Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

What kind of insurance are you guys using?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 11:40 AM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Retired Insurance Broker following this thread for future comment. My specialization was Porsche oriented businesses and Porsche drivers. 50 years gave me a bit of insight. See a claim on the left. My own car.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:54 PM
GTThre
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pure is another high end company and definitely looking for higher income bracket and high value homes and cars.

GEICO warranties the parts for life? That is great if you don't care that you do not have OEM parts on your high end car. The reason they are less expensive, is because they are not of the same quality. If the shop can get you OEM parts, that is great. However, a high end car deserves a high end insurance company who will take care of you when you need it the most. I for one do not want aftermarket parts on my car. I paid to much money for the car to let the insurance company dictate the terms and the way they want to repair it.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:34 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,159 Likes on 573 Posts

Interesting comments on GEICO. I have them for the GT3 I keep in the USA. When I ripped off the front bumper on a pile of dirt, I drove the car to my race shop and GEICO just paid their invoice, which included all OEM parts and redo of clear bra and alignment just in case. And when later when I noticed that one caliper got scratched by a small rock in that accident, GEICO adjuster said don't bother repainting, because it will not be the same and they just added a new caliper to the claim. Repaired to better than new and no worries at all. Don't know if that typical or just got lucky.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:07 AM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by GTThre
Pure is another high end company and definitely looking for higher income bracket and high value homes and cars.

GEICO warranties the parts for life? That is great if you don't care that you do not have OEM parts on your high end car. The reason they are less expensive, is because they are not of the same quality. If the shop can get you OEM parts, that is great. However, a high end car deserves a high end insurance company who will take care of you when you need it the most. I for one do not want aftermarket parts on my car. I paid to much money for the car to let the insurance company dictate the terms and the way they want to repair it.
Hate to break it to you but GEICO also allows you to use a Porsche-certified body shop and exclusively OEM parts.

I went through a claim on my BMW M5 and also previously on a Jag. In both instances GEICO red carpeted the claim. factory certified body shops (of my choice - is they let you take it wherever you want), and brand new OEM parts. Plus they paid out the diminished value based on the estimate by my expert without any hassle. On my M5 which was rear ended, only needed new bumper and new shock absorber pad, after perfect restoration, they paid out $8000 in diminished value. That seems like a pretty perfect claim process to me.

So tell me how does PURE beat that? I will answer the question for you. The difference is the some unscrupulous GEICO adjusters will spend 30 seconds pitching you on their own bodyshop instead of the factory-certified one because they will guarantee repairs for life, but the adjuster also told me that he would recommend taking a high end BMW to a BMW certified shop which will warranty the repairs itself backed by BMW. He even gave me his rating of the BMW shops based on which ones typically needed less rework on the paint. I vetted it with the M5 forum and he was right about the Better BMW certified shop (basically my local BMW dealer). So really there is no material difference at all.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:09 AM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Interesting comments on GEICO. I have them for the GT3 I keep in the USA. When I ripped off the front bumper on a pile of dirt, I drove the car to my race shop and GEICO just paid their invoice, which included all OEM parts and redo of clear bra and alignment just in case. And when later when I noticed that one caliper got scratched by a small rock in that accident, GEICO adjuster said don't bother repainting, because it will not be the same and they just added a new caliper to the claim. Repaired to better than new and no worries at all. Don't know if that typical or just got lucky.
See above, my experience is the same.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:39 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

I have Allstate, and they were one of the few normal insurance companies that would cover the TTS. I have never had a claim on any of "my" cars, but my kids have torn up a couple of cars and Allstate paid the repair bill directly with no fuss or big hikes. I'm very happy with them.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:31 AM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

I have liberty mutual.....first thing I ask if they would fix my car back to factory spec if something happen and they told me yes. So Porsche factory spec is new parts only. also the car is insured for 65K thats 10K more then I got it for.

Rate is also pretty good for a younger male driver
Old 03-11-2017, 09:09 AM
GrandLaker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyc151
I have Allstate, and they were one of the few normal insurance companies that would cover the TTS. I have never had a claim on any of "my" cars, but my kids have torn up a couple of cars and Allstate paid the repair bill directly with no fuss or big hikes. I'm very happy with them.
Allstate here as well with full replacement policy. No claims, knock on wood, but I consider it fairly cheap, $600/6 months.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:14 PM
AlD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Pardon my ignorance, but why is standard car insurance not good enough? Turbo (S) is not appreciating and is easily replaced, so if the car is totaled, a check from the insurance company should be good enough to buy another, right?
Originally Posted by rk-d
Since Turbos don't sell above MSRP (in fact mine being 7% below sticker) I concur that an agreed value policy is something I probably don't need to get. But I'm in uncharted territory, so I was wanting to make sure.
FWIW, our insurance is with AIG Private Client Group. Coverage is superb, service is amazing and, while not the "cheapest", they have taken good care of us with some unfortunate homeowners and exotic cars without question.

All of our cars - all, ranging from Ferrari to VW Golf, are on Agreed Value. A couple of the cars are on Collectors policies since they are expensive and not daily drivers. Better coverage, cheaper.

The Agreed Value also covers up to 150% of the agreed value to adjust for actual market values (which is unlikely with a 991TTS, but more likely if you had a 993TTS).

Bottom line, Agreed Value is about protecting what you have in the car. If you bought a 991TTS with a $200K MSRP.....drove it for a year, put 8K miles on it....then it's totaled. Standard insurance will give you depreciated market value - which would be what, $130K? Also, look closely at "replacement" terms. Agreed value makes you whole. Of course, pricing of that coverage maps to the policy, and they have tight controls to make sure you're not profiting off it, which is fair.

Last -whatever you do, do NOT "listen to what your agent tells you". Seriously. And my AIG agent is a close personal friend. Get the policy, read it, ask questions, go right to the company with any questions or clarifications. I've had quite a few friends whose agent told them "sure, you're covered on track" and we all know how that ends.

No experience with Pure; I had Chubb for 8 years and they were great, I shifted to AIG since only AIG would provide on-track and competition coverage
Old 03-14-2017, 01:24 PM
Misplacedyankee
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

^^^ What he said. I have looked at Haggerty, Chubb and AIG. I have Chubb on my Jeep in CO because I had to with my home policy there. They have been great to work with. I use Haggerty private client for all the other cars except the GL63 which is on Allstate due to my Dallas homeowners policy discount. I have quoted all of the agreed value firms and the standard firms and Haggerty was cheaper than allstate and many others. They recognize these cars are not driven every day and thus the premium is less.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:41 PM
NNN Investment
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Crazy I came across this. My buddy and I were talking about insurance and what I pay. He has a 16 GT3RS and a 14 Bmw 335 vert. He pays 1750 every 6 months. 500k liability etc.
I pay 1900 for 14 TT. Both same age and USAA. No one could answer why. So I called around. Progressive was only 864 per 6 months. But the liability is only 250k versus 1mm. USAA only charges 45 more to up it from 250k. Progressive says they use Nada for value. I told them that nada shows my car worth 110. You can't buy a 14 TT with 10k miles CPO for that and the Manheim auctions average 113-115. So now I'm confused on what to do. I want a high uninsured motorist like 1mm. I was in a bad accident in 2010 and the guy had no insurance. I had 100/300. I had surgery. My attorney told me that I should be carrying 1mm since it's very little extra. I thought about adding a umbrella but know nothing about if that would help for uninsured. Any suggestions.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:57 PM
NNN Investment
Instructor

Originally Posted by GrandLaker
Allstate here as well with full replacement policy. No claims, knock on wood, but I consider it fairly cheap, $600/6 months.
Your policy is 600 for 6 months. How did you do that. I'm jealous. USAA has me at 1900. Then progressive I checked yesterday they have me at 884. Geico has same coverage I want 1mm uninsured for 1300.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:25 AM
pashaj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NNN Investment
Your policy is 600 for 6 months. How did you do that. I'm jealous. USAA has me at 1900. Then progressive I checked yesterday they have me at 884. Geico has same coverage I want 1mm uninsured for 1300.
Sounds like you need to go to Geico. That's who I have and I think I pay $1100.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:27 AM
NNN Investment
Instructor

Originally Posted by pashaj
Sounds like you need to go to Geico. That's who I have and I think I pay $1100.
They quoted me 1300. Which is better. Progressive was 875 but only 250k vs 1mm
Old 04-21-2017, 06:59 AM
NNN Investment
Instructor

So I went with progressive and added an umbrella policy for 1mm with an additional uninsured motorist forn1mm. Total for 1.25mm is $1177 for 6 months. A lot better then my former USAA policy which I had for a long time. They were 1922 for 6 months.

Quick Reply: What kind of insurance are you guys using?