Exhaust review - Kline for 15 991TT Cab

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 08:48 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 684 Likes on 377 Posts
Default Exhaust review - Kline for 15 991TT Cab

Time for another review.

A little history lesson. If you don't like history drop down to the review portion. This is my third and final exhaust to try on my car.

Sam was the first person I called based on this forum when I first bought my car. He was amazing and filled my brain with all sorts of facts. When I started out these were my needs (from the first review)

Background and needs - First and foremost I shopped around a long time. I spent lots of time on the forums getting what research done I could. Listened to lots of thoughts and feedback from many. The first thing I will share is what my needs were and what I was looking for.
  1. Good looking quad tips. I can't stand the stock chrome tips and I needed good looking replacements.
  2. Sound change. In "wife mode" I needed it to sound as close to stock as possible so that when out for a fun drive with the top down and radio on we could still carry on a conversation. When in Sport or Sport Plus it needed to sound like a real sports car of its caliber.
  3. Performance - certainly some performance gains and the ability to keep adding on and upgrading compatibility. Weight savings as well. This really become a non-issue as I felt all claimed some HP increase and varying data.
  4. Affordability - it had to be somewhat (relative) affordable as this was really a looks and sound play for me.

Well I didn't go with Kline at the time. Main reason was the tips. I really wanted aftermarket tips. Funny thing is Sam stayed in touch. We talked throughout my journey. Always wishing me the best, answering questions and helping out when he could. I didn't even spend a dollar with him.

Fast forward a few years and two exhaust systems. After going back to stock and driving the car for a while it was time to jump back in. One priority changed throughout this whole journey. I realized how much I liked the stock tips. It wasn't the tips I didn't like it was the chrome. I had the stock tips powder coated by my good friend Mel at McKenna and really enjoyed the look. Now that it was time to jump in the one thing stopping me was no longer a barrier. So I rang Sam. A couple weeks later here we are. I bought this exhaust from him.

http://www.kline-innovation.com/exha...1-2/991-turbo/

In the car went to my trusted and favorite service manager Mel at McKenna (dealer only for me as I won't share the horror stories publicly of other places touching my car) after a few hours it was out of surgery.

Now on to the review

This is going to be it. Sorry for no install pics as I was not present but you can see a few finished photos.

Why you say.

Fit and finish
  1. Amazing quality
  2. Installer stated one of the easiest to do
  3. Everything goes together perfect with the stock tips.
The sound - really the main reason for me
  1. It is perfect. At start up it is a little louder than stock
  2. In "wife" mode you can barely tell the difference. Maybe on decel it has a little louder burbles.
  3. Sport/+ mode holy nuts it is perfect. It is mellow at low RPM's, nice grunt. At 3,500 it starts sounding more like a GT3 or other NA exotic and at WOT it is just a beast.
  4. On decel in Sport/+ it is a great sound as well. You start to get a few pops and higher pitch burbles, really sounds good but not obnoxious.

Performance - I did the catless version
  1. Low end snappyness (nice make up word) is very exhanced.
  2. Mid range seems to not have any lag when getting into the boost
  3. High RPM's it is just hell on wheels.

All this is done on a basic tune to remove the CEL. I do not know if I would get them but assume I would as no cats so we tuned them out. I do have a more aggressive tune to try but this is about the exhaust.

All I can say is FOR ME this is the right exhaust marriage. Finally becoming a customer of Sam has been a journey and I highly recommend anyone that wants to deal with such a professional with by far, guaranteed 100% the best customer service and reaction time of returning calls, Sam is the man. Hope you enjoy the review.
Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  193.8 KB

Name:  exhaust.jpg
Views: 931
Size:  152.5 KB

Name:  tip.jpg
Views: 974
Size:  186.2 KB
The following 2 users liked this post by goin2drt:
KaseyT (07-29-2020), Redlinerobert (08-02-2020)
Old 03-25-2017, 04:28 PM
trader247
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Great exhaust and review. My sentiments exactly. I too have Kline from Sam on my Cab and with top down is very docile during easy driving. But, get on it and I just start to smile
Old 03-26-2017, 08:26 PM
js9527
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

What basic tune are you getting?
Old 03-27-2017, 10:04 AM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 684 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by js9527
What basic tune are you getting?
Cobb AP
Old 03-27-2017, 01:20 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 918 Likes on 560 Posts

Thanks for that awesome review T! It was my pleasure to help out anyway I could and I'm honestly just really happy and honored that we were able to get you to the place you're happy with a By Design/Kline system. Mel was ready for anything but I was also very pleased to hear his praise on the system as a whole plus make another new friend! Let me know how the two Maps feel and if you need anything.

Thanks C!

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 07-29-2020, 05:46 PM
KaseyT
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Material Type Pu

Originally Posted by goin2drt
Time for another review.

A little history lesson. If you don't like history drop down to the review portion. This is my third and final exhaust to try on my car.

Sam was the first person I called based on this forum when I first bought my car. He was amazing and filled my brain with all sorts of facts. When I started out these were my needs (from the first review)

Background and needs - First and foremost I shopped around a long time. I spent lots of time on the forums getting what research done I could. Listened to lots of thoughts and feedback from many. The first thing I will share is what my needs were and what I was looking for.
  1. Good looking quad tips. I can't stand the stock chrome tips and I needed good looking replacements.
  2. Sound change. In "wife mode" I needed it to sound as close to stock as possible so that when out for a fun drive with the top down and radio on we could still carry on a conversation. When in Sport or Sport Plus it needed to sound like a real sports car of its caliber.
  3. Performance - certainly some performance gains and the ability to keep adding on and upgrading compatibility. Weight savings as well. This really become a non-issue as I felt all claimed some HP increase and varying data.
  4. Affordability - it had to be somewhat (relative) affordable as this was really a looks and sound play for me.

Well I didn't go with Kline at the time. Main reason was the tips. I really wanted aftermarket tips. Funny thing is Sam stayed in touch. We talked throughout my journey. Always wishing me the best, answering questions and helping out when he could. I didn't even spend a dollar with him.

Fast forward a few years and two exhaust systems. After going back to stock and driving the car for a while it was time to jump back in. One priority changed throughout this whole journey. I realized how much I liked the stock tips. It wasn't the tips I didn't like it was the chrome. I had the stock tips powder coated by my good friend Mel at McKenna and really enjoyed the look. Now that it was time to jump in the one thing stopping me was no longer a barrier. So I rang Sam. A couple weeks later here we are. I bought this exhaust from him.

http://www.kline-innovation.com/exha...1-2/991-turbo/

In the car went to my trusted and favorite service manager Mel at McKenna (dealer only for me as I won't share the horror stories publicly of other places touching my car) after a few hours it was out of surgery.

Now on to the review

This is going to be it. Sorry for no install pics as I was not present but you can see a few finished photos.

Why you say.

Fit and finish
  1. Amazing quality
  2. Installer stated one of the easiest to do
  3. Everything goes together perfect with the stock tips.
The sound - really the main reason for me
  1. It is perfect. At start up it is a little louder than stock
  2. In "wife" mode you can barely tell the difference. Maybe on decel it has a little louder burbles.
  3. Sport/+ mode holy nuts it is perfect. It is mellow at low RPM's, nice grunt. At 3,500 it starts sounding more like a GT3 or other NA exotic and at WOT it is just a beast.
  4. On decel in Sport/+ it is a great sound as well. You start to get a few pops and higher pitch burbles, really sounds good but not obnoxious.

Performance - I did the catless version
  1. Low end snappyness (nice make up word) is very exhanced.
  2. Mid range seems to not have any lag when getting into the boost
  3. High RPM's it is just hell on wheels.

All this is done on a basic tune to remove the CEL. I do not know if I would get them but assume I would as no cats so we tuned them out. I do have a more aggressive tune to try but this is about the exhaust.

All I can say is FOR ME this is the right exhaust marriage. Finally becoming a customer of Sam has been a journey and I highly recommend anyone that wants to deal with such a professional with by far, guaranteed 100% the best customer service and reaction time of returning calls, Sam is the man. Hope you enjoy the review.
Attachment 1148359

Attachment 1148360

Attachment 1148361
I’m interested in this system and been talking with Sam. What material did you go with Stainless Steel or Inconel? The Inconel is quite a bit more expensive and not sure I can justify the added cost!

Thanks,
Geoff
Old 07-30-2020, 08:10 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 752 Likes on 473 Posts

Kline headers, Kline exhaust with 100 cells cats from Sam, they sound great for sure
Old 07-30-2020, 09:52 AM
KaseyT
Track Day

Originally Posted by hcvone
Kline headers, Kline exhaust with 100 cells cats from Sam, they sound great for sure
Thank you....SS or Inconel?
Old 08-01-2020, 10:21 PM
YetiRojo
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by KaseyT
Thank you....SS or Inconel?
I have SS catless (stock headers) and this review 100% captures my sentiments.

I’ve read that the inconel has a slightly higher pitch than the stainless, but I haven’t heard it 1st hand.

FWIW, when I was at the Rennsport Dragon Rally in June with 100 other Porsches I had several people come up and ask about my exhaust, and tell me that they thought it was the best sounding car there.
The following users liked this post:
KaseyT (08-02-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 12:19 AM
KaseyT
Track Day

Originally Posted by YetiRojo
I have SS catless (stock headers) and this review 100% captures my sentiments.

I’ve read that the inconel has a slightly higher pitch than the stainless, but I haven’t heard it 1st hand.

FWIW, when I was at the Rennsport Dragon Rally in June with 100 other Porsches I had several people come up and ask about my exhaust, and tell me that they thought it was the best sounding car there.
Thanks for your input and it's encouraging to hear. Trying to make a decision based on videos of cars that are all a little (or a lot) different is beyond tough. I've also had varying opinions from dealers.

I was sent 2 videos of similar cars - one with SS and the other Inconel - but I wasn't told which was which. I was asked to listen and try to figure it out. Well, interestingly, I thought the SS sounded better (and I thought it was the Inconel). But again, trying to compare using videos is just not easy and not the best way to choose. I appreciate everyone weighing in with their thoughts!!

Quick Reply: Exhaust review - Kline for 15 991TT Cab