Sponsored by: Road Spy

Gt3 owner, switch to turbo owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 07:51 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Gt3Fan

Very nice and did you track the gt3 quite a bit?

So far, I'm finding the turbo, a very exciting vehicle, which shocking rid, comfort and acceleration.

Steering is not as direct as the gt3 and of course the throttle response is different and the sound as well. But there's so many other unique attributes I'm loving so far.
Tracked the GT3 a ton! Took a stock GT3 and modded the crap out of the suspension with Intrax 4 way adjustable coilovers and RSS bits, brakes, 996 Cup transmission, Cup shift cables, SharkWrks exhaust, light weight flywheel and clutch, OMP seats, 6 pt belts, etc etc...

Then realized while brilliant on the track.. it was a total PITA on the street and ended up with an enclosed trailer just to get to and from the track. Sold it and got the TT.

Sure I miss the GT3 sound and raw feel, but for me the TT is everything AND a bowl of cherries. It's that good!

I have no plans to track the TT much, but have had it out 3 times to see what it can do. It's a rocket in straight line and for what it is (100% stock), pretty nimble and planted in corners. Also love PDK in Sport Plus on the track.

But the downside.. for me... also have a Radical SR3 RS and compete in club racing and also a Radical race series. Now, quite honestly the TT and even the GT3 feel BIG, heavy... and even slow on track by comparison.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:41 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Tracked the GT3 a ton! Took a stock GT3 and modded the crap out of the suspension with Intrax 4 way adjustable coilovers and RSS bits, brakes, 996 Cup transmission, Cup shift cables, SharkWrks exhaust, light weight flywheel and clutch, OMP seats, 6 pt belts, etc etc...

Then realized while brilliant on the track.. it was a total PITA on the street and ended up with an enclosed trailer just to get to and from the track. Sold it and got the TT.

Sure I miss the GT3 sound and raw feel, but for me the TT is everything AND a bowl of cherries. It's that good!

I have no plans to track the TT much, but have had it out 3 times to see what it can do. It's a rocket in straight line and for what it is (100% stock), pretty nimble and planted in corners. Also love PDK in Sport Plus on the track.

But the downside.. for me... also have a Radical SR3 RS and compete in club racing and also a Radical race series. Now, quite honestly the TT and even the GT3 feel BIG, heavy... and even slow on track by comparison.

Great post, thanks for sharing all that. My thing with my previous gt3 was that I wasn't going to mod it for the track, everything was stock besides the exhaust. I knew if I was going to start, better to just get a dedicated track car instead of ruining my DD. I loved the ability to drive to the track, tear it up and then drive home. Looking to do the same with the turbo, just interested if I can drive it as hard. I know its quicker in a straight light but interested in how it handles the turns and the break zones. Time will tell, in the mean time loving its usability.

Those radicals look amazing, have to try one one day. Recognize they are a whole different level than any street car.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:58 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My stock '15 TTS has been bulletproof as well, although I have only six track days. The GT3 and TT/TTS are obviously very different and all exceptional. My limited experience with a '15 GT3 on track at Barber recently was fun and very confidence inspiring. Back to back TTS and GT3 on track had me wanting to get a GT3. Maybe its lighter weight and different suspension are the reason. That said, the AWD of the TT/TTS is some compensation for the extra weight. The TTS definitely feels a lot heavier on the track. You may find that the iron rotors on your TT are not quite up to the stopping force as your PCCB GT3, but they are more than adequate on track. You also may feel the unsprung weight difference on track. The turbo thrust is addictive. Enjoy the new ride.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:08 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Originally Posted by AndrewP
My stock '15 TTS has been bulletproof as well, although I have only six track days. The GT3 and TT/TTS are obviously very different and all exceptional. My limited experience with a '15 GT3 on track at Barber recently was fun and very confidence inspiring. Back to back TTS and GT3 on track had me wanting to get a GT3. Maybe its lighter weight and different suspension are the reason. That said, the AWD of the TT/TTS is some compensation for the extra weight. The TTS definitely feels a lot heavier on the track. You may find that the iron rotors on your TT are not quite up to the stopping force as your PCCB GT3, but they are more than adequate on track. You also may feel the unsprung weight difference on track. The turbo thrust is addictive. Enjoy the new ride.
Regarding the weight difference and the stopping power, I can already feel the difference, you're spot on and I need to adjust pushing harder on the brakes. Part of that is due to the PCCB's on my gt3 VS the irons on my turbo. But I wanted to specifically try the irons over the pccb's on the turbo and on the track. The stopping power was insane with my gt3 pccb's but I didn't always love how hard that initial bite on the track was with too often ABS kicking on. Figured I would find out if the irons had a more progressive feel, as well as taking into the extra weight of the turbo and the cost of the PCCB's rotors
Old 11-20-2015, 05:43 PM
rmauro
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Well two weeks after doing a deal to trade my 15 GT3 for a 17 TTS- great deal both ways- I decided to hold my car- with the RS trading north of 300k the resale value of these plain GT3s will be supported and look cheap if there is such a word in dealing with Porsches -JMHO.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:20 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Originally Posted by rmauro
Well two weeks after doing a deal to trade my 15 GT3 for a 17 TTS- great deal both ways- I decided to hold my car- with the RS trading north of 300k the resale value of these plain GT3s will be supported and look cheap if there is such a word in dealing with Porsches -JMHO.
Didn't realize they were offering 2017's already?

I'm already seeing gt3's go down in price, though I got a decent deal on mine. The RS will go down soon as well I'm sure, the prices are beyond absurd. I look forward to getting an RS when the time is right but I''m not thinking I'm going to get rid of the turbo for it, its that good. I think they would make the perfect duo.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:40 PM
rmauro
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

IMHO as long as RSs are 125-150 over MSRP and who would track that car- the plain old GT3 at 150k with 25 less hp looks like a bargain.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:51 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

I had a '15 GT3, have a TT and a RS. How raw do you like your Porsche? I would rather have an RS than a GT3 but only at MSRP. The TT is a quieter car and a little different experience.

It just depends on what flavor 911 you like.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:04 PM
BarryC
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 30 Posts

I switched to a TTS cab from a 991 GT3 and Boxster GTS. I like the cab a lot but miss the GT3. If I could swing keeping the TTS and adding a 991 GT3 - that would be an awesome combo imo.

BC
Old 11-22-2015, 07:49 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
I had a '15 GT3, have a TT and a RS. How raw do you like your Porsche? I would rather have an RS than a GT3 but only at MSRP. The TT is a quieter car and a little different experience.

It just depends on what flavor 911 you like.
First mod on the TTS has to be exhaust. Stock is so so quiet.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:53 AM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default TT exhaust and other mods

Maybe it is my imagination, but my '15 TTS stock exhaust with just over 10k miles seems deeper and more resonant than when it was new. That said, if I go with an AM exhaust system, it would be the Europipe. Still not sure I want to mess with the suspension, like fitting Techart springs that lower the car about an inch. While the lower suspension setting definitely looks better, still not sure that the lowering cannot be accomplished with different PASM settings, which to me would be preferable to adding different hardware. Of course, there is the concern that modifications may impair durability, to say nothing of warranty protection, which under the heat and pressure of circuit days matters a lot. Bone stock, the 991 TTS is no slouch on the track. Yes a Cobb tune and other mods may increase lap times a bit, but I have focused on trying to improve my technique with instruction and seat time at the PSDS.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:13 AM
wrs
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewP
Maybe it is my imagination, but my '15 TTS stock exhaust with just over 10k miles seems deeper and more resonant than when it was new. That said, if I go with an AM exhaust system, it would be the Europipe. Still not sure I want to mess with the suspension, like fitting Techart springs that lower the car about an inch. While the lower suspension setting definitely looks better, still not sure that the lowering cannot be accomplished with different PASM settings, which to me would be preferable to adding different hardware. Of course, there is the concern that modifications may impair durability, to say nothing of warranty protection, which under the heat and pressure of circuit days matters a lot. Bone stock, the 991 TTS is no slouch on the track. Yes a Cobb tune and other mods may increase lap times a bit, but I have focused on trying to improve my technique with instruction and seat time at the PSDS.
I think that happened on my M5 but I ended up buying the Dinan exhaust at about 11k miles anyway and was very happy with it. There was a deeper tone and the tips looked way better. My car has had the FVD exhaust with high flow cats since I bought it and that is an aggressive and loud exhaust. I am de-catting it for more performance so it's going to get even louder now. I have never experienced the stock 991tts exhaust so I can't speak to it but I put a Fabspeed on my wife's CTTS last month after over a year with the stock exhaust and it's definitely an improvement in my book. I don't think the CTTS sounded any different after a year though, it had about 20k on it at the time I put the Fabspeed on and we bought the CTTS new in July 2014.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:28 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

both great porsches.
So different that you want two of them.

With kids, the turbo makes the most sence.

I have both in 997.
I use the child seat in the turbo.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:14 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Originally Posted by wrs
I think that happened on my M5 but I ended up buying the Dinan exhaust at about 11k miles anyway and was very happy with it. There was a deeper tone and the tips looked way better. My car has had the FVD exhaust with high flow cats since I bought it and that is an aggressive and loud exhaust. I am de-catting it for more performance so it's going to get even louder now. I have never experienced the stock 991tts exhaust so I can't speak to it but I put a Fabspeed on my wife's CTTS last month after over a year with the stock exhaust and it's definitely an improvement in my book. I don't think the CTTS sounded any different after a year though, it had about 20k on it at the time I put the Fabspeed on and we bought the CTTS new in July 2014.
Do you have any vids of your car with the fvd exhaust? Which are considered the top 2-3 best sounding exhaust for the turbo's?

On my gt3 I replaced the side mufflers with fvd's bipass's and loved the sound.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:11 AM
wrs
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gt3Fan
Do you have any vids of your car with the fvd exhaust? Which are considered the top 2-3 best sounding exhaust for the turbo's?

On my gt3 I replaced the side mufflers with fvd's bipass's and loved the sound.

CTTS with Fabspeed

My Car a year ago with headers, IPD Plenum and FVD exhaust with high flow cats. I am decatting and I have ByDesign ICs and a IPD Plenum now with a Cobb Tune so the sound may be a little different now, this has drive by so it's more complete.

Quick Reply: Gt3 owner, switch to turbo owner