Sponsored by: Road Spy

Wannagofast Ocala Jan 23-24 -- My Results and Videos

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 08:50 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Wannagofast Ocala Jan 23-24 -- My Results and Videos

Last weekend I participated in both days of the Wannagofast fast half-mile airport races at Jumbolair airport in Ocala, Florida.

I Went with the following car and mods:

2014 991 Turbo S
GIAC Stage 2 plus
Champion Motorsports intercoolers
BMC filter
Champion race Diverter valves
Michelin Pilot Super Sport
ADV1 Track Spec CS wheels (hollowed out on inside for lightness) with titanium fasteners
Ran MS109 race gas with GIAC race gas tune

I drove the car about the first one and a half days but in the last half day, to reduce the car's weight and get the highest trap speed, we switched drivers to one of my friends who is about half my weight for a savings of about 130 pounds. We also took down the go Pro cameras that I had mounted on the car previously.

We tried five different tire pressures with the best results coming at 26 PSI in the rear. We also tried multiple launch techniques trying a full power launch control, a short launch control and a rollout start. We also tried it with traction control on and off. Everything that was drawing power electricitywise from the car was switched off as well as the air-conditioner and heater were switched off.

Conditions were horrific. Temperatures were cold Saturday with temperatures in the 30s and 40s and wins of 20 to 30 mph with gusts into the 40s. One gust on Saturday almost blew my car right off the runway causing me to abort the run. Weather on Sunday started off in the 30s again but there was no wind and temperatures rose into the 60s by the afternoon. Sunday afternoon was definitely the best time for racing. That is when my car achieved its highest trap speeds.

The runway itself was lousy. It was very very slippery and not all that clean. Traction was terrible. My car struggled with every launch during the two day competition and I always spun my wheels on launch whether I launched from a dig or a light roll. Everyone else did as well. Also the second half of the runway was uphill. The combination of low temperatures, low tire traction, and a slippery runway that was at least half uphill caused trap speeds to be lower than at other half-mile events I've seen even though the DA was great.

My car's best result was 161.63 mph. That was with my friend driving who weighs about 130 to 140. Our best traps speed came with traction control off and launching from launch control. Or best trap speed with traction control on was 159. Rollout starts reduced the car's trap speed by 3 mph we found as the car still spun its wheels and you floored it from a light roll. B

The only race which was interesting for me was an unplanned race against a lightly modified Cobb stage 2 991 Turbo. Car had Cobb stage 2 and a Kline exhaust running stock Pirelli PZeros and a 115 pound driver. My car had the 130-140 Pound driver during the race. The race was unexpected as that 991 Turbo had lined up in a lane that normally doesn't race with the lane I was in but the staff saw the two black Porsche turbos and directed them to come to the line together.

My car won that race by more than 3 mph -- 157 for the Cobb to 160 mph for mine. One of the members on 6speed that that car eventually trapped as high as 160 mph on a run, which would only be about a mile per hour slower than my car's best. Here is the video of the race:

I have GoPro videos that I've already put up on my YouTube page but they are all lame. I didn't really have any interesting matchup other then the unplanned match up with the Cobb stage two 911 Turbo S. My videos are just my car beating up slower cars and they are from the second day.

The first day I mounted my go Pros on the right side of the car but then found out from staff that the right lane was faster than the left. So the videos don't really show the other cars at all from that day. I fixed that on the second day by moving the cameras to the car's left side but only kept the cameras up for half a day as the second half of the day we took down cameras and put in a much lighter driver than me in search of finding the car's highest trap speed.

I have no GoPro video of my car racing the Cobb stage 2 car because it was an unplanned race.

If it were, planned my cameras would've been on. I took a video of that race from the starting line because I wasn't driving. When I wasn't driving (most of Sunday afternoon) I took videos of all my car's races from the starting line.

Honestly this event was dominated by American muscle with a smattering of some GTR's (including at least 2 Alpha 16s, a Switzer Goliath X which broke its differential on its first run and the Switzer War Machine) and seriously upgraded Lambos (UGR and Heffner).

There weren't that many other Porsches (and no other 991 Turbo S), McLarens (I believe there was one 650s) or other exotics. The one stock Lamborghini I saw it was a Huracan on Saturday which only trapped at 153. There was one Ferrari in the whole event (my friend's 458 which trapped at 150). This is why I wish I could do Shift Sector exotics which would be much more interesting to me.

Here are the videos I took from the starting line when I was not driving. In one case I was driving and somebody else recorded it.

. -- this was the car's fastest trap of the meet - 161.63 mph

-- second fastest run

Here is a bonus video of my car being offloaded from the trailer in Ocala. This gives you a chance to hear the Tubi catless race exhaust on coldstart up:

Attached Images  
Old 01-28-2016, 08:35 PM
cliffd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Really enjoy your posts. Will you be going to VA in April?
Old 01-28-2016, 10:13 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Thanks! Probably not. The runway is it 4000 foot elevation which is not going to lead to great trap speeds.

I will absolutely be at the slipstream half-mile of which will be announced and I am guessing iwill be somewhere within 2 to 3 Hours Drive to New York City
Old 02-10-2016, 07:16 PM
K.A.W.
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the good info. I had a spot for both days of this event but had to back out at the last minute. I am however entered in the 1/2 mile at tx2k16 and will probably do the 1/2 mile in Indiana and again whenever it is in Georgia. So your notes on tire pressure are appreciated bc it gives me a general idea of where to start. Did you ever race your car prior to switching to PSS?

After I have time to get to know and mod my car I look forward to sharing notes with other owners who race (drag and 1/2 mile). Seems like it will be a relatively small segment of the overall population, kind of like when I had my R8.

Last edited by K.A.W.; 02-10-2016 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:39 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by K.A.W.
Thanks for the good info. I had a spot for both days of this event but had to back out at the last minute. I am however entered in the 1/2 mile at tx2k16 and will probably do the 1/2 mile in Indiana and again whenever it is in Georgia. So your notes on tire pressure are appreciated bc it gives me a general idea of where to start. Did you ever race your car prior to switching to PSS?

After I have time to get to know and mod my car I look forward to sharing notes with other owners who race (drag and 1/2 mile). Seems like it will be a relatively small segment of the overall population, kind of like when I had my R8.
Never raced the car when it had P Zeros. I removed them almost immediately. Have since sold them.

Quick Reply: Wannagofast Ocala Jan 23-24 -- My Results and Videos