Sponsored by: Road Spy

Gt3 owner, switch to turbo owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 09:29 AM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 745 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Gt3Fan
Regarding the stage 2 GIAC or COBB, what is needed besides the device, different exhaust/headers ect?
For stage two that is an exhaust and a tune. You can just do a stage one and get the tune without the exhaust.

Do your research. Many loooong discussions between GIAC vs Cobb. I did the exhaust first (bbi) and then will add the tune (Cobb) here shortly.

You will love the car. Other than all the brake dust you will now get, you will not notice a difference in the brakes.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:22 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Winter tires have arrived, ready for the snow!
Attached Images  
Old 12-08-2015, 05:42 PM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Received 277 Likes on 174 Posts

To your original question, I tracked my '14 tts at VIR 20 days this year, with only a small hiccup with a brake pad at one point, and a broken strut that the dealer covered under warranty after the very first track day. I'd say the car is near bulletproof, and I love driving to the track instead of hauling.

I've never driven a GT3 in anger, but I can tell you that with a few little tweaks, I crush most every 991 GT3 I encounter. (OK - one guy could just flat drive, but I could hang with him!) I changed the following: Cup2 tires, HRE wheels because, well, they are gorgeous and much lighter, H&R springs make a HUGE difference, Sharkwerks exhaust, and I changed to the GT3 steering wheel in alcantara.

I think you will be very pleased with your results at the track, especially once you get rid of those so-so Pzeros and get used to the extra 300 pounds. Braking is comparable with the GT3, meaning phenomenal. (The brakes are actually bigger than the GT3 due to the added weight) The AWD is addicting on turn exits!!! Go back on power sooner than you can imagine, and it will be fine with some good tires. I think the weight thing gets in your head, but the TTS is lighter than a lot of very fast cars, and only 300 pounds more than GT3 once you take all of the accessory crap out from under the bonnet. It's about trusting the car, not the anti-turbo purist hype.

Finally, Hoosier is supposedly coming out with track tires for the 991 GT3/TTS in January, but I am going to try the Pirelli Pzero Trofeo R first. Interested in looking into trying the Cup 2 265/325 setup another poster mentioned, too.

Last edited by Randyc151; 12-09-2015 at 01:39 AM.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:49 PM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 432 Likes on 183 Posts

Randy,
I have my first set of 265/325 MSC2 on stock wheels. no issues, except a little rubbing on inner wheel well liner on lock to lock turn in. I have H&R lowering springs too.
I have only had one track day on them at Palm Beach raceway. My lap times over Trofeo Rs was 3 to 4 sec faster. That day at PBIR i was running with GT3RS and 2 new 991 GT3 Cups cars. GT3RS never got close.
1 of the Cups i could keep up with due me being faster on the straights. 2 cup the driver was a young pro driving at 9/10, he spun the car twice that day.

I have a GIAC stage 2+tune too.

Can't wait to go to Sebring next year.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:59 AM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Karl911
Randy,
I have my first set of 265/325 MSC2 on stock wheels. no issues, except a little rubbing on inner wheel well liner on lock to lock turn in. I have H&R lowering springs too.
I have only had one track day on them at Palm Beach raceway. My lap times over Trofeo Rs was 3 to 4 sec faster. That day at PBIR i was running with GT3RS and 2 new 991 GT3 Cups cars. GT3RS never got close.
1 of the Cups i could keep up with due me being faster on the straights. 2 cup the driver was a young pro driving at 9/10, he spun the car twice that day.

I have a GIAC stage 2+tune too.

Can't wait to go to Sebring next year.
Any pictures of the car with those 265/325 tires? I'd just love to take a look at how they fit the wheels and the rear fender wells before I take the leap. Those tires are also considerably larger diameter than stock, so any picts would be great.

PS - 3 to 4 seconds quicker is a hell of a lot of difference! Anything else changed? (Sorry for the thread hijack)
Old 12-09-2015, 08:22 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Attachment 999276

Attachment 999277

Attachment 999278

Last edited by Karl911; 01-31-2021 at 05:05 AM.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:36 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

My car ha not lowered. I wonder if Karl's tire sizes would fit without rubbing.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:48 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyc151
To your original question, I tracked my '14 tts at VIR 20 days this year, with only a small hiccup with a brake pad at one point, and a broken strut that the dealer covered under warranty after the very first track day. I'd say the car is near bulletproof, and I love driving to the track instead of hauling.

I've never driven a GT3 in anger, but I can tell you that with a few little tweaks, I crush most every 991 GT3 I encounter. (OK - one guy could just flat drive, but I could hang with him!) I changed the following: Cup2 tires, HRE wheels because, well, they are gorgeous and much lighter, H&R springs make a HUGE difference, Sharkwerks exhaust, and I changed to the GT3 steering wheel in alcantara.

I think you will be very pleased with your results at the track, especially once you get rid of those so-so Pzeros and get used to the extra 300 pounds. Braking is comparable with the GT3, meaning phenomenal. (The brakes are actually bigger than the GT3 due to the added weight) The AWD is addicting on turn exits!!! Go back on power sooner than you can imagine, and it will be fine with some good tires. I think the weight thing gets in your head, but the TTS is lighter than a lot of very fast cars, and only 300 pounds more than GT3 once you take all of the accessory crap out from under the bonnet. It's about trusting the car, not the anti-turbo purist hype.

Finally, Hoosier is supposedly coming out with track tires for the 991 GT3/TTS in January, but I am going to try the Pirelli Pzero Trofeo R first. Interested in looking into trying the Cup 2 265/325 setup another poster mentioned, too.

Good feedback, thanks. As mentioned I have the cup2's already for tracking, I'm considering the springs but am a bit on the fence still. There is absolutely MUCH more body roll with my turbo compared to the GT3 which cornered incredibly flat.

Any overheating issues? Or the typical forum BS stating the turbo overheats after a few hard laps? I assumed so, as I have had plenty of turbo's running with me in my GT3 and i NEVER saw yet one, over heat/heat soak.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:56 PM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Good feedback, thanks. As mentioned I have the cup2's already for tracking, I'm considering the springs but am a bit on the fence still. There is absolutely MUCH more body roll with my turbo compared to the GT3 which cornered incredibly flat.

Any overheating issues? Or the typical forum BS stating the turbo overheats after a few hard laps? I assumed so, as I have had plenty of turbo's running with me in my GT3 and i NEVER saw yet one, over heat/heat soak.
The H&R springs don't ride TOO much differently than the OEM suspension, but the body roll goes down to nil.

I drive at VIR in the summer, which can be sweltering, and I've never had heat soak of the car...sometimes the driver...but I run with the A/C on unless I encounter a buddy out there! Just be sure you do a nice cool down tour around the paddock afterwards to cool down the brakes, and you are fine. I've never had a problem doing a 40 minute stint in the summer.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:39 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I suffered from severe host soak power loss with stock intercoolers and the GiAC Stage 2 tune. GIAC stated In writing on another forum that it has written that tune to aggressively reduce power with the stock intercoolers once intake air temps start rising beyond safe levels to keep them within normal limits. The stock intercoolers cannot handle the increased heat resulting from the increased boost of a powerful tune. The power reduction took the car back to about stock levels once things started getting hot

Once I added the Champion intercoolers and the GIAC Stage 2+ tune which is designed for their much greater cooling capacity the heat soak went away.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:55 PM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Is your car just a Turbo or is it Turbo S, I think PDCC is standard on the S, but not on Turbo. My car runs dead flat!
Old 12-10-2015, 06:49 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If he has roll, he does not have PDCC. As you would know, the PDCC makes the car run dead flat, steers like a GT3...super sharp.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:07 AM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by speed21
If he has roll, he does not have PDCC. As you would know, the PDCC makes the car run dead flat, steers like a GT3...super sharp.
I have the S with PDCC, and I can tell you that going up the climbing esses at VIR at 125... the stock suspension has roll. With H&R's, there is no more roll, although my ***** still think there is a hint of it!!

(See my picture to the left - that's taken at the top of the esses, and I'm actually moving to the right side of the track in that picture, but the car is dead flat)
Old 12-10-2015, 09:11 AM
HassaanAbdeen
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the S with PDCC, and I can tell you that going up the climbing esses at VIR at 125... the stock suspension has roll. With the H&R, there is no more roll, although my ***** still think there is a hint of it!!

(See my picture to the left - that's taken at the top of the esses, and I'm actually moving to the right side of the track in that picture, but the car is dead flat)
You're right. The body roll can be experienced only under mad hard fast cornering with screaming tires... But it's still science fiction to me every time I corner
Old 12-10-2015, 05:14 PM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

I have the S with PDCC, and I can tell you that going up the climbing esses at VIR at 125... the stock suspension has roll. With H&R's, there is no more roll, although my ***** still think there is a hint of it!!

I did VIR in June for the first time and those ESSES, I just kept thinkng of those condos on the left. I will be back next June for 2 days!

Quick Reply: Gt3 owner, switch to turbo owner