Sponsored by: Road Spy

DriveTribe: 991.2 Turbo vs Honda NSX vs Nissan GT-R

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 08:28 AM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

FWIW....

In early testing, NSX prototypes were quicker & handled better without the batteries & electric motors, but Honda decided the hybrid platform was the future.

Would not be surprised if we see variants of the NSX down the road.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:37 AM
porsche42
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I expected much better performance from the NSX. Thought with the electric motors it would definitely launch quicker. Just goes to show ya how quick the TT and TTS are. Porsche is engineered very well. I was also expecting a baby 918.

Did see the NSX at the Boston Car show couple weeks ago, better looking up close than the pictures suggested. Of course you could not sit in it.

The first generation NSX had great looks, but performance not on par with most sports cars. I also think the pricing for the second generation is a bit high for that level of performance, I expected prices to be closer to $150k for a somewhat loaded car.

Waiting to see the AMG GT-R car performance.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:39 AM
G.Irish
Racer

Received 205 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The problem with the NSX isn't that it is hybrid, per se.

It's that it's hybrid without the "e" part making the car special in any sense, except for being more complicated and heavier. Unlike the BMW i8 which actually has full e-mode, the NSX doesn't.

Honda could have achieved the same performance figures of the new NSX with just a FI-engine (sort of like the GT-R).
I don't know that having a pure electric mode would have been that much more desirable but who knows. I do think that they could've made a faster car if they went with the V6TT and just focused on making as light a car as possible, with as high a downforce/drag ratio as possible. I think going forward aero is where a lot of the performance is going to be gained with forthcoming supercars.

So, at the end of the day, it has a battery pack a bunch of extra motors, and doesn't do anything more than a regular turbo-charged car.
The e-motor integrated with the transmission provides torque fill between shifts and covers up turbo lag. The e-motors at the front corners provide torque-vector, even when the driver is off the throttle (which is not something a typical mechanical awd system can do).

To me, the problem is that the weight penalty of the e-motors is way too high. The NSX is a much smaller car than the GT-R but weighs just as much.

The other thing is that Honda did not spec enough power from the gasoline power plant. It's one thing to not launch as aggressively as the 991 Turbo (S), but because the e-motors don't contribute thrust over 120-ish mph, it is massively outgunned at higher speeds.

Multiple people on the NSX team will tell you that the engine has a lot of headroom but one has to wonder if cranking up the boost will require more cooling which will make the weight even worse. I think they'll have to at least drop the front motors and crank up the boost if they want to make a variant of the NSX that can compete at the pointy end in that segment. Right now it's in the ballpark, lags behind most of the usual suspects.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:58 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,008 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4S
Impressive performance for a TT without PDCC.
The tested Turbo had PCCB, how do we know it didn't have PDDC?
Old 03-01-2017, 09:51 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,247 Likes on 2,733 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
The tested Turbo had PCCB, how do we know it didn't have PDDC?
Jethro says the car doesn't have PDCC in the third video.

Speaking of - they just posted these videos in Youtube, which is easier to digest than the previous videos

Old 03-01-2017, 11:02 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,887 Likes on 4,817 Posts

The biggest thing holding back the TT/TTS is that it looks like every other 911 out there.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:56 AM
GrandLaker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The biggest thing holding back the TT/TTS is that it looks like every other 911 out there.
And some of us like that
Old 03-03-2017, 01:08 PM
Sonnen Porsche
Former Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 29 Posts

I would not be surprised to see an instrumented test of the new 2017 911 GTS get very close to those NSX numbers....
Old 03-03-2017, 07:50 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 874 Likes on 385 Posts

I like a sleeper. That's why I love my sleeper R, where most people wouldn't even bat an eye when they see it.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:51 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 874 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche42
I expected much better performance from the NSX. Thought with the electric motors it would definitely launch quicker. Just goes to show ya how quick the TT and TTS are. Porsche is engineered very well. I was also expecting a baby 918.
Me too! I was expecting so much, because it's Honda's first real supercar in almost 20 years. After testing it on the track at Thermal, I walked away really disappointed. The new NSX ain't no baby 918, that's for sure!

Quick Reply: DriveTribe: 991.2 Turbo vs Honda NSX vs Nissan GT-R