Critique my build...

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 11:55 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts
Default Critique my build...

PJN5W5L3

Just placed this order in the system today and have a couple weeks before locking in the options. What do you think? What am I missing? What's a waste of money? Still debating the wheels, and the subtle red paint on the interior. Open to any and all comments...
Old 06-13-2017, 12:13 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,203 Likes on 2,715 Posts

Cool build

You ought to make the exterior headlamp washers in either matched color or deviated in black. That's a definite must, IMO.

I would make the seatbacks in leather with deviated stitching.

I have the center console arm rest embossed with the model -- I really like how that turned out.

The painted surrounds on the vents is a gamble. It could look really cool. Personally, I'd do leather vent surrounds with deviated guards red stitching, but I'm a little more conservative.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:25 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Totally agree on the painted vent surrounds. If they look cheesey, I'm hoping they are fairly simple to swap out at the parts counter??? It does have extended red deviating stitching, though that doesn't show up on the rendering. Appreciate the input for sure.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:25 AM
js9527
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice build, are you planning to change the wheels? And i would save the $500 OEM painted key case, unless you want the leather pouch. You can get the painted parts online for like 20 bucks.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:08 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Totally agree on the painted vent surrounds. If they look cheesey, I'm hoping they are fairly simple to swap out at the parts counter??? It does have extended red deviating stitching, though that doesn't show up on the rendering. Appreciate the input for sure.
I believe the vent surrounds are integrated into the vent itself. The vent removes with a simple screwdriver/dash vent remove tool. No big deal. You may want to check with service, but I don't think it's a big production to change them, but the cost of the parts is not probably not insignificant.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:25 AM
JW1
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Tom,

Nice build. How do you feel about a different color seatbelt and the tinted tail lights to compliment the black headlights? Also the inner doorsill guards in leather would add a nice finishing touch. If you decide to keep those wheels, how about option it in black?

John

Last edited by JW1; 06-13-2017 at 09:13 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:31 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JW1
Hi Tom,

Nice build. How do you feel about a different color seatbelt and the tinted tail lights to compliment the black headlights? Also the inner doorsill guards in leather would add a nice finishing touch. If you decide to keep those wheels, how about option it in black?

John
I'm still waffling on the wheels, including maybe painting them black. I also didn't realize the Turbo S wheels were centerlocks, whereas the sport classics are standard lugs. Need to mull that a bit. Would really like to see silver sport classics on a red 991, but am coming up short locally. I didn't really get the rear tinted tail light option. That just makes them darker when not lit?

Inner door sills in leather and colored seatbelts -- seems like they'd show wear pretty fast, no?
Old 06-14-2017, 02:19 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

I'm thinking of doing leather with red stitching instead of the paint around the air vents. I assume the leather vent option plus extended deviated stitching option will result in this (right?), but will confirm with the dealer...
Attached Images  
Old 06-14-2017, 08:06 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

I'm thinking of doing leather with red stitching instead of the paint around the air vents. I assume the leather vent option plus extended deviated stitching option will result in this (right?), but will confirm with the dealer...
Good choice. That should work.

Definitely do the rear center tunnel in deviated stitch. That makes a surprisingly huge visual impact. I was on the fence about doing and I'm so glad that I did.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:32 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

I'm still waffling on the wheels, including maybe painting them black.
Or do the factory option of black-painted Classics. That's what I did. I love it. (Pictures in link behind '991TT' in my signature block.)

Suggest you try the configurator with that option in conjunction with the Window Trim in Aluminum (High-Gloss) option.

Last, I do not have Porsche Entry and Drive on the 991. I do have it on the 95B. *I* would not pay for this option.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:11 PM
Stage7
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
Good choice. That should work.

Definitely do the rear center tunnel in deviated stitch. That makes a surprisingly huge visual impact. I was on the fence about doing and I'm so glad that I did.
I agree, I love mine.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:53 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Anyone have a picture of the rear center tunnel in deviated stitching? Sounded like a bad seat thing I'd never notice, but sounds like I'm missing something.

worf: right, I meant the factory black wheel option -- not planning to paint them myself. Yours looks great...
Old 06-14-2017, 05:34 PM
EXCLUSIVE OPTION
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone have a picture of the rear center tunnel in deviated stitching? Sounded like a bad seat thing I'd never notice, but sounds like I'm missing something.

worf: right, I meant the factory black wheel option -- not planning to paint them myself. Yours looks great...
Hi Tom,
There are many pieces which can be done in leather or Alcantara which we an offer. From view the picture above, the Airbag trim is in plastic and we can provide a piece in full leather. Also appears the door handle insert (plastic spear piece behind door handle) is also available in OEM leather with deviated or matching stitching.

PM if you would like more info, and I can send you some pictures such as the leather rear tunnel tray mentioned in the above post.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:28 PM
wassy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still waffling on the wheels, including maybe painting them black. I also didn't realize the Turbo S wheels were centerlocks, whereas the sport classics are standard lugs. Need to mull that a bit. Would really like to see silver sport classics on a red 991, but am coming up short locally. I didn't really get the rear tinted tail light option. That just makes them darker when not lit?

Inner door sills in leather and colored seatbelts -- seems like they'd show wear pretty fast, no?
I have an incoming 18 TTS due Sep 1. Ordered in chalk and I’ve only seen chalk on a 911 on recent gt3 pics. And With black turbo s wheels. So I’m kind of liking black turbo s wheels on chalk. I spoke with exclusive and believe it or not, Its a custom option, even though they are a FREE option in a 911 gts.

$6000. No ****. That was Porsche’s cost for that. So I started looking for a low mileage set of BBS FI-r. Prefer not to have to spend the extra on wheels so I’m hoping the standard turbo s rims still do the car justice. Personally, I’m not a fan of the classic wheels for me even though they look great. I also like the centerlock concept and look.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:09 PM
JW1
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Wassy,

The dealer I ordered my car from gave me an alternative to the $6K cost of ordering the black painted turbo or turbo S CL wheels straight from the factory. The alternative was that the dealer would have the wheels powder coated locally at a cost of around $1.5K. You may be able to do the same through your dealer with the stock turbo S wheels instead of buying a whole new set. Stock turbo S wheels in black looks pretty amazing.

John

Originally Posted by wassy
I have an incoming 18 TTS due Sep 1. Ordered in chalk and I’ve only seen chalk on a 911 on recent gt3 pics. And With black turbo s wheels. So I’m kind of liking black turbo s wheels on chalk. I spoke with exclusive and believe it or not, Its a custom option, even though they are a FREE option in a 911 gts.

$6000. No ****. That was Porsche’s cost for that. So I started looking for a low mileage set of BBS FI-r. Prefer not to have to spend the extra on wheels so I’m hoping the standard turbo s rims still do the car justice. Personally, I’m not a fan of the classic wheels for me even though they look great. I also like the centerlock concept and look.

Quick Reply: Critique my build...