten knots in my stomach from the passenger seat in some wicked cars but never while driving them! I now know why this thing is at the top of the food chain when it comes to current model Porsches.

The upgrades that were purchased and installed are listed below - these prices do not include S&H, sales tax nor do they include labor.

When I return next week from the next round of Porsche Club racing we will dyno the car but it obviously requires an AWD dyno so we need to take the car to Orlando.

AVAILABLE UPGRADES - EXHAUST
Cargraphic Rear Silencer "X-Pipe" - $1,425.00
Cargraphic 200 Cell Hi-Flow Cats, Without Flaps - $2,525.00
Cargraphic Sport Manifold Set - $1,755.00

AVAILABLE UPGRADES - INTAKE
IPD Competition Plenum Upgrade - $950.00
IPD High Flow Turbo Y-Pipe - $1,250.00
BMC High Flow Intake Air Filters - $225.00

AVAILABLE UPGRADES - TUNING or Turbo
Replacement ECU with Custom Flash - 120hp + (if starting with a non-S turbo) - $5,495.00
BBi Upgraded Intercoolers - $4350

We are currently packaging the upgrades in the aggregate or in the following stages:

Stage I
Rear Silencer "X-Pipe"
BMC High Flow Intake Air Filters

Stage II
200 Cell Hi-Flow Cats, Without Flaps (or Cat Delete)
IPD Competition Plenum
IPD Y-Pipe

Stage III
Replacement ECU with Custom Flash
BBi Intercoolers
Cargraphic Headers

NOTE: The ECU was the missing puzzle piece. This is not a piggyback but a true flash that will maximize the stock Turbo or Turbo S firmware in the vehicle for the accompanying mods and bring a non-S up to S specs. Brought to you by MTO Engineering in Germany who partners with my good friend Jens Ehresmann, these were the first people to delve into the 991/981 tuning and as of right now are the only people that can scratch build an ECU for you overseas and have it working in a car in parallel with the existing ECU (in other words, you get a spare ECU that works with the original keys to the car and maintain the stock ECU to be stored on your desk/shelf, etc). The creator of this mapping supposedly is responsible for some 340 KM/H record in Germany with a 991.2 Turbo with a flash and filters. The makers of the ECU estimate that this car should produce in excess of 650 HP which we will let the dyno prove because I myself now want to see what this thing makes. The makers of the flash think it should be one of the strongest 991.2 Turbos in North America at this point but I haven't kept up with what other shops are doing right now with the new cars so that could just be pure speculation.

It's by far and away the most potent car to ever come through our shop and the owner has had several turbos in the past, with this being the ultimate he says. While this one already exceeded those before the new ECU, afterwards it was a hands down victory. I will try and get him to post a testimonial in the coming days.

Thanks!

John

P.S. I have a video of the car using launch control pre-tune that has a good sound bite but it's not landscape, only portrait; yesterday I learned how much the internet world craps on non-horizontal video! PM me or email me for that please!
Attached Images  

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 07-12-2017 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:26 PM
BOOSTED TTS
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice mods John, would love to play in Mexico if the owner of the car is up to it...

Manuel
Old 07-11-2017, 08:37 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by BOOSTED TTS
Nice mods John, would love to play in Mexico if the owner of the car is up to it...

Manuel
Thank you! I gotta give credit to Wray who handles the retail stuff and makes my life easy and I was lucky to have the working relationship with MTO in Germany in addition to our relationships with Cargraphic & IPD. You should check out MTO's FB page and see their facility.

I will work on the dyno appointment in the meantime. I wish we had a baseline but, and I could be wrong, with this car I get the impression that it's about the total number while maintaining good drivability and not getting any CELs.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:44 AM
Steve Cole
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

I am interested, but I have a Turbo S... so unfortunately, it seems that I am still in the early days of tuner support.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:58 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
I am interested, but I have a Turbo S... so unfortunately, it seems that I am still in the early days of tuner support.
Steve...you are covered my friend! This solution is a modified S file so the massive gains can be attributed to the fact that non-S cars jump to S level power and then S level cars jump even further. Given the hardware similarities among cars, it's plug n play.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:31 PM
Stage7
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Any downtime for the ECU upgrade and is it sellable to another owner in the future if it's sent in to work with their Vin #?
Old 07-12-2017, 02:01 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Stage7
Any downtime for the ECU upgrade and is it sellable to another owner in the future if it's sent in to work with their Vin #?
No downtime, as it is coded with your VIN when it arrives. I do however have to complete the coding process here when it arrives but anyone with current generation factory diag software can do that. To make it work in another car it would have to either go back to Germany or go to the dealership but that would take about an hour's time.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:56 AM
PPFANBOY
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Steve...you are covered my friend! This solution is a modified S file so the massive gains can be attributed to the fact that non-S cars jump to S level power and then S level cars jump even further. Given the hardware similarities among cars, it's plug n play.
But S level power isn't all that much higher than standard Turbo? I think it has 40 HP more than standard turbo.
How is it a 120 HP gain?

Some stats/proof would be nice.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:02 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by PPFANBOY
But S level power isn't all that much higher than standard Turbo? I think it has 40 HP more than standard turbo.
How is it a 120 HP gain?

Some stats/proof would be nice.
Absolutely! I'm quite anxious to get it on the dyno so we can have a true number! As soon as I get back we are gonna run it over the AWD dyno and see what we have. I will also reply to your PM. Thank you.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:57 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Good package. MTO is a knowledgeable bunch of people using a top notch MAHA dyno in their facilities

You can easily get away with the same performance with their ECU and exhaust without changing the intercoolers and save a good sum. They haven't been proven to work anyway.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:01 PM
BOOSTED TTS
Rennlist Member

Hi John, heard you are good friends with my boy Justin from Rennsport One!
Old 07-13-2017, 06:29 PM
JD911
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 49 Posts

What?!? No manual transmission conversion? (This is intended as sarcasm. You guys are doing amazing things!)

Last edited by JD911; 07-14-2017 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:57 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Absolutely! I'm quite anxious to get it on the dyno so we can have a true number! As soon as I get back we are gonna run it over the AWD dyno and see what we have. I will also reply to your PM. Thank you.
While you're at it, have you been able to figure out why the Turbo S goes into limp mode at Daytona? I'll be back there this December, and trying to decide what car to bring. (Backstory: I brought my track prepped 991.2 TTS to Daytona last December, and the car threw ALL KINDS OF CODES and errors due to the banking. BGB kindly cleared out the codes, but we could never figure out why the car goes into freak mode on the banking with any speed at all) I might have to bring my BMW this December instead.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:13 AM
BOOSTED TTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Randyc151
While you're at it, have you been able to figure out why the Turbo S goes into limp mode at Daytona? I'll be back there this December, and trying to decide what car to bring. (Backstory: I brought my track prepped 991.2 TTS to Daytona last December, and the car threw ALL KINDS OF CODES and errors due to the banking. BGB kindly cleared out the codes, but we could never figure out why the car goes into freak mode on the banking with any speed at all) I might have to bring my BMW this December instead.
Hi Randy,

Read a complete review on this forum about this issue. This is more complex than we think, because it has to do with the fact that the car "thinks" it's going to flip or something like that. My tech gave me all the details, but I only remember the main issue which I have just expressed.

Regards,

Manuel
Old 07-15-2017, 01:32 AM
trader247
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Super sweet, love the look of the Cab.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Turbo Power & Torque Upgrades