Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

991 Turbo - Sharkwerks or EVOMS or AWE exhaust?

Old 12-22-2015, 05:23 PM
turbofan1
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991 Turbo - Sharkwerks or EVOMS or AWE exhaust?

I just bought my first Porsche (991 Turbo) last week. I also just joined this forum and starting to read the various posts (and enjoying it!). The driving experience is amazing but one of the things that bothers me is the exhaust sound, especially the drone at ~1900-2100 RPM. I'm seriously considering replacement of the stock exhaust and have been researching options and would appreciate inputs.

I'm not looking for a very loud noise, rather a more refined roar especially when I'm in the mood to drive a bit more aggressively but want it to be reasonably quiet when cruising on the highway or when I'm in the mood to listen to some music on my drive after a stressful day at work.

I have been looking at Sharkwerks, AWE and EVOMS. Sharkwerks and EVOM retains the Stock CATS (400-500 cells?) while AWE replaces the stock CATS with a german made 200 cell HJS metal CATS.

My priorities are a) eliminate the drone b) have a richer well rounded sound when accelerating and driving aggressively c) but not too loud inside the car while cruising.

Would appreciate inputs - which of the three would be the best choice for me to consider given my concern on not being too loud while cruising. Thanks!
Old 12-22-2015, 07:03 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Many opinions by many folks, AM exhaust sound is totally subjective.... but my vote is for Sharkwerks.

No drone (and MUCH less than the stock exhaust) at hwy cruise speed.
Just right aggressive sound under throttle and no CEL light that sometimes plagues exhaust with sport cats.

BONUS: Alex and the guys are great to deal with and offer full refund if you are not satisfied.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:37 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by turbofan1
I just bought my first Porsche (991 Turbo) last week. I also just joined this forum and starting to read the various posts (and enjoying it!). The driving experience is amazing but one of the things that bothers me is the exhaust sound, especially the drone at ~1900-2100 RPM. I'm seriously considering replacement of the stock exhaust and have been researching options and would appreciate inputs.

I'm not looking for a very loud noise, rather a more refined roar especially when I'm in the mood to drive a bit more aggressively but want it to be reasonably quiet when cruising on the highway or when I'm in the mood to listen to some music on my drive after a stressful day at work.

I have been looking at Sharkwerks, AWE and EVOMS. Sharkwerks and EVOM retains the Stock CATS (400-500 cells?) while AWE replaces the stock CATS with a german made 200 cell HJS metal CATS.

My priorities are a) eliminate the drone b) have a richer well rounded sound when accelerating and driving aggressively c) but not too loud inside the car while cruising.

Would appreciate inputs - which of the three would be the best choice for me to consider given my concern on not being too loud while cruising. Thanks!
You should check out Europipe. Best high flow catted exhaust of all. And Ask your dealership's Porsche mechanics about Europipe build quality. In a word WOW
Old 12-22-2015, 09:11 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sdg1871
You should check out Europipe. Best high flow catted exhaust of all. And Ask your dealership's Porsche mechanics about Europipe build quality. In a word WOW
+1 on the Europipe! From what I've both seen/heard and used previously I wouldn't touch anything else now. No other AM system uses cats like it - massive diameter tri flow Emmitec cores which mimmic the costly OEM insulated design principles, which none of the other AM cats do. So, why pay for high flow cats which don't share OE design principles? You may as well go catless or stick with the stock cats! So in that sense, if retaining the restrictive stock cats then SW would be the better un muffled pipe (partial system) in the sense that it at least has no restrictive X arrangement like so many other AM system pipes do. X restrictions really are not desirable on a turbo engine hence why the OEM will never use that design. Same as OEM will always use insulated cats as they are more durable and reliable than an uninsulated cats.

Opinions aside.
On a technical side of things, looking at the stock 600 cel cats alongside the EP 100 cel cats clearly shows advancement in design. This is what impressed me the most with EP. There are genuinely legitimate improvements over the stock cats - optimised flow whilst providing proper insulation against thermal shock. So you get the superior performance (which you pay for) and the reliability/durability (which you expect from a Porsche). On the other hand, ALL other 100 and 200 cel cats are significantly smaller in Diameter than EP's and have no insulation, - just a basic core cartridge "as is" straight from the box, then having a flanged inlet and out let welded on either end. Very basic low rent manufacture IMO! So in that sense I would personally stick with stock cats over all these uninsulated higher flow small diameter units as the stock cats have protection against thermal shock which without, can damage the cores and then remove any 'perceived' performance benefit you paid for anyway.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:50 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

This was my car when it had Europipe. It is fantastic. Only reason it is no longer on is I went catless for a little more power up top

Old 12-22-2015, 11:42 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sdg1871
Best place to buy?
Old 12-23-2015, 01:29 AM
turbofan1
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you for your suggestions. I'll checking out Europipe. One thing I forgot to mention is that I want to keep the OEM CATS (i understand it is not ideal but..) because I'm paranoid about CEL as well as warranty..

Given this, any comments on best options where there is very little drone/not much cabin noise at cruising speeds on highways and richer sounds at startup and during aggressive driving?
Old 12-23-2015, 01:37 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gt3Fan
Best place to buy?
Email Stef direct. www.europipe.be

He's #1 to deal with. Very straightforward no BS. I've bought 2 off him now. Stef and his brother Herman hand build each system inc the cats from scratch - do the lot themselves. When I bought my 997tt system it was like 2 to 3 days from the time I paid to get it to my door. Incredible service. I had to wait 2 weeks for my last EP though due to other orders in front of me but he won't let you down. These 2 guys are perfectionists and it really shows in the work. The way the thing fits like a glove to the thou is unbelievable. My dealer did the EP TTS install this time as I wanted them to be comfortable that the system would not compromise the car in any way and they were totally blown away with the whole thing..raving about it. Best to email Stef and ask him how long with xmas due. He wont pressure you in any way...just tells you how long and how much. The rest is left up to you.

PS turbofan1 dont worry with CELs. The EP cats will never do that like these others. Their cats are legit. They did their own smog tests and they were better than the OEM ones. I recall seeing Stef post them on 6 a while back too. Ask stef for the test data. I had my first EP on my 997tt for 3 years and have had my 2nd EP now on my tts for 20 months and both perfect. I think if you are paranoid just go the SW pipe but it has no mufflers so may well not sound as sweet. Try to get an audition on both if its all just about sound, as sound is very subjective. The EP sounds like a turbo PSE....has a real distinct raspy Porsche note with turbo whistle. I totally love mine. best thing I did for the car.

Last edited by speed21; 12-23-2015 at 01:54 AM.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:55 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

thank you for your suggestions. I'll checking out Europipe. One thing I forgot to mention is that I want to keep the OEM CATS (i understand it is not ideal but..) because I'm paranoid about CEL as well as warranty..
Check with your dealer on warranty exclusion and also ask the sellers if they offer a full money back guarantee to assure you will be satisfied.

Sharkwerks' owner Alex Ross direct email: Sharky

this, any comments on best options where there is very little drone/not much cabin noise at cruising speeds on highways and richer sounds at startup and during aggressive driving?
Like I suggested, there are many opinions, while some will cloak their opinion in MORE opinion, bafflegab and pseudo-science.... on what "sounds" best.

In the end, BOTH figuratively and literally, it's a sound enhancer.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:21 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

I went with Sharkwerks and I'm very happy. I didn't want to replace the OEM cats, either. There is a slight drone around 45-48mph under normal acceleration, but it's no worse than stock and goes away quickly, but sounds MUCH better the rest of the time. Dealer installed the SW and it does not affect the warranty at all.

That Europipe does sound incredible!!! I've never actually been able to hear the turbos spooling before!
Old 12-23-2015, 11:06 AM
Verinnal
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got my europipe from Alex at TAG motor sports. Good price. Great guy.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:28 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyc151
I went with Sharkwerks and I'm very happy. I didn't want to replace the OEM cats, either. There is a slight drone around 45-48mph under normal acceleration, but it's no worse than stock and goes away quickly, but sounds MUCH better the rest of the time. Dealer installed the SW and it does not affect the warranty at all.

That Europipe does sound incredible!!! I've never actually been able to hear the turbos spooling before!
+1 If you want to keep the OEM cats (like I did), I suggest Sharkwerks, too. The Sharkwerks team did my install and I agree it sounds great.

Old 12-23-2015, 02:27 PM
dds007
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Wow I'm in the same situation! Just got my 991 TT 2 weeks ago lol. Haven't driven it much since I'm on vacation though.

Have watched all the YouTube videos and listened to the exhausts, I think the tubi race exhaust sounds the best. It's more aggressive than the others which is what I was going for.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:44 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dds007
Wow I'm in the same situation! Just got my 991 TT 2 weeks ago lol. Haven't driven it much since I'm on vacation though.

Have watched all the YouTube videos and listened to the exhausts, I think the tubi race exhaust sounds the best. It's more aggressive than the others which is what I was going for.
The Tubi catless race exhaust sounds amazing. It is higher pitched than some of the others under load (adding a little Italian flavor to a hard core German icon) and has zero drone. It is a beautiful sound with great performance with a tune.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:46 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

If the OP needs to keep stock cats the Sharkwerks fits the bill. But if the OP wants to tune the car you need to move to at least high flow cats such as Europipe, GMG exhaust, Tubi street exhaust, etc.

For catless to me there is the Tubi catless race exhaust and then there is everyone else.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991 Turbo - Sharkwerks or EVOMS or AWE exhaust?