Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

So what is with the tires on these things?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016 | 12:11 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

patch is always preferred over a plug
Old 12-26-2016 | 12:58 AM
RONGLOS
Racer

Old 12-26-2016 | 03:33 PM
rlhyde
Advanced

I have found an Independent Porsche guy who says he can do it, but fears he can't get the wheel off. Does the tool for removing the center lock come with the car or do I need to purchase something?
Old 12-27-2016 | 03:21 AM
hionbusa
AutoX

Originally Posted by rlhyde
I have a 2015 Turbo S. It's a great car, but I haven’t driven it that much, so it only has about 9,000 miles on the car and the original tires. Today, I ran over a screw, and now the rear left tire is leaking air. The screw is in the middle of the tire, which I am told is a good thing - it can be repaired. So, I conscientiously took the car to my local Porsche dealer, who said dealers are not allowed to fix tires. They say Porsche tells them not to repair leaking tires - only replace with new. So the dealer told be to take the car to a tire shop a few blocks away (Firestone) and have the leak repaired.

At Firestone I was told “these are high speed tires and we won’t fix them because if they fail we are responsible.” (Which sounded like bull**** to me.) I said, “well, if no one wants to fix them it sounds like you and Porsche are saying that every time I run over a nail I have to replace a very expensive tire (and probably two, for balance).” He said, “yeah - that is the downside of buying a Porsche” (which sounds to me like more bull****.)

Today is the Friday before Christmas, so I didn’t want to keep driving from store to store - driving out there is a nightmare. But next week I will be able to get this fixed, right?

Thanks in advance.
Wow.. Lot of loose nails in San Diego.
Same car same thing happened to me a week ago.Went dealership and got a new tire.
Old 12-27-2016 | 05:35 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Yes, the center lock socket is under the cover in front of the trunk well.
But you will need a 450 ft-lb torque wrench!
Old 12-29-2016 | 09:18 AM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Patching it is no problem at all, but don't plug it. I wouldn't track this tire with 9000 miles anyway, but I'm assuming its Pzero so that's not an issue.

I'd probably suggest you take the car to the dealer, have them remove the wheel, then take it in another car to get the repair. Then bring it back, have dealer reinstall it.

I have all the tools needed to remove and replace tires, but it's not easy to justify the cost of the tools if you are not going to do this more than occasionally.

From memory, you will need: low profile jack, 2x12" wood blocks to drive on to make clearance for the jack, jackpoint jack stands, 3/4" breaker bar, centerlock alignment tool, 3/4" torque wrench (up to 450ft/lb and 600nM), Castrol Optimol paste lube, and a friend to sit in the car with a stiff foot on the brakes with the car running while you loosen and/or tighten the centerlock bolt.

Decent video on the process:

(Fake legal disclaimer: I'm not financially responsible for anything that goes awry if you foolishly take any advice from me in a forum post.)

Last edited by Randyc151; 12-29-2016 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-29-2016 | 09:40 PM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Randy, your going scare this guy with the video, he is struggling with should he go with a patch or a plug
Old 12-30-2016 | 08:56 AM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Point taken, Karl!
Old 12-30-2016 | 10:57 AM
rlhyde
Advanced

I will be "resolving" this as follows (unless something unexpected happens). I purchased the tool to remove the wheel and I am going to an independent guy that I trust this morning. He says he can patch it.

Thanks for all the advice.

Last edited by rlhyde; 12-30-2016 at 11:22 AM.
Old 12-30-2016 | 05:00 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

A combined plug patch is best iirc for a high performance radial
Old 12-30-2016 | 11:12 PM
Bad Boys 1
Racer

so 2 pages to debate a patch or a plug for a tire with 9,000 miles on a 200,000 car?

What am I missing here.

No disrespect intended
Old 12-31-2016 | 07:20 AM
Tony007
Advanced

Originally Posted by thebishman
A combined plug patch is best iirc for a high performance radial
I agree that this is the best method for a repair and perfectly safe for normal driving.

However, I personally would elect to purchase a new set of tires
Old 01-05-2017 | 12:53 AM
rlhyde
Advanced

How it ended up:

They swore they could patch it. So they pulled off the wheel and said "Nope. Too close to the edge." Taking everyones comments here into account, and quite tired of this issue (as I am sure you guys are), I just said "F. it." I replaced the rear tires. I'm back on the road again.
Old 01-05-2017 | 07:45 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Do not keep us in suspense, what tires did you choose as replacements?
Old 01-06-2017 | 12:19 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by rlhyde
How it ended up:

They swore they could patch it. So they pulled off the wheel and said "Nope. Too close to the edge." Taking everyones comments here into account, and quite tired of this issue (as I am sure you guys are), I just said "F. it." I replaced the rear tires. I'm back on the road again.
Might have found a 2nd (or even a 3rd) puncture once the tire was checked. (One time with my 996 Turbo a rear tire went low and I took the car to a dealer and on the rack the tech found at least 3 pieces of metal in the tire.)

I've had a local indy tire shop fix my Porsche tires. Sometimes I'm not even charged for this. I have bought one set of front tires for my Boxster there but prefer to get my tires at the local Porsche dealer. (Who gives me a pretty good price on the tires believe it or not.)

(As an aside, I always remove the wheel with the flat tire here at my place and carry the wheel/tire -- wrapped in plastic bag (there should be a plastic bag in the car's "tool kit" -- to the tire shop. This is so I don't have to watch the tech attempt to jack up the car using some non-sanctioned jacking point or failing to protect the lift point with a rubber pad between it and the jack.)

Sometimes though the tire can't be fixed -- or in one case while I was told the puncture was pretty close to the edge the tech fixed the tire but told me it probably wouldn't hold air and he proved to be right -- and most of the time I replace both tires.

The reason is seldom do relatively new tires pick up a puncture. It is only when the tire gets worn does it seem to be more likely to get something in it. Porsche guidelines require both tires on an axle be replaced if the tire on the other side is worn 30% or more from new and this is almost always the case.

For some time now when I get new tires at the dealer the tires come with road hazard coverage. This runs -- last time I looked -- about $7/tire. It has paid for itself a number of times. Best was the Turbo rear tire got a nail. I had around 20K miles on the tires. But the tire had (barely) 3mm of tread left and that was enough tread that I got a new tire. 'course, I had to buy the other tire.

A complication occurred with the replacement tire. Believe or not this tire picked up a puncture. As I said above this is a rare event based on my experience and what I gather from talking to SMs and techs. The dealer submitted a tire claim and it was denied! The tire supplier offfered something about replacement tires not covered by the road hazard coverage as the reason. I talked to the SM and he said he'd go to bat for me and he did and the tire supplier relented and I got the relatively new but punctured tire replaced.

Quick Reply: So what is with the tires on these things?