991.2 Turbo S, all purpose vehichle

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 04:06 AM
Nordic Flyer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991.2 Turbo S, all purpose vehichle

Hi all,

My first post on the forum, have been following for a long time though.

Live in Scandinavia and been through a number of 911's and lastly a GT4 that I liked very much but offered me restricted usage in terms of ground clerance as daily driver.

So, as mentioned I have a Turbo S incoming in February. Easy build in Carrera White with bucket seats, no sunroof and not much gadgets actually.
Rear sets to be removed and half roll cage to be installed by dealer. I will track the car extensively and have a set of Forgeline 20" GE1R on the way in Pearl Grey on which I will put Cup 2 tires.

The car will be used all year around, hence I will have winter tires.

I have no plans to do other mods at the moment, maybe later.

A question for you:
To take out some understeer, will 265 (Cup2) be OK in the front? Rims are 9x20F (12x20R btw).

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2017, 10:15 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordic Flyer
A question for you:
To take out some understeer, will 265 (Cup2) be OK in the front? Rims are 9x20F (12x20R btw).

Thanks!
They will fit, but the diameter is increased, so you will probably need to also change to 325/20 rear. Karl911 runs this setup.

My only concern, and why I've held out, is that the 265 will be much wider than the rim, so there will be more overhang of the tire beyond the edge of the rim, which may induce sidewall instability or flex, possibly negating any advantage at all. If you can find somebody to make you 9.5 inch wheels that will clear, that would be much better setup.

The other choice for more grip is Trofeo R in the OEM size. They do grip better, but don't last as long, meaning more expensive.

Are you also installing a 6-point harness? European cars come with seats to accept harnesses. In the US, we don't have the seatbelt pass throughs!!! I had to change to Cobra Misano seats.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:12 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Question for you Nordic Flyer, even with the 5" of ground clearance some chunks of ice will be encountered, especially where the plows cross streets and leave debris. Besides the obvious paint protection film, any insights on how to be sure to not bang up the front end?

I always planned to drive on cold clear days and leave the car home when the roads are salty or messy, but l'm finding myself driving the SUV everywhere while the car stays parked. The ice chunk concern is part of the reason.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:16 PM
Nordic Flyer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Randyc151
They will fit, but the diameter is increased, so you will probably need to also change to 325/20 rear. Karl911 runs this setup.

My only concern, and why I've held out, is that the 265 will be much wider than the rim, so there will be more overhang of the tire beyond the edge of the rim, which may induce sidewall instability or flex, possibly negating any advantage at all. If you can find somebody to make you 9.5 inch wheels that will clear, that would be much better setup.

The other choice for more grip is Trofeo R in the OEM size. They do grip better, but don't last as long, meaning more expensive.

Are you also installing a 6-point harness? European cars come with seats to accept harnesses. In the US, we don't have the seatbelt pass throughs!!! I had to change to Cobra Misano seats.
Randy, yes 325 rear could be a choice, however, will understeer then be taken out somewhat? Rear grip will increase so I guess the balance in the car will remain as stock??

Trofeos in 245's is for sure a tire to consider, no experience with it so far. Did you try it? I heard durability and wet grip is less than Cups2's.

I will have the 6 point harness.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:29 PM
Nordic Flyer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ace37
Question for you Nordic Flyer, even with the 5" of ground clearance some chunks of ice will be encountered, especially where the plows cross streets and leave debris. Besides the obvious paint protection film, any insights on how to be sure to not bang up the front end?

I always planned to drive on cold clear days and leave the car home when the roads are salty or messy, but l'm finding myself driving the SUV everywhere while the car stays parked. The ice chunk concern is part of the reason.
When heavy snow fall occur I leave my P-car in the garage and use my SUV. No reason to risk damage to the car. 911 is a wonderful winter drive though:
Old 01-25-2017, 08:06 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

When heavy snow fall occur I leave my P-car in the garage and use my SUV. No reason to risk damage to the car. 911 is a wonderful winter drive though:
Dang, I was hoping for a pearl of wisdom from the north! Thanks!

I used to live out in Finland (puhuinkin suomen kieltä) - beautiful area of the world up there!
Old 01-25-2017, 10:33 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 204 Posts

Nordic Flyer rocks! I've been threatening to a) track my TTS and b) put snows on it and drive it all year round...and after a whole bunch of 911's - never did either (except with my GT3 that went on the track)...and Nordic Flyer orders a car, puts a half cage and snow tires - awesome....damn the torpedos! I have to rethink why I buy these cars.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:03 PM
Nordic Flyer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Overdraft
Nordic Flyer rocks! I've been threatening to a) track my TTS and b) put snows on it and drive it all year round...and after a whole bunch of 911's - never did either (except with my GT3 that went on the track)...and Nordic Flyer orders a car, puts a half cage and snow tires - awesome....damn the torpedos! I have to rethink why I buy these cars.
Yes, why not
I want to get as much fun as possible out of this car no matter dry summer or cold winter.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:20 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

I would try first changing suspension settings and experiment with tire pressures to reduce understeer, you can get rid of all of it most likely, that's a very economical option.

If nothing else works 265 front will help, but I would not go wider or taller in the rear, it will negate the balance impact again. The rolling radius change is not enough to worry about it for the diff.

Try maximizing camber in the front with the stock setup
Higher tire pressure Front or Lower rear

I assume you don't want wider tires on snow
Old 01-31-2017, 02:59 AM
lumber
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Name:  image-2927835464.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  397.6 KB

I was in 6" recently without issue...
Old 01-31-2017, 05:10 AM
Nordic Flyer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lumber
Attachment 1130800

Great, what tires are you on?
Old 01-31-2017, 10:00 PM
lumber
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Great, what tires are you on?
Michelin pilot alpin on oem rim.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:47 AM
longboarder
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Jean
I would try first changing suspension settings and experiment with tire pressures to reduce understeer, you can get rid of all of it most likely, that's a very economical option.

If nothing else works 265 front will help, but I would not go wider or taller in the rear, it will negate the balance impact again. The rolling radius change is not enough to worry about it for the diff.

Try maximizing camber in the front with the stock setup
Higher tire pressure Front or Lower rear

I assume you don't want wider tires on snow
This is great advice. Nordic - have you driven the 991.2 extensively yet? The reason I ask is because the rear wheel steering gets the car to rotate a lot better compared to previous gen models. For example I have a 2011 Turbo S that I track along with my 2015 Turbo S. The 2011 is the 997 chassis and it took a bit of tweaking including as much neg camber in the front to get the car to rotate and not push so much. Whereas with the 991 chassis with the rear wheel steering, I find that the car is much easier to rotate in corners. Now it does push a little but a look at the stance from the factory - the front wheels stand straight up (no camber at all). So a simple fix is to get a performance alignment to max out neg camber in front and combined with the rear wheel steering, you may find this suitable. Good luck.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:57 PM
Nordic Flyer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by longboarder
This is great advice. Nordic - have you driven the 991.2 extensively yet? The reason I ask is because the rear wheel steering gets the car to rotate a lot better compared to previous gen models. For example I have a 2011 Turbo S that I track along with my 2015 Turbo S. The 2011 is the 997 chassis and it took a bit of tweaking including as much neg camber in the front to get the car to rotate and not push so much. Whereas with the 991 chassis with the rear wheel steering, I find that the car is much easier to rotate in corners. Now it does push a little but a look at the stance from the factory - the front wheels stand straight up (no camber at all). So a simple fix is to get a performance alignment to max out neg camber in front and combined with the rear wheel steering, you may find this suitable. Good luck.
Thanks for advise, this seems to be a reasonable way to start.
Never drove a RWS car, so this will be a new experience for me.

I still haven't got my car, will arrive end Feb.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:33 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by lumber
Attachment 1130800

One of the best pictures I have seen on Rennlist. Where is this taken?

Quick Reply: 991.2 Turbo S, all purpose vehichle