Sponsored by: Road Spy

991 Turbo What I don't like

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 06:11 PM
racer959
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 154 Posts
Default 991 Turbo What I don't like

I'm not trying bash anyone here. The factory wheels are ugly, the front bumper is brutal and the sound is terrible. The rest of the car is very nice. I have owned Porsche turbo's all my life. I have two older models right now. Does anyone think the same way about this or is it just me. Has anyone done anything different to there 991 turbo. I would like know Pictures would be nice also.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:20 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by racer959
I'm not trying bash anyone here. The factory wheels are ugly, the front bumper is brutal and the sound is terrible. The rest of the car is very nice. I have owned Porsche turbo's all my life. I have two older models right now. Does anyone think the same way about this or is it just me. Has anyone done anything different to there 991 turbo. I would like know Pictures would be nice also.
The Turbo S wheels are stunning!

The Europipe gives you some amazing sound that is classic 1980s Porsche!

Personally I like the bumper on the .1 but on the .2 it does look a bit boxy! However the aero kit version still looks great!
Old 01-01-2017, 06:29 PM
sctanton52
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with you on the sound for a factory 991.2 TTS, I think my 3-Cyl Diesel Kubota Tractor sounds better. I am OK with the current CL's but lots of great looking aftermarket wheels abound just some $$ required. I think Porsche is stuck in a bit of it must look like a Porsche Rut. I don't dislike the designs, but when I see it next to other modern performance sports cars, it does look like the old lady in the group. However, that old lady will still leave the 'young' bucks looking at her rounded rear-end most days.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:03 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Turbo S centerlock wheels are stunning - almost enough to justify the hassle of centerlocks. The regular turbo wheels are meh, and the classic wheels are just out of place, IMHO, but that's all subjective.

The sound is not terrible, but compared to what it could have been and what it can be with aftermarket parts, prompts a question "what were they thinking?!" Why can seemingly anyone with half an engineering degree and some welding equipment make a better sounding exhaust than Porsche? It's an easy fix that does not void warranty, though.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:33 PM
Bad Boys 1
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

C'mon
Old 01-01-2017, 09:03 PM
sctanton52
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice Photo Bad Boys 1, thanks. The only change I am doing to my TTS is an aftermarket exhaust. This like/dislike stuff is fully subjective, but I am also fully OK with 'to each their own'. Cheers.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:31 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Didn't like either 5 lug wheel option that well; maybe they look better to a German eye than an American one. The centerlocks are fine to me, but I don't want the hassle. No issue with the front end though - the car looks pretty good for a German designed vehicle heavily constrained by a long legacy. My car arrives in a week or two so I don't have much to say about the sound, but I've already considered ordering an exhaust based on the forum reviews.

Was looking for a great DD and think this will fit the bill. And thankfully wheels and sound are very easy to address in the aftermarket. But to your point, the wheel options and the sound could be a lot better from the factory.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:30 PM
racer959
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by ace37
Didn't like either 5 lug wheel option that well; maybe they look better to a German eye than an American one. The centerlocks are fine to me, but I don't want the hassle. No issue with the front end though - the car looks pretty good for a German designed vehicle heavily constrained by a long legacy. My car arrives in a week or two so I don't have much to say about the sound, but I've already considered ordering an exhaust based on the forum reviews.

Was looking for a great DD and think this will fit the bill. And thankfully wheels and sound are very easy to address in the aftermarket. But to your point, the wheel options and the sound could be a lot better from the factory.
Agree
Old 01-02-2017, 12:36 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Get an aftermarket exhaust and some aftermarket wheels. Fixed. There are a million pictures on this forum of different wheels, just look around.

Porsche wants the TTS to be the ultimate touring edition, but enthusiasts like the ones on this forum want the next level, so that's what I expect you are going to hear here.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:20 AM
Nanook
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I think they could lower the roofline like 2-4 inches..
Old 01-02-2017, 09:43 AM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by sctanton52
The only change I am doing to my TTS is an aftermarket exhaust.
My plan, as well, but first I want to experience the stock exhaust. My other two performance cars (both with bivalve, have an aftermarket mild2wild switch in the Vette) make nice noise. As for the stock TTS wheels, I think they look stunning. Regarding why Porsche doesn't make the stock exhaust noisier, I think it's smart marketing; those who like it "hot" can always modify to taste, and those who don't aren't put off.

I remember when I first added a performance exhaust to a previous car, I suddenly became very self-conscious at first when I drove in my residential neighborhood, it took a while to get used to it and then embrace it - but embrace it I did for sure.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:52 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

I don't have any issue with the stock centerlock wheels. That being said, I am planning to buy a second set of wheels so that I have one for summer tires and one for winter tires. I just had winter tires mounted on the OE wheels, so I'll used those from October - May. I'm planning to do something different for my summer wheels; leaning towards a bronze color at this point.

Exhaust sound preferences are very subjective. If you don't like the sound of the 991 turbos, then you should drive a 997 turbo for comparison. The 991 sounds great compared to the 997! In any case, there are lots of aftermarket options to change the sound. I'm sure you can find one that you like.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:42 AM
skyak
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

I think the 2017 Turbo S wheels are super sweet.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:08 AM
porsche42
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The center lock wheels look a lot cleaner IMHO. And the PCCB create almost no dust.

What I don't like is the "porsche entry and drive option", a $1050 option for a dummy key, where is the push button start?
Old 01-03-2017, 02:36 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

I've been a lurker on this forum for a few months and I'm eventually going to order a TT/TTS. The four things that I'm not completely sold on the 991.1/.2 platform are: the long nose (forward of the headlight), wheel options, Hoover vacuum exhaust, and the dummy key. Wheels and the exhaust are easy fixes in the aftermarket. It may be a while but I'm probably going to wait until the next refresh and see what comes out. Porsche can clean up the cabin a bit and learn a thing or two from Audi. To each his own. In the meantime, I may fill the void with a new Cayman S. I'll probably get stoned on the forum for saying this but I think the Cayman looks more proportional and sleek. Besides, it's a good way to convince the wife that I need to own 2 P-cars. I think the Cayman will make an excellent airport car!

Quick Reply: 991 Turbo What I don't like