Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Article about Porsche 991.2 Turbo - Agree?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 06:30 PM
EUWDIAMOND
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Article about Porsche 991.2 Turbo - Agree?

http://flatsixes.com/cars/porsche-turbo/9-reasons-2017-911-turbo-better-than-ever/

Does the new Turbo really have this unique bound that has often been lacking compared to the GT3, Boxster Spyder, GT4 series? Can it really be exciting even on mountain roads? Are 500hp usable on the road when driving sporty?

Let me know, how do you like the Turbo? Would you ever choose is above others for a pure emotional weekend drive and why so? How does it manage to create excitement compared to the rest of the lineup? Why would one choose a Turbo over a 911 GTS, GT3, GT4, Spyder, Cayman GTS for a fun, emotionly involving afternoon ride on Sunday?

Thanks
Old 09-04-2016, 12:44 AM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

It is the Porsche that does EVERYTHING well. From comfortable GT to violent acceleration and handling that approaches the vaunted GT3. Drive one if you haven't and you will agree. My current TTS is my favorite after 30 years of 911's.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:10 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Article about Porsche 991.2 Turbo - Agree?

Totally!!
Old 09-04-2016, 09:44 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

There are a few simple reasons to pick the turbo or Turbo S over the others.

It has more low-end torque than any of them. It has far greater acceleration than any of them. It is easily tuneable to insane levels of power (700 bhp with tune, catless exhaust and Intercoolers, 800 with the same and upgraded turbos, 850 plus with the above plus meth).

It has a comfortable ride. It has really great ground clearance for a sports car that the GT cars don't.

It has all-wheel-drive and as a result can go blasting out of the corners and accelerate from the line in a way the GT cars cannot. Similarly because of it's all-wheel-drive slap on a set of snow tires and you can drive it with confidence in the snow and in the winter. You can't do that with the rear wheel drive GT cars. Similarly it's all-wheel-drive makes it great in the rain which the GT cars are not.

It really is an incredible all around car and by far the fastest 911.

It certainly does not sound as good stock is the GT cars but if you take off the cats and move to a catless exhaust it sounds great. And if you replace the stock tires with a set of pilot sport cup 2s (the GT3 OEM tire) it will go as fast or faster around any track than the GT3.

There's only one major downside to the Turbo and that is depreciation. The GT cars really hold their value the turbo does not.

Also, obviously the GT cars are much more extroverted in their looks than the Turbo.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:44 PM
HassaanAbdeen
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sdg1871
There are a few simple reasons to pick the turbo or Turbo S over the others.

It has more low-end torque than any of them. It has far greater acceleration than any of them. It is easily tuneable to insane levels of power (700 bhp with tune, catless exhaust and Intercoolers, 800 with the same and upgraded turbos, 850 plus with the above plus meth).

It has a comfortable ride. It has really great ground clearance for a sports car that the GT cars don't.

It has all-wheel-drive and as a result can go blasting out of the corners and accelerate from the line in a way the GT cars cannot. Similarly because of it's all-wheel-drive slap on a set of snow tires and you can drive it with confidence in the snow and in the winter. You can't do that with the rear wheel drive GT cars. Similarly it's all-wheel-drive makes it great in the rain which the GT cars are not.

It really is an incredible all around car and by far the fastest 911.

It certainly does not sound as good stock is the GT cars but if you take off the cats and move to a catless exhaust it sounds great. And if you replace the stock tires with a set of pilot sport cup 2s (the GT3 OEM tire) it will go as fast or faster around any track than the GT3.

There's only one major downside to the Turbo and that is depreciation. The GT cars really hold their value the turbo does not.

Also, obviously the GT cars are much more extroverted in their looks than the Turbo.
well said... There's nothing I could think of you didn't cover.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:36 PM
Masonbrick
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm really curious to see how much improved the 991.2 Turbo S is over my 991.1. Thunderhill is a track I go to often so I wanted to see a reference to track times....stock C6 Z06 will go 144 down main straight so that isn't terribly noteworthy. I've been contemplating getting a 991.2 Turbo S because of the perceived improvements in dynamic feedback and this article further piques my curiosity
Old 09-04-2016, 10:07 PM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 154 Posts

Things I've done with my Turbo S
  • Drive to work in heavy traffic.
  • Drive 10 hours in one shot with no fatigue.
  • Drive 350 miles to Mid-Ohio, pound around the track for two days, and then drive 350 miles home - no mods, no issues.
  • Go on vacation with a couple of weeks of clothes and gear.
  • Drive through 4 inches of heavy wet snow.
  • Toss the car around on winding country roads with a huge s**t eating grin.

I know of no other car that can do all this with the levels of performance, comfort, fun, and reliability that this Turbo S delivers.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:18 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Just J
Things I've done with my Turbo S
  • Drive to work in heavy traffic.
  • Drive 10 hours in one shot with no fatigue.
  • Drive 350 miles to Mid-Ohio, pound around the track for two days, and then drive 350 miles home - no mods, no issues.
  • Go on vacation with a couple of weeks of clothes and gear.
  • Drive through 4 inches of heavy wet snow.
  • Toss the car around on winding country roads with a huge s**t eating grin.

I know of no other car that can do all this with the levels of performance, comfort, fun, and reliability that this Turbo S delivers.
Amen.

Drove 3,000 miles in it on Goldrush Rally 7 and 1,100 miles in it on the Corsa American Dragon 1,100. Perfection. Not one issue.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:27 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,783 Likes on 4,775 Posts

The TTS/TT is the Swiss Army knife of 911s.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:06 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Disregarding the Turbo's practical Swiss Army Knife capabilities as a daily drive-able super car (no doubt here) and getting directly to your question about choosing the Turbo for driving excitement or involvement over the GT3 or GT4, here is what I found after comparing a GT3 with a Turbo. The power and acceleration of the Turbo is intoxicating especially on the open road, curved or straight. The GT3 really needs corners to be all it can be. I find the GT3 (which I ended up buying) a bit boring around town. To a small degree the GT3 substitutes a great sound track at high rpm for relatively little forward motion compared to the Turbo.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:03 AM
Masonbrick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by john weires
Disregarding the Turbo's practical Swiss Army Knife capabilities as a daily drive-able super car (no doubt here) and getting directly to your question about choosing the Turbo for driving excitement or involvement over the GT3 or GT4, here is what I found after comparing a GT3 with a Turbo. The power and acceleration of the Turbo is intoxicating especially on the open road, curved or straight. The GT3 really needs corners to be all it can be. I find the GT3 (which I ended up buying) a bit boring around town. To a small degree the GT3 substitutes a great sound track at high rpm for relatively little forward motion compared to the Turbo.
I totally agree with you. Both GT3 and Turbo S drive around like Hondas in normal day to day activities (which I don't mind at all). They both need to be at 9-10/10's on a track for their special talents to come forth. GT3 is just sharper in every way except forward thrust
Old 09-05-2016, 03:20 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Masonbrick
I'm really curious to see how much improved the 991.2 Turbo S is over my 991.1. Thunderhill is a track I go to often so I wanted to see a reference to track times....stock C6 Z06 will go 144 down main straight so that isn't terribly noteworthy. I've been contemplating getting a 991.2 Turbo S because of the perceived improvements in dynamic feedback and this article further piques my curiosity
I traded in my 2015 TTS about a month ago for a 2017 TTS. You won't regret it. The 991.2 is better in every way.

I'm actually testing a 991 Cup and an R8 GT3 at Thunderhill in a few weeks and plan to do a couple laps in my street car -- just to see what kind of lap time it'll do. It's going to be ridiculously fast.

-mike
Old 09-06-2016, 01:51 AM
Masonbrick
Rennlist Member

Please let us know your impressions when you go to Thunderhill. I always liked your data 'downloads' from your testing at Sonoma in the past here on the forum so I'm looking forward to seeing what you think.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:00 PM
EUWDIAMOND
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, fantastic replies! I'll get my hands on a 97-99 boxster or 06 cayman first (I'm rather young) and driving the likes of a turbo would only lead to my license being gone! After a few years and increased capital, we'll see...

Quick Reply: Article about Porsche 991.2 Turbo - Agree?