Sponsored by: Road Spy

Two 911's Better than One?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 08:46 PM
cweed
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
I would do that as a first priority then make a decision from there. I would be surprised to hear if option one mattered any more after doing so.
+1 on that and spend a fair bit of time in the car when you do.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:39 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

I had a 997 TT, bought a 991 C2S, liked it more in every way so sold the turbo. IMO the 991TT, that I own now feels about the same but is faster. A great DD. I don't track my cars. No downside to owning any TT.

I also owned a '15 GT3 (RS is on the boat), a much firmer, grittier car than any of the above.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:57 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
The list of Porsches I own is right below. My opinions are mine, and represented as mine only, as stated in my earlier post. I currently have six GT3's (among other Porsches), so OP and all readers are aware of my point of reference, which admittedly, is skewed from the norm of RL members. Of the six GT3's...the 991 is clearly the 'softest' in feel...it performs beautifully, and I don't plan to sell it, but it is undeniably more insulated than all others.

FWIW, I have driven 997.1 and 997.2 TT's, on track and on road. I have also driven a 991 TT on the road briskly (not yet on track). To me, the 991TT is soft. What I mean by that is not that the acceleration is soft (it is certainly not) but the feel of the car overall, in how it manages its weight and its stability in turns and over bumps at speed, IS SOFT, in a relative sense.

Sorry if this is may not be what some TT owners want to hear, but there are no armchairs opinions offered here. Just my own, one person's take-aways from actually having driven these cars. Obviously, from my choice of P-Cars, I am NOT a TT kinda guy... I track my cars frequently and the ones I do not track, I drive them hard on the road. To me this type of use is what they are made for.

This all having been said, I am still suggesting to the OP that the 997 TT is worth having, but also an NA 991 as well (especially with a stick with sport chrono). No offense to anyone else, just my own opinion. At the end of the day, it is about what the OP seeks and likes, and how he intends to use the car(s)...
Yes I noticed that beforehand - and no offense intended to you personally - was generalizing with certain comments made. I still go back to the official Nurburgring times on all of these cars mentioned, which alleviates any arguments regarding who can drive what better than the next person. The TTS is not a soft car from my experience to date however I would agree the GT3 is harder in respect to the suspension set up. That said the TTS has much the same in firmness with sport PDCC engaged. The Pdcc makes quite a difference from what I've found under hard driving. In normal it could be said to be soft and in sport also if compared with a 991GT3 set up. Again the NR times show the stiffer set up on the GT3 has not allowed a better lap time. Most of these cars see more time spent on the street and the impression I got from OP is that is where he will be using his car. Correct me if I'm wrong. Therefore out of the current line up the current tts is a very hard act to beat. If you've driven a new tt perhaps try the tts with the torquier engine, pdcc and ceramics. It is a very well rounded package. I certainly have found it VERY impressive toward the limit, and as a daily, very practical, hard to fault really.

Originally Posted by cweed
+1 on that and spend a fair bit of time in the car when you do.
I would agree. This is the kind of car that really needs to be taken toward the limit to get a real understanding and appreciation for the package Porsche has put together in this car. Sure it is no GT3 but it doesn't need to be.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:18 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Fwiw I recently went on a very spirited back roads drive with a handful of Ferraris, including a 458 Speciale. It was no problem keeping up, in the turns or straights. The improvements in the 991 chassis give the 911 handling close to the mid-engine Ferraris with their inherently superior layout.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:51 AM
eddtiff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Option 1.

I think by having 2 911s, you'll end up driving 1 only. If I was to get a 2nd sports car, I would definitely buy another brand instead. Probably either a 488 Spider or Huracan.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:42 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

I have 2 911 turbos, including a 997TT.

I drive both both of them plenty.

You have to drive them and see if what you prefer.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:45 PM
Visceral
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 112 Posts

I have the cars listed below, but I am getting a stroooooooong hankering for a stick-shift RWD convertible (must be that time of year, I bet I could get a good deal with the onslaught of rain, snow and early sunsets).

Could be 997, could be a 964, could be a NC Flyin Miata. Who knows. But I understand why one would want a couple different 911s.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:15 PM
FBA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My current roadster is a Gen IV Viper in V V O ...but the more I see the 991 TTS Cab, the more I like it. Never really liked 911 cabs, till the 991's. Maybe my next vert!

I love my 991 TTS Coupe...she's built to Stage 3 and she hammers hard!

Quick Reply: Two 911's Better than One?