Sponsored by: Road Spy

991 TT/TTS Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 02:32 AM
Ninesixteen
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991 TT/TTS Review

Hello Folks, I apologize if this is a repeat topic or one that should be posted somewhere else. I am finally in a position to by my dream car. 991 series 911 Turbo S. It will easily be the most expensive car I have ever purchased. So I am a little concerned about the cars long term use and reliability. Due to the countless driving miles and experiences the people of this forum must have with the 991-911 Turbo and Turbo S. I thought it best to ask these questions to the people that drive them.

- Can anyone give me an unbiased 1 year or more long term review of the 991 TT or TTS? Please include ANY experiences where you may have had to have warranty work performed, or had to fork out money for anything not covered under warranty. Or maybe a problem area which will require a Porsche approved technician to repair. Please include experiences good and bad. Especially bad. A creek or rattle,
electronics issues, premature wear of components. How is drives now as compared to new. Not to forget how you genuinely feel about your p-car purchase a year or more later. 12k, 15k, 18k, or even 30k miles later. Fuel economy (not as important but curious) how interior components are holding up etc,.. Anything you can tell me about the car (good or bad, especially bad) is much appreciated.

Well, now after asking about all that some may think this is not the car for me. However I feel because I have wanted to take the plunge into a P-car for so long. I will get one anyway. I am sure you all know why. Only live once, not getting any younger, don't live with regret of refraining from buying. Etc... Just want an idea of what I am getting into. I am already trying to figure out what is a good deal or not. Lot of unknowns about that. A local LA dealer is asking $167k ($194k MSRP)+ tax, title, license on a 2016 tts. To name a few the car has,

Burmester
Glass Sunroof
Carbon Fiber pkg
Illuminated Carbon Fiber door sills
Premium pkg plus (vented seats, entry/drive, b/u camera)
Multi function steering wheel
Smoking pkg

All in Agate grey exterior and black interior. Please tell me your thoughts. Thanks.

Very Respectfully,

9/16
Old 07-11-2016, 08:30 AM
porsche42
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow I felt the same way went from a 2013 CS to a new to 2015 TTS. Yeah that's the most money I have paid for car also, was about $194k sticker. Only a sunny day weekend driver not a DD. I have another car for that.

In the 2 years I have had it no problems at all, I did change out the front directional markers for white led ones. Also I do most of my own maintenance. Oil changes are very easy and you don't even need to jack up the car. You may need to use 2 containers to remove the oil since it takes about 8 quarts. The other thing is the insurance, I was thinking that moving from the CS to a Turbo would be a huge jump it was not at all. I have Geico. I looked at a Lambo Hurcan and for some strange reason the insurance on that car was over 2k!!

I did have one incident got a flat tire on the right rear with only 4k miles. I bought the jack and torque wrench and changed the tire myself. The dealer actually changed the tire. I have the center locks. I would have eventually bought the torque wrench and the jack point stand anyways.

Love the car, the speed is addictive to say the least. I have the Burmeister stereo absolute must for me. Have the heated/cooling seats like those too. Have the keyless entry, you still need a blank key in the ignition, not push button start. Have the sun roof used it once to see if it worked. Have the power steering plus, no visible effects from that.

Lot of money yeah, but I plan to keep the car for a long time. Why leave the money to the kids!! Mileage is ok I guess I don't check it regularly like I do my other cars.

Have the same color combo Agate gray metallic with black interior. Wish it had deviated colored stitching, but no big deal. For some reason looks like 70% of Porsches I see have black interiors. I heard it makes the instruments pop, they can be more easily seen. Certainly true.

I would buy the car again in a heart beat. You can kind of drive under the radar since it looks don't seem to attract a lot of attention.

Good Luck!!
Old 07-11-2016, 12:06 PM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have had mine since Nov 2015 (It's a '15 TT) and love the car. It is not my DD but it drives as well today as the day I got it. I still look at after I park every time.

I did have one issue - my PCM failed and needed to replaced. Acted like it was a HD failure as maps would not load and the PCM would just keep restarting. It was replaced under warranty and has been fine since.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:09 PM
GrandLaker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coming up on two years for me. I was same situation. Best vehicle I had owned up to the point I ordered my cab turbo S was an Acura TL:-). Yea I made a huge leap. Car has been awesome, zero issues. No idea on fuel mileage, don't care in fact. I can't imagine a better handling, more powerful car.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:19 AM
dds007
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

It seems I get about 10-12mpg... The gas pedal is addicting especially with a tune!

Car negatives:
- squeaky glass roof, easily fixed with lubricant
- air conditioner is not the greatest even with combination of ventilated seats (I like it coldddd)
- I have the Bose sound system, which is absolute crap.
- satellite radio "skips" a lot. Had the antenna replaced and it's still terrible. No way around it I guess.
- wife complains about my driving over speed bumps, when I gun it, or my childish need to rev under bridges.

Car positives:
- truly amazing car and it's worth every penny. That being said, try to get it for $150k-ish .

Good luck!
Old 07-16-2016, 09:06 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a 2014 991 TTS with 16k miles. I love it. It does everything well.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:56 AM
DaveChapin
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had my 991.1TTS for a little over two years now.

My negative lists would be:
- I wish the leather was a little softer but it looks very good given all the bits covered by default in a TTS and especially if you get certain extra bits w/ contrast stitching.
- HATE the way the car feels when you are making very tight turns at low speed while parking; just the way 911s feel when near full lock apparently. Fortunately the car makes up for this on the road so you soon forget about that.
- Rattles. Not sure where they all come from, but it would be nice if Porsche could button this thing down better.

Positives:
- Fastest thing I have ever driven.
- No wear issues; however I do pretty aggressively keep the seats clean with regular wipe downs with hot water to remove oils, dye transfer from jeans, etc
- Love the PCCBs due to vanity alone: never have to clean the wheels. I'm not kidding. Never. They look exactly like the day I first picked up the car.
- Apart from the rattles, the interior quality is fantastic
- No reliability problems over the last two years
- Love the glass roof; don't know if it is the source of my rattles but it were, I'd keep it anyway.
- I have the Burmester and I think it's great, so can't comment on the Bose

Observations...
- Mostly city driving, 13-15mpg
- FWIW: I have not experienced any issue with weak AC ... but then I live in the PacNW and just don't have a lot of heat to deal with most of the year.
- Satellite radio for me in the car is solid. Waaaay better than that in my 2016 bmw; which is amazing considering Porsche manages this w/o a huge shark fin on the roof
- I love the look of the centerlocks, but will not attempt to change them on my own. When I detected a slow leak in my right rear, I tried to get Les Schwab to fix it but they lacked the special equipment needed to pull it off. Fortunately the car comes with a nifty compressor and the leak was slow enough that I could safely just drive it to the local P-car dealership for tire repair. Afraid I don't remember how much that cost, but I know it was not free.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:33 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche42
Wow I felt the same way went from a 2013 CS to a new to 2015 TTS. Yeah that's the most money I have paid for car also, was about $194k sticker. Only a sunny day weekend driver not a DD. I have another car for that. In the 2 years I have had it no problems at all, I did change out the front directional markers for white led ones. Also I do most of my own maintenance. Oil changes are very easy and you don't even need to jack up the car. You may need to use 2 containers to remove the oil since it takes about 8 quarts. The other thing is the insurance, I was thinking that moving from the CS to a Turbo would be a huge jump it was not at all. I have Geico. I looked at a Lambo Hurcan and for some strange reason the insurance on that car was over 2k!! I did have one incident got a flat tire on the right rear with only 4k miles. I bought the jack and torque wrench and changed the tire myself. The dealer actually changed the tire. I have the center locks. I would have eventually bought the torque wrench and the jack point stand anyways. Love the car, the speed is addictive to say the least. I have the Burmeister stereo absolute must for me. Have the heated/cooling seats like those too. Have the keyless entry, you still need a blank key in the ignition, not push button start. Have the sun roof used it once to see if it worked. Have the power steering plus, no visible effects from that. Lot of money yeah, but I plan to keep the car for a long time. Why leave the money to the kids!! Mileage is ok I guess I don't check it regularly like I do my other cars. Have the same color combo Agate gray metallic with black interior. Wish it had deviated colored stitching, but no big deal. For some reason looks like 70% of Porsches I see have black interiors. I heard it makes the instruments pop, they can be more easily seen. Certainly true. I would buy the car again in a heart beat. You can kind of drive under the radar since it looks don't seem to attract a lot of attention. Good Luck!!
Similar positive experience. 2015 for a year and a half. Only issue was a flat tire.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:33 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

I've had DDG for almost exactly one year, not including ED. 1500 ED miles and 5500 miles after: 7k miles in total. I three-season daily-drive it.

No sunroof. No rattles. One issue - interior - that occurred right off the boat that will be fixed next week under warranty. (Too busy driving it to leave it at the dealer.)

Gas mileage? Don't care. I think I've seen mid-20s on mostly-highway drives.

Burmester is noticeably better that Bose, but not as good as it should be for the money (like a lot of things Porsche.)

PDDC is awesome.

Note to OP: Multifunction steering wheel is a horrible joke. Sport design wheel with the paddles can be retrofitted, but I *think* that a retrofit doesn't offer paddle-neutral mode and that's a car-killer for me.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:36 AM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 97 Posts

New or pre-owned
Old 07-17-2016, 04:58 PM
cabman4007
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I purchased the Tire and Wheel insurance. Any wheel damage or flat tires are covered 100% for 4 years. Cost $775 which IMO was well worth it since I have used it after hitting a low curb.

Car is amazing and best car I have evdr owned. Bests my 997 Turbo manual by miles.

Had a few recalls and zero mechanical problems.

Buy the battery optimizer and keep it charged.

I would do the purchase again, no regrets even though my friends who purchased the 991 GT3 for $160K still have $155K of equity and I have barely $130K equity paying $30K more than thr GT3 guys. The car is just worth the huge depreciation loss.

Quick Reply: 991 TT/TTS Review