Sponsored by: Road Spy

911.1 TTs - tune it or not?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 07:38 PM
kart driver
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 50 Posts
Default 911.1 TTs - tune it or not?

The question is as simple as that: tune it or not? )))

Is there any successful experience when 911.1 TTS had a non-factory power increase st.1 or st.2 so that after the tune, a car remained at the same predictable level of handling and balance?

In other words does anybody still enjoy good balance of the car at the race track after noticeable power increase by any tune? And if so I presume that your lap time improved as well.

The worry that I have is that some people say, that the balance of a car is gone after the power increase is done and thus it is getting impossible to perfectly control a car on a race track a d as a result the lap time is getting worse.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience on the above.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:44 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Sam will let you do a free trial to see if you like it.

I recently did a trial on a Cobb tuned car (not with Sam but with a friend) and decided I didn't like the tune. You will notice the improvement in power with the tune, but I also felt the untuned engine feels much smoother.

As for power delivery, Cobb has 2 versions of their tune. One with a stock boost response, and one with an aggressive boost response. The former maintains a similar throttle map to the OEM setup so you it will have similar drivability and predictability. With the Aggressive Boost Response the tune is more evident, but the power comes on very quickly and I think that would make it harder to drive on a track or street circuit.

Most people prefer the tuned engine. I am an exception. I like how smooth the engine runs in its OEM state, and I also prefer my warranty intact.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:59 PM
kart driver
Racer

The reality is that straight line acceleration roll-on 911 tts is far from being a fast car at all.

M3 e92 supercharged shows the same dynamics 100-200 km/hour as 911.1 tts and 100-300 911 is a bit slower.
An m5 with a light tune will have the same roll-on accelerations.

I can't say this means a lot to me, but there is some unpleasant feeling about it ))))
Old 05-22-2017, 08:07 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I have tuned my 991.1 TTS through every stage of tune from tune and exhaust to upgraded intercoolers to the turbo upgrade.

The car has always remained balanced and OEM smooth. The only difference is the amount of boost if you hit the gas pedal really hard. My turbo upgrade is a VTG upgrades with maintains the same level of precise power delivery as stock.

Last edited by sdg1871; 05-22-2017 at 10:49 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:33 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 917 Likes on 560 Posts

Cheers guys. Feel free to reach out I would be glad to set you up and make sure you're happy with it or take it back. There are different bus response options in the tuning as well as pretty much every octane level available. Besides that we have the ability to custom tailor the power curve delivery response and everything to your liking. I've got some guys that do autocross that are very happy with this capability. At the same time I have not experienced people being upset or not happy with the way the car delivers power on the track. I guess the main thing is that it's adjustable. You may have heard this because generally many of the upgrades produce lots of torque. I could provide you a map that would bring that and much more smooth and naturally aspirated feeling.

Please excuse any typos doing a few things at once but I'm here for you if I can help

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 05-22-2017, 10:24 PM
Nanook
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

And the nice thing about the Cobb (Which I have from Sambo) is that you can return your tune to stock or any other tune in about 20 seconds
Old 05-23-2017, 02:57 PM
MLB991TTS
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Tune it you will be happy quite a bit faster at the track, the brakes still will not be over powered, just dont keep the crap stock tires on use dunlop maxx, trofeo R's or cup II's
Old 05-23-2017, 03:12 PM
longboarder
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 61 Posts

If you want OEM feel then the GIAC tune is the way to go. Partial throttle, daily driving, etc it's just like stock. Going WOT it's similarly very linear just a lot more. How much more? mid-6 seconds 60-130 tune only. Haven't heard of any other tune coming close. I even took it to an airstrip event and ran some stage 3 991's to prove how fast it was.

Buy through Champion and they even provide an umbrella warranty on the factory warranty. Who else would ever do that??
Old 05-23-2017, 04:48 PM
kart driver
Racer

Originally Posted by MLB991TTS
Tune it you will be happy quite a bit faster at the track, the brakes still will not be over powered, just dont keep the crap stock tires on use dunlop maxx, trofeo R's or cup II's
Cup2 is already in place. In fact it has been on all of my 3 cars since last spring as a daily drive. I use cup2 for the wars season until september and then change to supersport or mps4s until snow is on the streets.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:50 PM
kart driver
Racer

Originally Posted by longboarder
If you want OEM feel then the GIAC tune is the way to go. Partial throttle, daily driving, etc it's just like stock. Going WOT it's similarly very linear just a lot more. How much more? mid-6 seconds 60-130 tune only. Haven't heard of any other tune coming close. I even took it to an airstrip event and ran some stage 3 991's to prove how fast it was.

Buy through Champion and they even provide an umbrella warranty on the factory warranty. Who else would ever do that??

Sonds very attractive! Do they have a dealer in Europe providing the warranty?
Old 05-23-2017, 06:26 PM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts

i have a cobb tune on my car and love it, highly recommended
Old 05-24-2017, 12:28 AM
longboarder
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by kart driver
Sonds very attractive! Do they have a dealer in Europe providing the warranty?
They do have a network in Europe. Best way to find out more is to call Tom P. at Champion Motorsports. You can buy the tune from him and Tom will set you up with an install location and warranty information.

Cheers.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:24 AM
kart driver
Racer

Originally Posted by longboarder
They do have a network in Europe. Best way to find out more is to call Tom P. at Champion Motorsports. You can buy the tune from him and Tom will set you up with an install location and warranty information.

Cheers.
Tried to search it here and found no email address.

http://www.championmotorsport.com/Articles.asp?ID=146

Update:
Sorry, too late. I am already doing it with Sam ))))

Last edited by kart driver; 05-24-2017 at 05:05 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:45 AM
Steve Cole
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

It's partial throttle that I am most interested in. My S4 (supercharged) had more partial throttle power, mostly because of the throttle mapping and not the engine. Mind you, I don't want to have bizarre amounts of power at partial throttle either... lol
Old 05-24-2017, 10:57 AM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 682 Likes on 376 Posts

Love my Cobb tune. Full flexibility with Sam, Easy to switch between the numerous tunes to get the car to your liking. 2 minutes to remove tune or change the tune. Best customer service in the business hands down.

Give Sam a call, he will ensure you are happy.

Quick Reply: 911.1 TTs - tune it or not?