Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Another what should I do thread?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 11:02 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 208 Posts
Default Another what should I do thread?

OK...selling my wife's Boxster S and thinking replacement for her. Within the Porsche line, the only obvious choice for her is the Targa 4S - drive year round....easy to park et al. I wish the Panamera was smaller but it is too darn big for her - and she doesn't want an SUV. I feel a little our of sorts because the Targa is so near my TTS in utility (at least the way we use it mostly ) and a properly loaded Targa is about the same number as a 991Turbo. I was going to get a GT4 - (trade my TTS) can't get it...GT3 (can't get it)...get navy blue leather on Targa (can't get it..) anyway I digress. As you can see by my signature, I drive a Range Rover as my daily beater so the TTS gets driven 5,000 KM (3000 miles) a year. Anyone with the wisdom of Solomon to assist me in a vehicle choice for her that perhaps I haven't thought of? All wheel - compact - fast - maybe we should just throw snows on the TTS "share" it and reduce my car load by one vehicle. I have to start thinking about saving for retirement!

Thanks for listening - part therapy for me.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:35 AM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Strongly suggest a set of winter wheels/tires for the TTS. Other than that not sure what your wife's preferences might be. A Macan GTS maybe? The Panamera is a very underrated car and not so difficult to maneuver as nearly everyone seems to think. Moreover, a PGTS actually is a four door sports car that is surprisingly good in highway cruising and in corners.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:00 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Audi S5, S7? BMW or Mercedes sedan with awd?
Old 01-02-2016, 01:02 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,550 Likes on 1,012 Posts

The Mecan is surprisingly un-SUV-like. If you and your wife haven't driven one you should. They aren't flying out of lots as soon as they arrived at every dealer now, like they were this time last year. You should be able to find a couple to test.

On the other hand if you are not too picky about options used TTs and TTSs bracket a new Targa 4s price wise.

A low-optioned Targa 4 would be under the current used TT pricing.

Of course, you can't treat your wife to a European vacation with a used Porsche like you can with an ED-optioned new one.

I kinda-sorta have the same problem. My wife is eyeing a Targa 4S with Leipzig ED. I will be able to hold her off for a year or two with the new engine as the excuse.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:14 PM
FBA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IDK about the US, but in Canada, you can't get a Macan of any sort on a whim. Orders fill in over 8 months on the S and 4-5 on the Turbo. There's very little on the floor these days.

I just got a Macan Turbo for my wife; she loves it and so do I, not as much as my blown SRT, but I do love the truck! Nicely optioned, it was around 106k plus tax, but it's a hell of a truck.

It does not drive like a truck, but rather more like a C4.

Is it worth the premium over the Audi SQ5? Probably not from a financial perspective, but then, no Porsche is, purely from a financial perspective.

I have already been offered what I paid for the Macan, because there are just none around.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:14 PM
GrandLaker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Curious, does the wife not like the Boxster? I've been searching for a Boxster S, '13 or newer for my wife for a while. We test drove a base Boxster and it was so much fun, she's afraid of my Turbo S so she doesn't drive it much.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:02 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrandLaker
Curious, does the wife not like the Boxster? I've been searching for a Boxster S, '13 or newer for my wife for a while. We test drove a base Boxster and it was so much fun, she's afraid of my Turbo S so she doesn't drive it much.
She likes it....but her Avant is going to the Kids to use while going to University..so she needs a 4 seasons car.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:12 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

TTS with snows has huge snow traction. Panamera GTS (I have one)) has incredible handling fit and finish and driver position but it is huge when it comes to parking. And there is very little rear visibility when you park. When you're on the road the car literally seems to shrink into a sports car.

My daily driver is an E63 S AMG sedan. Considerably cheaper than the Panamera GTS and much much faster if not the same level of build quality fit and finish. With a Renntech tune and Renntech sport mufflers the car does the quarter-mile in 11.1 at 127.56 mph and kills the Ferrari F12 from a dig and a roll while still having room for five and their luggage:

Old 01-02-2016, 08:09 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree 2 911's is somewhat duplication in terms of practicality. Macan is the better choice if available. Panamera hmm - really dont like the way that car drives. It feels far to big and unweildy for a low car...and agree with SDG it is a shocker to park. If you want to be low be in a real sports car. I'd take a Cayenne or Macan any day over any Pana....much easier to park too. Maybe even an M4?
Old 01-02-2016, 09:21 PM
Visceral
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 113 Posts

I agree with SDG about the E63S. Obviously I'd suggest a wagon, but if she wants something that feels very normal sized, then a sedan is really nice.

AWD, goes like hell, is really really safe, is wonderful inside and out, etc. I'll keep mine until the wheels fall off. My wife loves everything about it other than the fact that it uses gas and doesn't plug in.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:34 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

S4
Old 01-03-2016, 12:49 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Ditto on the Macan s, my wife took mine over and loves it, very un-SUV as was mentioned. She previously had the panamara 4 and a cayenne, she hated both, both too big. The Macan is much more of a car than a SUV.
Having two 911s is indeed redundant and will lead to the demise of your tts I'm afraid.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:59 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,899 Likes on 4,822 Posts

Jaguar F-Type R

Or, used Huracan.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:14 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 376 Posts

How about Audi TT RS, which can be had in the $50ks?
Old 01-07-2016, 10:00 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Thank you and I appreciate everyone's input. Drove an S6 - nice car....looked at a Jag F type AWD...nice car...drove a BMW 435 hard top convertible x drive with stage 2 'M' option...nice car...then got home to discuss with my wife my "look at these at half price" analysis - opinion of which was met with some consternation. I promptly went to my study and returned the quotation signed for a 2017 Targa 4S with PDK and Burmeister...Sport Seats....Graphite Grey on Chalk due 'Juneish'.

I am a lemming and have no self control.

Quick Reply: Another what should I do thread?