Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

2016 991.1 Turbo S to a 991.2 turbo S or new panamera?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 02:16 PM
wassy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2016 991.1 Turbo S to a 991.2 turbo S or new panamera?

Oy! The dilemma. I'd have to wait quite a bit for a new 2028 991.2 turbo s, in fact can't find a slot but I did get a great deal if I can wait. 7% off. A little more if I take his last 2017 turbo s slot but it's a cabrio and I'm prefer the coupe.

I drove the panamera turbo yesterday and have owned 3 prior. Nice car. Outside is an improvement but still to me, nothing striking looking. The interior is the bomb. A little too plastic though in areas. Smooth, quiet but drove well. Not at all a 911. Different but nice. Tough to drive that after the 911.

I'm thinking maybe to even buy a panamera while I wait for the 991.2 TTS but I'm afraid I'll take a bath. However despite no one getting any real discounts on a new pana, I can get 7% right now and maybe 8% possibly. Still take a bath in 6 months I think.

I know a few people switched to a panamera and are happy. My wife's 911 c4s lease is due soon and I'm trying to convince her to do a gts. She's a cabrio gal.

I'm so darn confused. First choice is a 991.2 turbo s 2018 butnwould "settle" for a 2017 used or new.

Feedback? Opinions? Suggestions?
Old 04-23-2017, 02:20 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 684 Likes on 377 Posts

Don't buy a "bridge" car you will take a bath regardless of Panny or Turbo. Get the 17 unless you don't like it then just wait for the 18.

You will get a 17 Panny used, low miles next year for $.75 on the dollar easy, the Turbo won't be any better. The first 6 months to a year are the worst for the Turbo depreciation.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:24 PM
wassy
Rennlist Member

So you thinks 1 year old 911 turbo s loses 25% of msrp in first year? I'm definitely not seeing that on used 991.2 turbo S's. Yet. This car has ruined me. I don't really want an exotic or mclaren type as I use em daily and don't want to worry too much about miles (7500 +/-). I do have a 17 raptor I can drive as I do and man, the hold some value

I have no problem buying a low mileage used 17 turbo s but haven't seen any and. One really under about $185k. Sure I can offer lower and have but nobody budging. Very very few out there. New or used.

I'll keep looking.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:05 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

What do you want out of it?

And why trade the 16, just want a change for change's sake?
Old 04-23-2017, 07:42 PM
wassy
Rennlist Member

@ace37. Yeah. Pretty much. I like the new pcm (over mine), and believe it or not, the steering wheel. Plus I heard it drove a bit smoother, not that mine is bad
Old 04-23-2017, 09:19 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by wassy
@ace37. Yeah. Pretty much. I like the new pcm (over mine), and believe it or not, the steering wheel. Plus I heard it drove a bit smoother, not that mine is bad
Well of the two I'd go with the TTS - assuming it's what you want, that's the one to go for. Both are great cars so you'll probably be happy either way. Also, the Panamera does typically offer a better interior and is a lot more of a different car from your '16, so in a sense it would be the more different and therefore better answer to being bored.

That said, in your shoes I'd go very different - if the problem is you're bored, don't get the same thing. Throw a deposit down for the first 992 TTS that hits the streets in 3-5 years when the major upgrades come, and spend the saved depreciation on some fun toys you wouldn't have bought. RZRs, speedboats, snowmobiles, race cars, and dirt bikes can all be a hoot. Paying to attend race schools in race cars or do tours on the other side of the world in exotic machines are also fun options... and maybe something out of gears altogether. The point I'm trying to make is perhaps putting the money into having more fun in your leisure time would give you more pleasure than a better PCM on the way to work in an otherwise very similar and excellent machine. Yes the incremental upgrade is an upgrade, it's real and genuine and so forth, but your fun money does the most good when it buys new and unique experiences - I'd expect the spend to produce a smaller yield when it purchases incremental enhancements to an already very good standard of living at a high premium.

If it's less about boredom and having the best and coolest car you can is a bigger part of the issue, get in line right away for a GT2 or GT2RS and get one so you can be done with it for a while - they won't one-up that car right after the 992 Carrera comes out, so you'll be inclined to keep it longer and be happier with it. Or just lease the TTS this time around to force yourself to keep it a bit longer and lose less!
Old 04-23-2017, 10:57 PM
wassy
Rennlist Member

Wow. What a great response. I hear you. I am retired and yes a bit bored. I generally don't keep cars longer then 6 months because of that. Any car. I kept the TTS over a year now and yes I love it. It's exhilarating and I drive like grandma to the supermarket and back. Lol l. Some of it is knowing this is one badass machine but most is the handling. It really is well done. My wife has a cabrio and it's fun but it's not a TTS. I Guess you can say I love my cars or I try to anyway. The panamera is nice, it is new and modern and loaded with tech which I like but when I think about spending $180 on that vs $25k more for a 991.2 TTS, it RS isn't so much the difference out of my pocket but whether the pana is really worth that. To me or practically speaking. It doesn't hold the same appeal to me and probably most people. I have my toys, not necessarily the ones you mention but I'm always buying toys that make me smile. For a moment. ��

Tr money is important, yes, and I while I can handle cars at this level (not much more), I have to be somewhat practical such as perhaps finding a deal on a just slightly used current year, giving up an option or two that I might want but isn't a must do. Sometimes I just can't get what is like and I'm ok with that.

I think at this point my preference is definitively a 2018 TTS. That's if I can find a slot at the deals I'm being offered in a reasonable one frame. I am hoping to expect more 2018 allocations to hit dealers soon. If I am unable to secure one, then I will most probably grab a pana and maybe a 4s if I can justify it's only a power difference beteeen the two but I suspect the turbo also drives and handles better. Anyone? I'll come to realize that by the time I ended up with a 991.2, I'd nearly be into a 992.

You mentioned 3-4 years for the 992? I thought it was a 2019 model and this time next year? And if that is the case, maybe an 18 991.2 with completely new model a few months later isn't the smartest thing to do either, depreciation wise. I think too much! Lol.

Thanks again.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:56 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Hi Wassy - IMHO, if you are bored with retirement, and a new toy / car only provides temporary relief, the
cure is not to pop more short-lived relief but to find new challenges. Having sold my business decades ago,
I too am now blessed with that rarest and most valuable asset of all - TIME!!!!!!
A whole world of challenges beckons out there. Love cars? Learn to drive them at speed on the track.
Love to travel? Learn to fly your own airplane to take you there. Love music? Learn to play a musical instrument well. Love to write? Write and publish that book you always wanted to! Love politics? Become an activist and work to leave your kids and grandkids a better world to live in!!! I've done all those things in my "retirement" and I am NEVER bored - So many challenges and so much to learn - just wish I had more years ahead of me to learn them and become better at them.
With regard to temporary car choices, to avoid losing your A$$ on them, consider the great used cars out there, including Panameras, on which the depreciation has already been taken and won't cost much to own - a quick fix, but only a short-time high. Permanent Bliss can only be found from within.
firstworldflight.com
Old 04-24-2017, 05:03 PM
wassy
Rennlist Member

Thanks buddy. Actually you are all spot in. When I say bored, I don't mean it literally. I keep busy doing good things. Not all of the ones you all mention but many. It's cars I get bored of. It's a problem and in very aware of it. Doesn't matter what it is. Always want the newer and better looks and tech. So after 3 gen 1 panameras (yes I liked them a lot), I'd want a 17/18 which I think the interior is just awesome (mostly).

I still can't seem to get an answer on when the 992 is coming especially in turbo S form.
I looked at a new R8 today at my son's suggestion. Great reviews, I'm sure it drives great but not for me. I'd consider a California T even though I'm not a convertible guy but I just don't know if I want to go that route. I had an 09 quattroporte S and in the very very very short time I had it and hated it, I learned a lot about my local Ferrari service department and mostly that they don't give a crap.

Hey guys, thanks for the banter. Much appreciated. Keep up the great info on these boards.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:09 PM
NelsonF
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm familiar with your situation and suffer the same in retirement. Have you checked out McLaren? If you have one nearby, if you have a dealership nearby it might be worth a look. I did and was favorably impressed.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:26 AM
wassy
Rennlist Member

Yes. Great looking and great driving. Too hard to get in and out of for a daily!
Old 04-25-2017, 02:22 AM
medici78
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Buy a CPO '17 991.2 TTS. Someone else has taken the biggest hit and it will be easier to get out of thanks to the 100k mile warranty. They're scarce but they're out there.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:54 AM
wassy
Rennlist Member

I'd be happy to. As you said, scarce. And prices I've seen, I can do better new.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:38 AM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wassy
Thanks buddy. Actually you are all spot in. When I say bored, I don't mean it literally. I keep busy doing good things. Not all of the ones you all mention but many. It's cars I get bored of. It's a problem and in very aware of it. Doesn't matter what it is. Always want the newer and better looks and tech. So after 3 gen 1 panameras (yes I liked them a lot), I'd want a 17/18 which I think the interior is just awesome (mostly).

I still can't seem to get an answer on when the 992 is coming especially in turbo S form.
I looked at a new R8 today at my son's suggestion. Great reviews, I'm sure it drives great but not for me. I'd consider a California T even though I'm not a convertible guy but I just don't know if I want to go that route. I had an 09 quattroporte S and in the very very very short time I had it and hated it, I learned a lot about my local Ferrari service department and mostly that they don't give a crap.

Hey guys, thanks for the banter. Much appreciated. Keep up the great info on these boards.
If you are getting bored with your cars and have never owned a Ferrari than I highly recommend that route. My Porsche's are routinely ignored while my Ferrari came with a whole set of affluent friends with a zest for life. Although if I had bought a California T they wouldn't talk to me - trust me on that. Check out a 458, if that doesn't get your blood pumping, nothing will.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:06 PM
wassy
Rennlist Member

Lol. My son just recommended a 488 but I don't have those kind of dollars. A cali T is in my range and it's a nice car but I do get your point.

Given the deal I was offered on a new panamera turbo I may go that route as a bridge car. Actively looking and ready to sign whatever it may be.

Quick Reply: 2016 991.1 Turbo S to a 991.2 turbo S or new panamera?