Sponsored by: Road Spy

Low option Turbo discount?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 06:09 PM
Brick
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Low option Turbo discount?

I found 2014 991 turbo with very low miles for sale being 1,700 or so. However, it does not have heated seats or Sport Chrono or actually any options except natural two toned leather. It has been for sale for a bit, I suspect this is why. I like it but am wondering how signifcant the lack of the options are and how steep a price deduction this might cause. It hurts current value and resale later.

Thanks for your input.

Bill

Last edited by Brick; 10-29-2016 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:54 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Not a popular TT without the $4090 Sport Chrono option on the '14-16.... tough sell today & resale down the road.

Excerpt from one review I read when I was shopping......

"Sport Chrono Package: Without it the 991.1 Porsche 911 Turbo is simply not the same. The Sport Chrono Package offers the Sport Plus button in the center console. Sport Plus tightens everything including throttle response and includes the launch control function."

Here's a factory brochure for the 991.1 TT/TTS.

http://photos.stuttcars.info/upload/...tatus-2013.pdf
Old 10-29-2016, 07:21 PM
Brick
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info. I knew the specs of the Sport Chrono and appreciate the bruchure. My thought is the value of the car should be diminished from the book by at least the $4k cost and probably a bit more more. There seems adequate supply of good low mile Turbo's and Turbo S. i figure book values just include the Sport Chrono and I have only seen this 991 TT out of all the TT and TTS for sale.

Bill
Old 10-29-2016, 07:30 PM
Brick
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info. I knew the specs of the Sport Chrono and appreciate the bruchure. My thought is the value of the car should be diminished from the book by at least the $4k cost and probably a bit more more. There seems adequate supply of good low mile Turbo's and Turbo S. i figure book values just include the Sport Chrono and I have only seen this 991 TT out of all the TT and TTS for sale.

Bill
Old 10-30-2016, 12:51 AM
mark12345
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Brick
I found 2014 991 turbo with very low miles for sale being 1,700 or so. However, it does not have heated seats or Sport Chrono or actually any options except natural two toned leather. It has been for sale for a bit, I suspect this is why. I like it but am wondering how signifcant the lack of the options are and how steep a price deduction this might cause. It hurts current value and resale later.

Thanks for your input.

Bill
I have a friend looking for a TT. How much are you asking for your TT? Any good pics?
Old 10-30-2016, 11:46 AM
Brick
Rennlist Member

Mark,
I am not sure if you thought I was selling this 2014 I was discussing, but I actually am just looking at it with an idea to buy.

I do have a 2007 TT for sale, 8,350 miles Atlas Grey over black for $76,997. It is listed in the classified section which I updated yesterday. I have plenty of other photos.

But as I did not mention it, I think my post was confusing you on the newer 991. Either way, thanks for asking!

Bill
Old 10-30-2016, 01:36 PM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 892 Likes on 463 Posts

Two recent posts list average depreciation for used TT, TTS.
1st. A new car depreciates 10%from dealer costs when sold. Porsche mark up is 13%, so sticker -13%, -10% for every year = Current value.

2nd. Depreciation per year 1 = 20%, year 2 = 14%, year 3 = 10%, year 4 = 7%, year 5+ = 6%.

So you need to find out, or figure out, what the original sticker price was.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-30-2016, 02:07 PM
Brick
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I get all this and I have access to Manhiem as well. The thing is these averages and auction prices are pretty much all on cars that have higher options, which may not matter, but they all have Sport Chrono as far as I can tell. I think that is a big deal and actually a no sale for many. So in addition to using the info you provided, I think there is an additional loss of value. Maybe in excess of the option cost. So, I am just wondering how others see this.

Thanks again!
Old 10-30-2016, 06:33 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Unless you like the car with that few options and no Sport Chrono, and intend to keep it for about as long as possible, I would pass on it or make sure I got enough of a discount for essentially being unable to sell it in the near future. What that number is, is up to you, but I would start at a minimum with a discount equal to at least 2x the price of the missing key options. People in the used car market will just keep looking for a car that meets their desired spec, and will pass on your car unless a very, very good bargain.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:29 PM
Brick
Rennlist Member

Agreed, so about $8k deduction from those that have Sport Chrono. Exactly as I am thinkng, just wanted some opions to support this or not.

Bill
Old 10-31-2016, 01:07 PM
Mister_Yogi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say even more than 8k. That is a major miss in a TT. No launch control, no sport plus.

Here's the question - if you had 2 comparable TTs and the only difference between the 2 was Sport Chrono, would you pay 8k more for that car?

I think most people would GIVEN they usually don't hold on to the car long, so resale is a concern.

If you're not worried about resale and don't care about launch control or sport plus, then have at it.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:42 PM
Brick
Rennlist Member

I usually trade or try to every 2-3 years and I don't drive them far. 2-3 K total. So resale is important and this is a big part of the question. Not only the value, in terms of resale you might add months to the time frame. I agree with you completely.

Bill
Old 11-01-2016, 11:30 AM
Mister_Yogi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brick
I usually trade or try to every 2-3 years and I don't drive them far. 2-3 K total. So resale is important and this is a big part of the question. Not only the value, in terms of resale you might add months to the time frame. I agree with you completely.

Bill
In that case, I would avoid the car. There should be plenty of other instances available for sale.

I thought more about what it would take for me to buy this car, and I decided that it might need to be roughly 15-20k off the mark. That way, when I go to trade the car in or sell it, I could do so for roughly the same amount off the mark at that time.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:43 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 130 Posts

Launch control is a great reason to own one of these for me, deal breaker to not have it.
Plan on having to trade in at wholesale to a dealer or wait for the right buyer that doesn't care about a cool option that is on every other one for sale.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:19 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister_Yogi
In that case, I would avoid the car. There should be plenty of other instances available for sale.

I thought more about what it would take for me to buy this car, and I decided that it might need to be roughly 15-20k off the mark. That way, when I go to trade the car in or sell it, I could do so for roughly the same amount off the mark at that time.
+1. If you turn over the car relatively often and only after low miles, you will not only suffer lower resale, but it may be a LONG time before anyone will buy the car.

Quick Reply: Low option Turbo discount?