Sponsored by: Road Spy

Auto Start/Stop

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 04:58 PM
GarbageMan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Start/Stop

I am new to the forum, and have tried searching with little success, possibly because I'm not using the right search words. My question is this:

I have placed a deposit to order a 2017 911 Turbo S. I have no-doubt that it has the silly "start-stop" (fuel saving) feature that Euros, and others seem to like. I have it on my 2014 BMW M5, but I am able to keep it turned off; I've never had it turned on since it was new. Please tell me that I can do the same with the Porsche if it has this silly feature... Thanks.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:48 PM
bakeryequip
4th Gear

Default start stop

you can turn off mine has never been on
Old 05-09-2016, 05:52 PM
GarbageMan
Advanced

Originally Posted by bakeryequip
you can turn off mine has never been on

Thank you for your response. Now if they only had manual oil dipsticks in addition to the electronic oil level monitoring. My BMW has this same circumstance, and I have never gotten used to not having a dipstick. I'm afraid, for many reasons, that these will continue to disappear...
Old 05-09-2016, 06:00 PM
Fally
Intermediate

My audi has a plug over dipstick area from factory. I know you can remove plug and buy a dipstick for it for cheap.
Not sure if the 911 has same option. I can tell you when I did my oil change it was very limited access in 911's engine bay.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:29 PM
GrandLaker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GarbageMan
I am new to the forum, and have tried searching with little success, possibly because I'm not using the right search words. My question is this:

I have placed a deposit to order a 2017 911 Turbo S. I have no-doubt that it has the silly "start-stop" (fuel saving) feature that Euros, and others seem to like. I have it on my 2014 BMW M5, but I am able to keep it turned off; I've never had it turned on since it was new. Please tell me that I can do the same with the Porsche if it has this silly feature... Thanks.
There is a thread ongoing over in the NA section. Apparently for 2017 models it defaults to always on and even if you turn it off upon restart it reverts to on. My 2015 you turn it off and it remains off thankfully.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:08 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,721 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandLaker
Apparently for 2017 models it defaults to always on and even if you turn it off upon restart it reverts to on.
Did they really do that?

I have the same issue in my 16 L405, I have to turn off the damn thing off every time I start the vehicle. I had a 15 L405 before that, an there was a small battery for it in the rear cargo area that you could disconnect that disabled start/stop without any CEL warnings ... the bastards took it away and made it so one can't disable it that way any more. If I had known I would have kept my 15 for that reason alone cause it drives me crazy.

Maybe when COBB comes out with a tuner for the .2 they'll find a way to disable it. No one has figured out how to do it on the new RRs yet.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:22 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandLaker
There is a thread ongoing over in the NA section. Apparently for 2017 models it defaults to always on and even if you turn it off upon restart it reverts to on. My 2015 you turn it off and it remains off thankfully.
Not the case. The function can be set to default off or on by the dealer techs using the piwis. Yours is currently switchable simply because it has been set to default off by the dealer as is the case with my own. Many dealers will do this prior to delivering the car due to the model being what it is, some dealers obviously don't from what i have read here. From what my dealer is saying the 2017 is no different in that regard...it can be done. Just ask which way you want the setting to be set to prior to delivery if it is of concern.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:36 PM
gary k
Intermediate

Just got a 2017 TTS and the auto stop/start defaults to on every time you turn the engine off. If you select sport or sport plus mode, it's disabled. Trouble is-you have to select every time you start it. Would be nice if there was a way to have it default to sport. I recall there was a way to do it with a rewired switch on the pre-2017 991 but not sure if there's a fix with the rotary dial.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:34 PM
GarbageMan
Advanced

Originally Posted by gary k
Just got a 2017 TTS and the auto stop/start defaults to on every time you turn the engine off. If you select sport or sport plus mode, it's disabled. Trouble is-you have to select every time you start it. Would be nice if there was a way to have it default to sport. I recall there was a way to do it with a rewired switch on the pre-2017 991 but not sure if there's a fix with the rotary dial.
This really ticks me off... The way the world is going...I have little good to say about all of this kind of thing...
Old 05-09-2016, 10:39 PM
GarbageMan
Advanced

Originally Posted by gary k
My issue with this is, surprising as it may seem, I'll want to drink my coffee in the a.m. without the car running "Rs" up in every gear... I assume that the trans has a different map (naturally) in sport mode, and runs shifts at higher points, etc. No, I don't want a Lincoln Continental; I just want a little peace while driving at some points in the a.m... Having to feather the pedal to trick the trans isn't appealing...

Last edited by GarbageMan; 05-10-2016 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Spelling Error
Old 05-09-2016, 10:47 PM
GarbageMan
Advanced

Originally Posted by speed21
Not the case. The function can be set to default off or on by the dealer techs using the piwis. Yours is currently switchable simply because it has been set to default off by the dealer as is the case with my own. Many dealers will do this prior to delivering the car due to the model being what it is, some dealers obviously don't from what i have read here. From what my dealer is saying the 2017 is no different in that regard...it can be done. Just ask which way you want the setting to be set to prior to delivery if it is of concern.
If this is right, all will be good... I'm assuming these Porsches can be "coded" as BMWs can to shut off the driver seat belt alarm, close windows when the car is locked, shut this auto start/stop feature off, etc?
Old 05-10-2016, 04:50 AM
HassaanAbdeen
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2015 is the Auto Start/Stop on all the time every time you turn on the engine unless you turn it off or switching to Sport/Sport+ mode. Once you turn off the engine then restart the car, it goes back on.

I always drive the car in Sport mode, so I don't need to turn it off. I forget about it.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:10 AM
GarbageMan
Advanced

Originally Posted by HassaanAbdeen
My 2015 is the Auto Start/Stop on all the time every time you turn on the engine unless you turn it off or switching to Sport/Sport+ mode. Once you turn off the engine then restart the car, it goes back on.

I always drive the car in Sport mode, so I don't need to turn it off. I forget about it.
I'm headed to the dealer today to talk to the service dept. If they can/will "code it off", all is good. If they can't or won't, I'm seriously going to consider pulling my order. I am very serious about this; I can't stand these liberal-euro "nannys" being foisted upon me. I don't plan to drive the car in sport mode 100% of the time, and am glad I am asking this now...
Old 05-10-2016, 05:16 AM
HassaanAbdeen
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm headed to the dealer today to talk to the service dept. If they can/will "code it off", all is good. If they can't or won't, I'm seriously going to consider pulling my order. I am very serious about this; I can't stand these liberal-euro "nannys" being foisted upon me. I don't plan to drive the car in sport mode 100% of the time, and am glad I am asking this now...
It's a silly useless feature... but it should never turn you off from the ultimate beast on wheels.

Just test drive the car, and you'll know you're on a different league. It destroys every car on the street, drag strip and track. Trust I did beat even the 991 GT3 RS with my turbo on the track.

Nothing comes close... nothing.

If you don't drive in Sport mode, just click the button of the Auto Start/Stop every time you start the engine. Although I doubt one can drive the car without Sport mode... seriously.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:48 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If this is right, all will be good... I'm assuming these Porsches can be "coded" as BMWs can to shut off the driver seat belt alarm, close windows when the car is locked, shut this auto start/stop feature off, etc?
Honestly, if you like the 17 just buy it. Unbelievable car! This truly is a non issue the dealer techs can take care of. Porsche factory supplies all cars with it on to dealers- only permanent if you want it to be. Buy it, post up the picks then let's all talk more if you find you have any gripes which I very much doubt as you will be so stoked. PS it burns no oil like the old motor so don't worry about the stick. Just drive it and watch the competition struggle in the rear view.

Quick Reply: Auto Start/Stop